1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally got Civ6

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Mesix, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

So, I finally bought Civ6 this weekend. 25% off pushed me to buy.

I played through the tutorial, and most of the way though my first game as France...so I am still learning the differences. Some of the new features are not very intuitive, and even if there is a tip explaining it, the strategic decisions which come later are not so clear. This is especially true for the adjacency bonuses.

I will post my questions and criticisms separately as I become more acquainted with the latest version. I will also find strategies to break the game as I do with each release ;)

Jarhead60 and whyidie like this.
  2. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Any tips to a Civ6 noob would be greatly appreciated.

3. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That is ... a bit vague. I think you'll have better luck asking more specifically, if you want advice her, or otherwise, go look through some videos on youtube to see how people play and learn some tricks.

4. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Take barbarians seriously and make sure they don't spawn too close. They can be a pain if allowed to fester once you have improvements/districts/trade routes. Empires return, wider is better.

Most common route is to take advantage of no war monger penalties in the ancient era and take over as many of your neighbors as you can before war monger penalties settle in. The AI troop levels on Deity can be surprisingly poor.

At that point pause and determine how you want to win.

If its not domination the approach seems to be Harbors or Commerce in supporting cities to get the trade routes. Victory districts everywhere, unless space, in which case you limit it to the cap and maybe one other production city. Industrial in your cap and secondary production city.

Thats the closest we have to 4 city tradition. On the plus side lot of different methods can be viable. The flip side is its often because there isn't much pressure from AI.

5. bmrigs

bmrigs Chieftain

Most important tip: play with mods. It definite needs them.

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Noob or Droog? Love the avtar, sweet alex has no choice.
    Where were we, ah yes, tips... For a noob.

1. You can use your builders to chop down cows and dig up rock for food and production which is often useful.
    2. Feudalism is the key civic. Nothing is a single OP thing in the game but feudalism is a good target.
    3. Districts and other thing scale in cost with the amount of tech and civics discovered
    4. Commercial districts amd early internal trade routes play a key role in any victory.

Enjoy learning and just immerse yourself. There will be plenty of things that will annoy you, just try and get past them, we are hoping they will get fixed

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    c4c6 and Gorbles like this.
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

More important most-important tip:

Learn the base game first, it lets you figure out your personal pain points and thus the mods that will be most effective at mitigating them.

8. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

*edit. Well, that mght not be too clear... (civfanatics upload system weirdness)

here's an imgur link: https://imgur.com/roUW0RN

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  9. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

Trade routes grant their bonus to the city you send them FROM. An early tactic is to build a Trader unit in your capital then relocate the Trader to city #2 and then establish the trade route back to your capital. This gives your new city a nice jump start.

Mesix likes this.
  10. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

Something I JUST learned from watching MadDjinn's LP (which, BTW, are the best ones to watch if you want to learn.) Barbarian encampments only spawn horsemen and horse archers if they are close to a horse resource. These are much more difficult to deal with then when they send warriors and slingers.

11. teks

teks Prince

The name of the game is production, not research. Your early priority is to get those cities making more hammers and getting more people ASAP to keep up with scaling production costs. The current meta suggests the best way to do this is with trade centers which allow you to build traders, and with feudalism, which allows farms to give adjacency bonuses to each other. Farms give +0.5 housing too, and that is important. Harvest bonus resources to get the ball rolling even faster.

Tall is dead. You want to expand big time. 10-12 cities at least. There is no penalty for going wide, but districts and settlers scale in cost, so cities build slower over time.

Finally, unit combat strength is very unintuitive. In the strategy section its explained. Essentially you subtract each units strength to find a units relative advantage.
    10 str vs 5 str is the same as 50 str vs 45 str.
    So small differences in strength are a bigger deal then they first appear.

12. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Key civics to research are:
    • New government types (Political Philosophy being almost always the first civic beeline)
    • Feudalism (use Ilkum policy from Craftsmanship civic to boost Builder production until they need 1 turn to complete, then switch production until you research Feudalism to enjoy production-boosted, 5-charge Builders)
    • Mercantilism (Triangular Trade works with internal trade routes, making them very lucrative)
    Key techs are (apart from worker improvements):
    • Currency (unlocks Commercial Hubs, arguably the most versatile district in the game)
    • Machinery (Lumber Mills in woods along rivers get +2 production instead of +1. Also, Crossbows are nice)
    • Apprenticeship (+1 production to mines and unlocks IZs)
    Also, pay attention to CS bonuses, Early game, the first envoy bonus is invaluable, especially from Militaristic, Scientific and Cultural ones. Later on, get the 3 and 6 envoy bonuses, especially from Mercantile ones and corresponding victory type. Suzerain bonuses are nice, but most of the time not worth getting into an envoy war.

13. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Thanks for all of the advice. Here are some of my initial thoughts.

I found that the late game tends to drag out. Upon finishing rocketry, I started building a Spaceport District in my highest production city (had Ruhr Valley and other bonuses). By the time the district was finished, I was already researching Future Tech.

The religious war minigame seems like fin on my first play through, but I can see this becoming annoying after 2-3 games.

The spy system is horrible! Spying hasn't been fun in many civ games, but it is even worse in Civ6 IMHO.

Victoria likes this.
  14. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

The two most common complaints about the balance of the game are science and culture in later eras going much too fast and the AI being bad to awful, so I can see where you're coming from with that late game.

Would like to add that, even when going for domination victory, it doesn't hurt to spam CH and Harbor. At worst you send the trade routes to city states (you don't want to conquer Kabul etc anyways because their suzerain bonus is so useful) and still get the money out of it. But more money = more everything, so always good.

15. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Except that production spent on new districts could be spent on more units for a faster conquest. CH and Harbours are good and all, but Domination requires only the amount of gold needed to maintain units and buy the odd unit here and there.

16. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

When you are in your final production push of the science victory you should have nearly all (20-30) of your trade routes initiating in your Spaceport building city. Also the Great Engineer/Scientists that specialize on the science victory are key for boosting this total effort. As you have now noticed, it really is more of a Production Race instead of a Science Race.

17. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

My tips:

1. Kill your closest neighbor, even you are a builder
    2. Rangled units are quite overpowered
    3. Don't tech too fast... district cost scales up, warmongering penalty increases
    4. As long as you start building a district, the cost will not go up even you get new techs, so lay the first stone early
    5. City states are not equal; know their unique benefits
    6. With the right city states, empty districts can still be very productive
    7. Barbs are often more damaging than your AI rivals
    8. Your worker can repair a damaged resource tile without spending a charge, but can't repair a pillaged district, so focus on protecting the districts
    9. Housing is often the limiting factor of city growth, make sure it's 2 units higher than your city pop
    10. You don't need to settle at the coastal tile to build harbor and naval units. The only benefit of building a city at the coast is one housing, but you risk direct attack by those naval melee units.
    11. Plan ahead so your farm tiles are adjacent to each other to take advantage of the food bonus

Art Morte likes this.
  18. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

It is very useful to leave a builder with 1 charge remaining for a long time (and never use up his last charge) to help repair tile improvements as needed.

There are still 2 potential reasons to settle at least 1 early city directly on the coast: Sailing Tech boost and the ability to build ships before researching and building a harbor.

When possible create them in triangle formations so that all 3 boost each other via the Feudalism buff.

19. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Is this also true if you start a district...change production...and then finish the district later? Can you start 2-3 districts in a city and then finish them as your population grows?

20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Yes, we call this lockdown, very effective if you have a tile free at the time.
    Tile growth is also slow.