FINALLY, a polling company asks the questions REAL AMERICANS want ANSWERS to

Should we have an extra hipster tax to help with the deficit?

• If I listen carefully, I can hear Richard Florida crying right now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
On the subject of hipsters.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/05/americans-so-over-hipsters.html
PPP said:
Americans So Over Hipsters

Just 16% of Americans have a favorable opinion of hipsters, a new PPP poll on the much-discussed subculture shows. 42% have an unfavorable opinion of hipsters, and 43% aren’t sure. Democrats (18% favorable, 34% unfav) are twice as likely as Republicans (9% fav, 48% unfav) to have a favorable opinion. Voters age 18-29 have a favorable opinion of them (43% fav-29% unfav), but very few voters over age 65 do (6% fav -37% unfav).

Just 10% of voters say they consider themselves to be hipsters – and almost all of those are younger voters. Half of all voters aged 18-29 consider themselves hipsters; every other age group is 5% or less.

14% of voters say they’d be more likely to vote for a hipster for political office – mostly independent voters. 12% of Democrats and 27% of independent voters say they’d be more likely to vote for a hipster, but just 2% of Republicans agreed. 98% of Republicans say they’d be less likely to vote for a hipster.

We asked voters whether they thought hipsters made a positive cultural contribution to society or whether they just “soullessly appropriate cultural tropes from the past for their own ironic amusement.” 23% of voters said they made positive cultural contributions while nearly half – 46% – went with soulless cultural appropriation. Independents at 31% were most likely to say hipsters make a positive cultural contribution, while Republicans were least likely (15%) with Democrats in the middle (23%).

27% of voters said they thought hipsters should be subjected to a special tax for being so annoying, while 73% did not think so.
About one in five voters (21%) said they thought Pabst Blue Ribbon, commonly associated with hipsters, was a good beer. Democrats (29%) were more likely than Republicans (23%) to think so, while independents (11%) were least likely.

What do we think? A hipster tax sounds like a sound fiscal policy to me.

Why should there be a special tax for jeans

We should not be taxing hipsters.

We should also not be dropping hipsters from drones on Americans on American soil, when there is no imminent danger.

People should be able to open carry hipsters.

We should not be supplying Syrian rebels with hipsters.

If more people had hipsters legally, then the ones who obtain hipsters illegally can be defended against more properly.

I have no idea either.

But I've come to understand that hipsters apparently aren't real men, so I'm pretty sure I don't like them. The men at least.

Women can be hipsters too, right?

A hipster, according to some definitions, is simply someone who follows the latest trends or fashions.

But I thought they more generally set the trends.

I met this nurse the other day with bright orange hair and swanky boots. I told her I thought she was a hipster, and she seemed quite pleased with the idea.

We should also not be dropping hipsters from drones on Americans on American soil, when there is no imminent danger.
I, for one, support the dropping of hipsters on terrorist strongholds as part of a global anti-terrorist campaign.

Whatever they are, they share the beginning of the name with hippies, so they're a clearly a danger to society. We should implement a tagging and tracking system.

HIPster
HIPpies

Coincidence?! I think not!

A hipster is generally someone who cares deeply about appearance, but would deny it vehemently, and also also wears obscure and/or nonfunctional articles of clothing. Hipsters are generally also drawn to the oldschool, meaning vinyl and doing other stuff, before it was popular.

If you see a guy sporting a fedora hat, black glasses without the lenses, a monocle, riding a unicycle while whistling the tune to some indie rock band you don't know about, take some photos, because that's a hipster.

The only thing that seems really interesting or surprising here is that so many young Americans in the poll would self-identify as hipsters, actually.

Non-American hipsters are generally better, or maybe less worse, hipsters.

All the hipser-hating brings people together.

It reminds me of the good old days when everyboddy suddenly hated disco. Because, you know, dance-music clealry is a big threat to the common good.

I, for one, support the dropping of hipsters on terrorist strongholds as part of a global anti-terrorist campaign.

Like a wedding in Pakistan? Would you like a hipster dropped onto your wedding? A hipster on the bride? Her father? The minister?

That's just rude.

All the hipser-hating brings people together.

It reminds me of the good old days when everyboddy suddenly hated disco. Because, you know, dance-music clealry is a big threat to the common good.

I hated hipsters before it was cool.

Top Bottom