1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally got Civ6

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Mesix, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I'm playing with some AI mods though, so I actually can't handle 10 wars at the same time. (meaning I'd rather play it a bit slower and not attack on sight)

2. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

So I played another game last night (at least 125 turns into a game).

I churned out Archers and Spearmen to assault my closest neighbor(s). I was able to take two cities easily, but stalled at the capital city as attrition started to eat away at my Archers and I only got the city to about half it's HP (the bottom line after the defenses were knocked down). I burned the two cities I captured which caused quite a lot of rage from the AI.

Should I be keeping cities in Civ6? In Civ4 and 5 I generally burned down noncapital cities which had no wonders. Speaking of wonders, it would be great if the info popup which asks whether to burn cities also listed wonders and not just the population and number of districts. In hind sight, it seems like taking the capital would have been easier if I had a city close by to heal and crank out reinforcements.

To keep my technologies slower, I did not rush to build Campus Districts in my three cities. Not really sold on the slower technology progress as a strategy, but that might just be my old habits from earlier versions which fast tech pace was key to any victory.

My two expansion cities were both one tile from the coast which I did to experiment with #10 in your tips.

3. WileyWilson

WileyWilson Chieftain

I keep all cities I take unless it is a rubbish one, or I am late game and cleaning up. Wide seems to work better than tall in Civ 6. Re "Keep / Raze" pop-up, I save the game before I choose. As I don't often raze, it's not a big time sink.

It took me ages to stop focusing on the tech race. Die hard habits from Civ, Civ2, 3, 4 and 5. I suggest you prioritise:
    • production focus for your cities
    • trade routes
    • building mines
    • chopping
    • production adjacency bonuses
    • build cheaper units (e.g. Slingers) then upgrade them to Archers. Build Swordsmen, and upgrade to Muskets etc. It's quicker and more production efficient than building them from scratch.
    As production is king in Civ 6, I find it's better to lag slightly (ever so slightly) in tech, so it doesn't take as long to build stuff. The AI isn't currently a threat anyway, even at Deity, and it seems to stop upgrading units after a few eras.

My best tip is...... I'll say it again...... Production is King!

4. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

My other habit is not saving except at the end of a session...from playing GOTM and HOF entries. As I am adjusting to the new version, it may be better to save at key points and test different strategic decisions (like raze/keep). In my current game, I definately think keeping Warsaw would have been a good choice.

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

If you are happy being hated then keep them all but just be aware the lack of amenities can slow things down.
    You can give some cities back to limit the warmonger penalty - which is much worse if you raze a city. Avoid razing cities unless you want to be hated for a looong time.
    If you can block the city using barbs/swords as they have ZOC then the city will not heal each turn.
    Getting to crossbows or knights with siege tower then then things change a bit. There is a sort of lull between the two where you have archers and they have strong walls so for domination I tend to not worry about not rushing techs too much as I want technology to get better troops.
    I had a classic example last night playing a peaceful culture game where Gilgamesh was way ahead on tech and I was near victory so he declared war (standard when about to win) ... I got a big fright when my crossbowman in a city with modern walls was approached by mechanized infantry. The AI should have just rammed me but instead mulled around, got shot up a teeny bit then disappeared... probably because it is programmed to have siege stuff to take a walled city... crazy

I was such a good fun example of a "peaceful" deity game I may even post it in the stories forum

6. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

More than 90% of time I'll keep cities in early conquest. Civ6 encourages playing wide. As long as you pay enough attention to amenities that will be fine. I don't consider amenities too big a deal most of the time anyway. Besides, the locations of these cities are usually not too shabby and some of them may already have a district built for you.

I have a feeling that your early rush seems a bit late, as you used spearmen instead of warriors. For early rush, a lot players build 2 warriors or maybe a scout (scout is considered a melee unit that can take cities), then 4 or maybe 5 slingers while researching animal husbandry => archery, then all upgrade to archers and start the rush (need a bit of timing especially if you want to use that "slinger kills a unit" as eureka to further save some turns). To use spearmen plus archers mean you have already researched AH, archery, BW, and take some turns to build spearmen. Good chance is your neighbours will have walled cities during the war especially if you play emperor or above. In your case I'll pillage all profitable tiles except the districts (assuming you want this city later), take the peace offer and golds, and research masonry so you can build rams, and war again once you're ready.

Also don't know if you are aware that you can achieve the "besieged" state if you position your melee units and scouts properly. This is very important as the target city cannot regain health.

Building cities right at the coast gives you one additional housing, and allows you to build naval units right away (the eureka for sailing is not too significant as this is a cheap tech). However, sea tiles are useless most of the time and I don't build naval units too early (sending naval units out may help you to meet some more CS earlier; however, you may meet other AI civs prematurely. I usually want to finish all the dirty warmongering business first before meeting civs from other continents so I can introduce myself to them as a "nice" peaceful gentleman), so these benefits are quite marginal. However, it's up to your personal playing style regardless.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  7. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

My early rush was delayed because I didn't find the nearby AI player. I was hunting barbs with three slingers, a warrior, and a scout. By the time my scout found Poland on the other side of the continent, I had upgraded my slingers to archers and built my first spearman. Arabia had forward settled a city near the Poland, and she asked me to DOW a shared war against him. I burned Baghdad (population 2) and then accepted peace since I did not know where his main cities were. Once I healed and regrouped, I DOW Poland in a surprise war and took Warsaw losing only one archer. It was Poland's capital which caused some attrition and I ended up escaping with one archer and a spearman (reinforcements were too far away). Had I kept Warsaw, I could have healed and rushed a few replacement units right on the battle front.

At turn 200, it is kind of a rubbish start really. Later in the game, it turned out that Arabia was much, much closer than Poland, and I have now taken his capital. The AI players all founded religions early and I seem to have missed that train. I nabbed a couple of key wonders in between cranking out units. I am now at war with China who has forward settled a couple of cities near me. Poland is at war with Arabia who seems to be holding her off with his last city. My culture isn't very great, but I think I will try to pivot towards tourism to give that a go.

Having fun learning the new mechanics in Civ6. In many ways, I feel like the design does not provide the level of information that I was used to in earlier versions.

If I think about it, I will take some screenshots tonight.

8. Victoria

No, to a degree I suspect they want people to explore and discover rather than learn mechanics so they can rinse and repeat the perfect tatics.
    Good to hear you are enjoying it, some poor souls have bought the product and hate it.

9. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I took a break for several months from Civ. I suspect this helps adjust to the changes. I also remember several people trolling Civ4 and Civ5 in the Vanilla versions as both games become much more refined through two expansions.

I haven't even had Civ5 installed on my computer since early last year. I also waited to buy Civ6 while I was working on some personal projects. I actually planned to wait a bit longer...but 25% off the Digital Deluxe edition was enough to convert me to a buyer. Of course, my other projects are no longer getting the attention they should...C'est la vie!

10. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

So my second game ended in a loss. Poland sneaked in a Religious VC. I noticed that she was very aggressive in spreading her religion, and was in the process of walking troops over to relieve her of all her cities to prevent the loss, but in the end she converted enough of China for the win before I could prevent it. As I did not found a religion, and my cities were converted to her religion early on, there was not much else I could do.

I had been going to a Cultural victory. I was wonder spamming in all my cities and had a fair bit of tourism already. Of course, the cities I burned early on and the additional cities I conquered later in the game meant that everyone hated me.

What is the best way to prevent a runaway AI religion from dominating the map?

If I had conquered her holy city, would that have prevented the win (or even better, given me the win)?

11. Victoria

The best way to stop a RV is to play on continents. The AI is rapid to expand religion but useless at having a consistent overseas policy. Of course there is always killing all their religious units but that means war. Still a loss makes one more vigilant.

Spamming wonders is expensive in production amd produces few wonders. You should try the trafitional route first, build and fill archaeological museums

12. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I was also doing the archaeology thing. I had my four (or maybe five) built cities, two from China and two from Arabia IIRC. Three of them were still developing a bit, but the five that were more or less fully developed were cycling between wonders and units (including traders, workers, and military units). I generally had 2-3 wonders under construction at any given time and still kept the most advanced army on the map.

To be honest, the only thing that stopped me from steamrolling Poland earlier was trying to stop the Domination VC because I wanted to give the cultural game a try. Since I had already taken the Arabian capital, I was watching the development of China and Poland with an aim to take down the one with the greater culture. In the mid game, they were really close.

I was considering gifting Arabia's capital back to him, but the option was not available in diplomacy. Is this a design feature? Am I required to keep every capital that I capture for the rest of the game? Do they not become barter chips for diplomacy?

13. Victoria

You can gift it back in a peace settlement.
    This game encourages war through stupidity of the AI. A warmonger penalty is a bit like hearing the mosquitoes on the other side of the net, irritating but not even one itchy bite.