1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding Prince REALLY Easy and King REALLY Hard

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DramaPhelps, Nov 2, 2016.

?

Recommended tips

Poll closed Nov 9, 2016.
  1. Focus on building up first city

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Focus on getting starting army

31 vote(s)
    54.4%
  3. Focus on scouting for CS's

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Focus on getting second city ASAP

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. DramaPhelps

DramaPhelps Chieftain

I can't figure it out but I've been playing on King trying to get better but the other civs by turn 30 already have 5-10 military units, a second city, and are sometimes taking over a CS.

Sometimes though I get to turn 100 and realize I'm literally winning in every victory type. I click esc and see the difficulty = 4. I'm playing on Prince. How am I getting stomped just one difficulty up when I stomp the Prince level so hard. I don't know if I'm exploring too far/building to many scouts early on or if I'm just not focusing enough on one thing.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:Just won my first King game on turn 210ish with a religious victory. A few slingers in the beginning made a big difference and by about move 90 I had no contest. Ended up taking some of cleo's cities just for more production without having to make settlers. By around move 130 when I took the cleo cities I had 1st in everything until the victory.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

Iunno man, conquest seems fairly easy to pull off on Immortal, but then again, I am a civ5 vet and war hasn't really changed *much* since, you spam Archers.

I recommend a Scout/Scout/Builder/Slinger kind of opening, you ignore Monuments and Granaries and focus on trying to get an army to rush your neighbor. Take your time though and pick off all of their units with Archers and then converge on cities, which shouldn't have walls up yet

3. DramaPhelps

DramaPhelps Chieftain

Even if I don't want to go for domination victory? I figured with Religious, Culture, or Science in mind peace would be the best route.

4. PlayAsPericles

PlayAsPericles Chieftain

Think i am gonna have to play at the king or higher level. I am still on my first game as I am playing a huge map but i am in a complete runaway for science victory and am currently leading in culture without even really trying. And i am using Mvemba a Nzinga which isn't really set for a science victory with it's traits.

5. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

Hey mate, I've always been a prince player myself. But yeah, getting that army out and doing some early conquest is what will get you set. If you don't have a proper army the AI will most likely stomp you down, especially if there is a little guy called Gilgamesh next to ya.

6. DramaPhelps

DramaPhelps Chieftain

Yea, I have no issues on Prince. It seems too easy to where I have almost no risk of losing. Getting a full navy/army and about to get to first firearms while the enemy is running around with slingers/warriors and an occasional heavy chariot.

King, I feel like I'm out manned at everything almost early enough that it shouldn't be possible.

7. dwarfling

dwarfling Chieftain

Carpet of Archers + Conscription will dominate even Deity level AI.

My build order goes: Scout > Slinger > Builder > Slingersssss/Archersssss

Well, you probably want to fit a Settler in there so you can spam more stuff from the 2nd city. Also a monument but not before having your army of archers (6+). And also have 1 or 2 melee to take the cities. Greece and Germany are specially good at this because you can have both Conscription and Agoge/Maneuver active.

If I can't find anyone around me then after I get 4 or so archers (to deal with barbs) I go into ICS mode and try to start as many cities as possible. If you happen to find some aggressive neighbor while expanding then you can archer spam and take his stuff.

8. Beld

Beld Whiskeyclone

I find king similarly easy to prince once youre in to medieval.

I adjusted my starting build order to scout-warrior-slinger-builder-warrior. Then whatever else I need while sneaking out more warriors as time permits. Warriors are maintenance free and I use them to explore near cities barb bust. Ill build more slingers (to upg to archers) if I see AI moving units near me. Otherwise I save the gpt for swordsman upgrades.

9. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

I was cruising in King with even lot of wonders when around the knight time one ai came out of nowhere with at crew stuff, all of a sudden.

I suppose that's a bug, each ai was far behind in science and within few turns a couple of at crew spread here and there.

Bugs or cheating plus war mongering insane penalties are ruining my games

10. idjit

idjit Chieftain

I typically go scout -> slingers x5, beeline archery, upgrade the 5 slingers to archers and coast until the game stomps you another way. Gonna need troops for lolbarbs anyway.

11. JellyRev

JellyRev Chieftain

Playing emperor. sometimes scout, settler, settler, archer, archer. sometimes scout, settler, warrior, archer, settler, archer. tech up quickly on the bottom side, get ancient walls, crossbow.

12. Animist7

Animist7 Chieftain

I've been playing on Emperor and basically my strategy against the noisy neighbours is to build a couple of Slingers before anything else, kill a barb with them to boost Archery and then upgrade the slingers to archers. Once you do that, you're pretty untouchable. Your neighbour will lose quite a few warriors trying to get your city while you snipe them with the archers, backed up with a couple of warriors. Once they've done that I'll check my military strength versus theirs, build a few more units and counterattack. It means no monument / granary for a while and more often than not I miss out on a religion but I do try to get a scout out in amongst it all and, once you've got the strength of two civs by taking out your neighbour, it's pretty much plain sailing.

The only time I've had to alter this is when my neighbour Hojo, instead of spamming warriors like other Civs normally do, somehow managed to spam Horsemen and I was only able to stop the onslaught by building some early spearmen which is something I almost never do.

There was also another time where Arabia and Russia both DoW'd me right at the beginning together and I couldn't hold them off so, yeah, it doesn't always work out the way you want!

13. skyclad

skyclad Prince

You should probably not get in the habit of always rushing the nearest capital ;) But making units early is very important. As well as lots of other things, combat "micro", planning for and getting eurekas, using builders efficiently.
    In the early game should be mostly making military (3 slingers --> upgrade to archers and 1 spearman for eureakas, more units as needed) and settlers in your cities. Build the first builder then can probably buy most of the rest you need. Just dont rush out districts. You probably want a holy site semi-early to get a religion but otherwise dont rush out the districts units both military and civilian are more important early game.
    Use god king until you have pantheon then switch to +1 production. When you get early empire switch to +50% to settlers and start expanding. You will probably have built 1 or 2 before that though.

14. criZp

criZp Emperor

Get archers and some melee units, then go slam the nearest AI to the ground, target cities before they have walls, then tech to siege towers and horsemen/swordsmen and grab the rest. Find time for a builder, scout and monument somewhere in there, too.

15. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

surprised people bother building scouts with the new movement

16. idjit

idjit Chieftain

Well, I stopped building scouts a coupla games and found out that I ran into a weird problem (a me problem, not a game problem)

Scouts are for scouting. If I make wars/slingers for scouting, they stop scouting and fight things instead and I never see the map/goodie huts :|

17. criZp

criZp Emperor

you can find some natural wonder and get the mobility upgrade, plus they're a bit cheaper

dac050 likes this.
  18. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

I dunno, I've found that works pretty well, actually. You're basically untouchable the entire game if you manage to conquer it early.

19. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

King is where I started at and I'm still getting the hang of it at that level. So far it looks very doable. I've started several games and quit for a new one when it was fairly clear I was leading strongly. But there have been moments when a weak start left me badly behind by mid game so I'm still experimenting with different civs and starts at King level.

20. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

King is about where I win when I'm trying to win, even with bad starts and bad Civs. It's not that hard.

The first point is that you have to know how to fight. You can't defend yourself if you don't know how to wage war, and that includes a sense of when and how many units to build (and how to use them). It also means choosing settling locations for defensibility rather than pure economy. Sometimes a touch to the left would be a smidge less productive in the long run, but a death trap for any attackers. It also means leveraging City State bonuses for the same. Two Military City States means +4 cogs per turn if you have an Encampment in any city - and that city can make units without two of a resource. If you can put that encampment where it'll split your enemy's forces in two or delay reinforcements, all the better.

The second point is that you kind of have to know what you're doing in terms of economy. In my latest game, I was Russia and while I was near the southern tundra, there was no easy mountains in sight - so I had no good place for an easy Campus like I usually do. This meant that I'd be behind in Science - but that's great! It means I can put what production I usually put into Science and instead build Lavras and Commercial Hubs. I'll use trade routes and Peter's LUA to latch onto the tech leader on the continent and let that Civ drag me along. (Not what happened - instead Gorgo appeared beside me and I had to fight a grueling Medieval war).

You have to know when it's good to pursue a Eureka and when that's too much trouble and you're better off just researching things yourself. You also have to know all the little tricks and interactions and slingshots - when to got for what and how. For instance, farming 6 tiles slingshots you to Fedualism, which slingshots you to Stirrups, which gets you Knights. So if you've got three Farmed resources, you're one Builder away from that slingshot, provided you got all the prereqs.