Finally finished my first game -- That was underwhelming

I've started 4 games of Civ V so far. The first game I intentionally quit early because I learned enough I wanted to try a new game from the beginning. My second game was ruined by the save file corrupting bug. My third game was ruined by the infinite peace treaty bug. For my fourth game I decided to try a game on the earth map as Askia - The River Warlord on King difficulty. I ran away in the scoring from the start, and I finished a Domination in 320 turns, in exactly 1900 AD. I probably could have done it a little faster if I had realized the victory condition was only taking the Capitals of the major Civilizations, I started out in Africa and managed to settle all of Europe and Asia, then I just swung the Bombers and Armor over to America to take out the Aztecs.

I must say the ending screen is pretty underwhelming. I ended up with Augustus Ceaser as my score, and that was about it.

Another odd bit from the demographics screen, the population for my empire, which was more or less the entire earth at the end of it, was only 4 people per square kilometer. Doesn't that seem low to anyone?

I've started 4 games of Civ V so far. The first game I intentionally quit early because I learned enough I wanted to try a new game from the beginning. My second game was ruined by the save file corrupting bug. My third game was ruined by the infinite peace treaty bug. For my fourth game I decided to try a game on the earth map as Askia - The River Warlord on King difficulty. I ran away in the scoring from the start, and I finished a Domination in 320 turns, in exactly 1900 AD. I probably could have done it a little faster if I had realized the victory condition was only taking the Capitals of the major Civilizations, I started out in Africa and managed to settle all of Europe and Asia, then I just swung the Bombers and Armor over to America to take out the Aztecs.

I must say the ending screen is pretty underwhelming. I ended up with Augustus Ceaser as my score, and that was about it.

Another odd bit from the demographics screen, the population for my empire, which was more or less the entire earth at the end of it, was only 4 people per square kilometer. Doesn't that seem low to anyone?

All I can tell you is CONGRATULATIONS!!! I've put my copy on the shelf until the game is improved. Hopefully they made enough money to make the game better, though I have my doubts.

Unfortunately it only gets worse as you learn a few tricks.
4 people per square kilometer might not be too far off considering how many cities get razed. (at least when I play.)

A little, but not amazingly so as an average - according to Wiki the US is 30 and Russia is 8 (I imagine the USSR was probably lower).

Unfortunately it only gets worse as you learn a few tricks.
4 people per square kilometer might not be too far off considering how many cities get razed. (at least when I play.)

I used the raze and resettle trick so my empire didn't get bogged down paying maintenance for a lot of court houses. But I suppose that process did depopulate the world significantly in the short term.

Top Bottom