Finding El Dorado first- the bonus is...

Deadstarre

Expert
1000 gold... on the 4th turn

First time i found el dorado and didnt realize what happened, i noticed the 1000+gold in my treasury, thought the game had bugged, and immediately re-rolled.

next time i found el dorado first and realized what happened, i nearly re-rolled anyway. instead i played it out, which of course was a ridiculous jump on the early game and led to a cakewalk in the park

I like the idea of some bonus for finding a natural wonder, as vanilla had, but correct me if im wrong- there are currently zero bonuses (outside of CS quest) for finding any natural wonder, first or otherwise, UNLESS it happens to be el dorado you find first in which case you get an absurd lump of gold that equals about 8-10 ruins worth of bonus.

what is the thought process here?

1000 gold... on the 4th turn

First time i found el dorado and didnt realize what happened, i noticed the 1000+gold in my treasury, thought the game had bugged, and immediately re-rolled.

next time i found el dorado first and realized what happened, i nearly re-rolled anyway. instead i played it out, which of course was a ridiculous jump on the early game and led to a cakewalk in the park

I like the idea of some bonus for finding a natural wonder, as vanilla had, but correct me if im wrong- there are currently zero bonuses (outside of CS quest) for finding any natural wonder, first or otherwise, UNLESS it happens to be el dorado you find first in which case you get an absurd lump of gold that equals about 8-10 ruins worth of bonus.

what is the thought process here?

Yeah I've run into this problem as well, el dorado is pretty rare, and with my luck, even when it is on the map I never find it first. However, the gold from it is plain crazy and should probably be removed (or lowered to a more reasonable number like 100?).

Yeah I've run into this problem as well, el dorado is pretty rare, and with my luck, even when it is on the map I never find it first. However, the gold from it is plain crazy and should probably be removed (or lowered to a more reasonable number like 100?).

Right. its like, 99 out of 100 times it makes no difference to you (Though perceivably could be contributing to that runaway civ you found 100 turns after the fact) except that 1 out of 100 times you do find it, its GG- as if i had loaded up the map with a galoob game genie enhancer (retro gamers... you know what i mean!)

while we're on the topic, why is there no bonus for other natural wonders at all? i missed that discussion whenever the change happened.

"you found lake victoria! +10 bonus culture" why not? mostly this would benefit the AI in a small way majority of the time but i'm OK with that, they need the help and it adds some flavor / (minor) reward for exploration

about el dorado, i like that it gives gold to find it as it is rare but yes 1) lower the amount, 2) what about some gold for anyone who finds it?

Right. its like, 99 out of 100 times it makes no difference to you (Though perceivably could be contributing to that runaway civ you found 100 turns after the fact) except that 1 out of 100 times you do find it, its GG- as if i had loaded up the map with a galoob game genie enhancer (retro gamers... you know what i mean!)

while we're on the topic, why is there no bonus for other natural wonders at all? i missed that discussion whenever the change happened.

"you found lake victoria! +10 bonus culture" why not? mostly this would benefit the AI in a small way majority of the time but i'm OK with that, they need the help and it adds some flavor / (minor) reward for exploration

This is just a remnant from vanilla civ actually, there were 2 completely off their hook overpowered natural wonders that only showed up once in a blue moon. One was El dorado, providing minor yields and a huge gold-bonus to whomever found it first, the other was the fountain of youth, providing a massive +10 happiness for having it in your territory. Fountain of youth got changed, probably because it was clashing with the new happiness system, but no one bothered with El Dorado.

This is just a remnant from vanilla civ actually, there were 2 completely off their hook overpowered natural wonders that only showed up once in a blue moon. One was El dorado, providing minor yields and a huge gold-bonus to whomever found it first, the other was the fountain of youth, providing a massive +10 happiness for having it in your territory. Fountain of youth got changed, probably because it was clashing with the new happiness system, but no one bothered with El Dorado.

Seems to be the case. Of course with the new happiness system, its easy to see why they took off the +1 happiness you used to get from finding any wonder (at any time) but i do believe that happiness removal should have been replaced with something; the original intent was for there to be a bonus associated with locating wonders, and that mechanic made a lot of sense.

in fact, in vanilla it was CRITICAL to locate all the wonders because that happiness was extraordinarily precious. they went from being a very relevant factor in the game to absolutely nothing =/

I like the large sum of gold from finding El Dorado first. I don't really think it needs changed. There's as much of a chance of it turning a mediocre or bad start into a passable one as it is to turn the game into an easy romp.

I like the large sum of gold from finding El Dorado first. I don't really think it needs changed. There's as much of a chance of it turning a mediocre or bad start into a passable one as it is to turn the game into an easy romp.

Well it has already been fixed, now :D

What I can't figure out is why it's a "Natural" Wonder. Did the Earth create that formation? :p

What I can't figure out is why it's a "Natural" Wonder. Did the Earth create that formation? :p

The short answer: 'natural wonder' is just a game category for 'special terrain feature.' Most of the 'natural wonders' do not have any special natural significance. Rather, most spawned myths that effected the course of human history. Adam's Peak is a physical place, but the reason it has significance at all is the sacred footprint (Sri Pada) in solid stone that plays a role in most of the world's religions. We don't know which mountain is Mount Sinai, but it is central to Abrahamic religion. The otherwise unremarkable Mount Kailash is the home of a god or similar figure in four religions. The Rock of Gibraltar is a Pillar of Hercules and marks the edge of the known world in Grecian times. Mount Fuji is one of Japan's three holy mountains, and has been used in literature throughout the ages. Uluru is significant because of the aboriginal myths and traditions surrounding the site. Why should the myths of the colonial age be given less representation than others?

If we were to limit ourselves to wonders that are only wondrous from their 'natural' qualities rather than the mythical significance culture has given them, we would be left with Mt. Kilimanjaro, Lake Victoria, Cerro de Potosi, Old Faithful, Krakatoa, the Great Barrier Reef, Grand Mesa, and Barringer Crater.

Top Bottom