Finally, a great game vs AI

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Jacozilla, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Jacozilla

Jacozilla Warlord

I'm sure it was blind rng chance and not actually the AI being "smart" but I finally had a game against the AI that at least for awhile felt like a move by human players or coalition of human players.

Usually play apollo or Soyuz but was going for the build all wonders achievement, so started game one level below Soyuz. Was hardly expecting a challenge.

To my surprise though, fairly early on - turn 125 or so I think - the entire AI world ganged up on me and declared war -each one said something to effect of if I don't take you out now, will be too late if you become a runaway. Those weren't the words of course and wish I'd screenshot it but it was clearly a message saying basically better take you out now before you become a runaway

I'd played peacefully with all AI except one - the one that shared my landmass and I eliminated, leaving 4 AI players and me. Had only built 3-4 wonders and while was leading score, wasn't by huge amount.

Anyway, the coalition of AI must have all signed open borders because the entire AI horde, like some massive rainbow coalition with units from 3 of the 4 AI in first wave, came against my one lone city outside my landmass, the AI I'd knocked out had gave it to me in one of our peace agreements before I eliminated him.

Cut off from my landmass and no phasal transporters yet, I had only enough energy to buy a few units since I'd broken my CiV habit of hoarding gold as in CBE usually stockpiled energy is a waste - might as well rush buy buildings as you get the excess energy. Except of course when you now have the entire world going ape on you. And wished you'd hoarded energy.

Again, I know it wasn't the AI being really smart but some weird fluke of rng and game triggers, but in this one rare case, it was a good backstab move by the entire AI coalition - just like human players would, they basically pm'd each other and whispered - hey, this guy just took over his landmass - if we give him too much time he's going to spread like a plague. Let's all declare war on the chump and after we dispose of his corpse, then we'll go back to hating each other.

They took out my city, I renamed it to Alamo just before it fell because that's what it sure felt like. And for 50 turns or so it was pretty challenging fending off the AI world.

The only saving grace was that as usual, AI naval assaults across water is like the blind leading the blind. So once they lost most their units in the lemmings wave it was game over.

But still, really felt surprised in one of those rare BE games where the AI actually did a pretty human backstab lol.

2. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

sounds fantastic!

sorry, whats rng?

3. Jacozilla

Jacozilla Warlord

RNG stands for random number generator.

In contextual speech regarding civ - I and lot of ppl use it as slang to mean generally anything that is a random, or chance, or luck part of the game.

4. Velasti

Velasti Warlord

So if you want a greater challenge, turn down the difficulty?

5. Jacozilla

Jacozilla Warlord

Oh no.,I know this was a bit unusual game, like I said just pure random chance the AIs actually decided to gang up at a good time (early before pesky human becomes dominant), all in coalition (3 of the 4 AIs brought a massive rainbow coalition of allied troops to storm my Alamo city), and absolutely no warning - just end turn and then it's on.

Not that CBE Apollo is like civ deity, but normally when I play on Apollo it's a decent game. I guess Apollo is the new immortal or maybe even a half level below CiV immortal. If the AIs had acted this way in Apollo instead of one below Soyuz, I'd have lost the game and not just my one city.

6. jokii

jokii Chieftain

are you kidding ? :confused: , apollo is a joke....
    noooooooooob :lol:

Moderator Action: Do not insult other posters about the difficulty level on which they choose to play, regardless of reason.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

7. Jacozilla

Jacozilla Warlord

I will punctuate with period pauses to accentuate my response.

Reading....comprehension....for....the......win.

If you're going to quote me, don't selective parse the quote.
    "Usually play apollo or Soyuz but was going for the build all wonders achievement, so started game one level below Soyuz. Was hardly expecting a challenge."

As stated in my op, was going for all wonders in one game rather than spread out.

Think all you want about Apollo being a joke. Even the dumb AI is going to snag a few wonders. If you're claiming you win Apollo all the time - easily believable. If you claim you win Apollo without the AI getting a single wonder, the last word of your post applies.