Finally won my first game on Noble

MerakSpielman

Warlord
Only took me 7 years. Space Race victory. An early military push won me a continent to myself. I turtled hard, built a large defensive military, and pushed my economy.

I was in second place, behind the leader by over 2000 points. But I managed to get the Space Elevator before him by chopping a few leftover forests.

I also instigated a world war between everybody except myself, hoping it would keep the AIs busy. But the leader just smashed the others and turned them into vassals, so I'm lucky that didn't backfire on me too badly.

But woohoo, I'm finally out of Warlord difficulty!

you had a continent all by yourself turtled all the way to the end and still behind by 2000 pts?

I'm guessing that you didn't build enough cottages to fund for your research.

Mind posting a replay?

CivNoobie did you read his post?

It sounds like the OP played mostly isolationist and birthed a monster AI in the process. A mistake, but a runaway AI can be an insurmountable obstacle to even the best players.
(all I'm trying to say is that score doesn't matter)

Sounds like a fun if climactic game, congrats!

My research took a big hit when I killed the AI on the continent with me. The maintenance from taking over all his cities was killer. I know now that I should have razed most of his cities, and expanded slowly on my own as I grew the economy to do so.

I'm also only just starting to understand terrain improvement choices and really good city placement. I think I actually had too MANY cottages. I just built them everywhere, and when my cities ran out of food I'd take one that wasn't developing and turn it into a farm.

I'm also still getting used to the notion that more cities isn't necessarily better. Better cities are better. I think part of my brain still thinks I'm playing Civ3 and wants to rapid expand and build enough cities to work every single tile on the map.

Yeah if I'm either along or only one AI on a continent, I usually start over. chances are I won't be able to resist killing them and then my tech will be way behind by the time I meed the rest of the world who have been merrily cooperating on tech trading.

Ack, my next game was going well. Very similar sort of situation, one AI on my continent, which I killed. This time I was better at managing my cities and didn't get as far behind.

I was almost finished with my spaceship when the other superpower declared war on me out of the blue. He landed with a huge army of marines and tanks, as well as a pile of older units. If he had attacked my city from the sea with the marines it would have hurt -- but he instead landed the whole force next to the city and I had time to swoop in with my mech infantry and gunships and tear it to pieces.

I finished the ship and sent it on its way. A few turns before my victory, the third superpower, who I had been ignoring because he seemed so far behind, suddenly won a cultural victory.

So close!

Sounds like a great game (the first one :p). Always fun to win your first game on a new level!

Ack, my next game was going well. Very similar sort of situation, one AI on my continent, which I killed. This time I was better at managing my cities and didn't get as far behind.

I was almost finished with my spaceship when the other superpower declared war on me out of the blue. He landed with a huge army of marines and tanks, as well as a pile of older units. If he had attacked my city from the sea with the marines it would have hurt -- but he instead landed the whole force next to the city and I had time to swoop in with my mech infantry and gunships and tear it to pieces.

I finished the ship and sent it on its way. A few turns before my victory, the third superpower, who I had been ignoring because he seemed so far behind, suddenly won a cultural victory.

So close!

So close indeed, and it's hard to be too critical when you're moving up a level. But not much happens "suddenly" / "out of the blue" in Civ if you know where to look:

1. War declarations are normally preceded by a period of the AI plotting war (aka WHEOOHRN or "We have enough on our hands right now" - the diplomatic response when you ask them to declare on someone if they're already plotting). So every so often, check the diplo screen for likely enemies and if the "Declare war on X" option is coloured red (meaning it's unavailable), hover the cursor over that to see the reason. If you get WHEOOHRN then they're plotting war. Alternatively, and if you're playing BTS, the BUG Mod will helpfully tell you this without having to trawl through diplo screens. WHEOOHRN doesn't necessarily mean they're plotting war on you, but you can take a good guess at that from the relations screen. If you think they are plotting on you, then either prepare for that by building up your troops, bribe someone else to declare on them, or (most simply) beg 1 gold off them, which gives you 10 turns of peace. Occasionally the AI will declare without plotting, eg if they're bribed into war by another AI, but this method usually works.

2. Culture victories can't happen suddenly - it takes many many turns of constructing culture-enhancing buildings and wonders, spreading religions, popping great artists and building culture. You can see this quite easily from several sources: spies can reveal what a city is building; a series of great artists born in the same civ is a giveaway; a slow tech rate often means the AI is running the culture slider very high; and most simply the victory conditions screen (F8) will show how close the most cultured civ is to winning this way. Again, check regularly... and if anyone is getting close then either declare on them & capture one or more of their 3 most cultured cities, or if that's not possible use spies to sabotage cultural buildings or wonders in those cities. That ought to buy you enough time for your spaceship to make it.

In neither case rely on the scoreboard. An AI's score says nothing much about its willingness to declare on you or its pursuit of culture. In fact the scoreboard doesn't say much at all unless you're going for a time win.

I think a big part of the problem is that I don't know how to play the endgame and modern ages at all. I like starting new games every time I sit down, so I get a lot of practice at the early game.

I think a big part of the problem is that I don't know how to play the endgame and modern ages at all. I like starting new games every time I sit down, so I get a lot of practice at the early game.

I dont either, but I have won a few times on immortal still. Draft and whip all cities down to pop 1 when you get rifles and cannons while they are still in medievil times. Have also won a few times by early HA rush or by bulbing engineering early. (avoid fishing, and bulb metal casting, machinery and enginering, works best with Gandhi or Sulemain)

I dont either, but I have won a few times on immortal still. Draft and whip all cities down to pop 1 when you get rifles and cannons while they are still in medievil times. Have also won a few times by early HA rush or by bulbing engineering early. (avoid fishing, and bulb metal casting, machinery and enginering, works best with Gandhi or Sulemain)

Pop 1? Talk about your wildly unbalanced strategies!

I would prefer to build some non-essential cities (which I'm not seeking to establish economically so no universities, banks, etc) and let those feel the pain of the whip or draft. Even down to pop 1 if need be. But there is no reason to screw over your specialized scientific, financial, or Great Person generating cities, this is terribly inefficient.

Top Bottom