Finger of God event

The spaceship from your last space race win lands on your current game and start killing everyone to make room for their colony.:lol:

I remember reading on the Wikipedia about plot holes and they said about one movie how some harriers got Cavemen flying them and they were like thousands of years in the future and jet fuel does not last that long in a plane

Battlefield Earth. A high-ranking Razzie winner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Earth_(film)

Good for a couple big events, if you ignore the movie's logic and stick to the book. In the movie, some amazingly preserved early 21st century weaponry, including harriers, is used to defeat an alien menace which conquered earth and bombed it into the stone age 1000 years before. This despite that an entire world's worth of that weaponry wasn't sufficient to beat them in the past, and the unlikelihood that it could have survived a thousand years of storage. In the book, the primitives were semi-literate, not cavemen, had months to learn alien tech and plan, and stole some alien aircraft (not harriers) to carry out their final attack.

So, you get the possibility that your ancient era civilization is actually developing on a world invaded and conquered by aliens, but your sad pathetic culture doesn't realize that the demons of the sky are not only non-legendary reality, but are going to whip you down if you develop much. Get too close to a hidden alien outpost, and they will wipe you out with advanced tech units, then go back to ignoring your primitive culture. Once triggered, there is a chance that you may discover advanced ancient tech, and either get super units you can't build, or actually advance in tech.

The flip side is that a society approaching space travel is selected as a new aquisition for alien invaders, who proceed to wipe out most of the population, forcing the survivors to hide and rebuild. Essentially, forces a do-over, your society reduced back to a settler, with little tech and information about the world. Oh, maybe you can show the alien invasion, but really, that is sad and boring as even nukes aren't enough to stop them.

Heh. I wouldn't care about the silly disasters, but I would love to have more drastic realistic disasters. Something like hurricanes, floods earthquakes, extreme weather (China right now), tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, terrorist attacks. Lord Olleus' president assassination would be cool, but I think that many positive effects would be unrealistic. Maintenance could go up for a while at least.

First three long winters, then follows the Fimbulvetr, three years of strong winter with no summer between. The wolf Sköll devours Sól (the Sun) and Mánagarmr devours Máni (the Moon). The great ship Naglfar (made from the nails of the dead), sails from Jötunheimr with Loki and the giant Hrymr onboard. Surtr leads the sons of Muspell against you, and breaks the rainbow bridge Bifröst. The evil army, including the mighty wolf Fenrir and the great serpent Miðgarðsormr, will meet you at the battlefield of Vigrid.

Your only hope is to find Heimdall and ask him to use the Gjallarhorn to awaken the old norse gods.

First three long winters, then follows the Fimbulvetr, three years of strong winter with no summer between. The wolf Sköll devours Sól (the Sun) and Mánagarmr devours Máni (the Moon). The great ship Naglfar (made from the nails of the dead), sails from Jötunheimr with Loki and the giant Hrymr onboard. Surtr leads the sons of Muspell against you, and breaks the rainbow bridge Bifröst. The evil army, including the mighty wolf Fenrir and the great serpent Miðgarðsormr, will meet you at the battlefield of Vigrid.

Your only hope is to find Heimdall and ask him to use the Gjallarhorn to awaken the old norse gods.

Wagner probably stole that, pretended it was Old Germanic Legend and wrote a 3 day opera on the theme :mischief: :lol:

How about in order to defeat the bad guys in that Norse Event, you need a hell of a lot of Tanks... Ragnarok & Roll, with your cavalry.... and you play Rise of the Valkyrie while doing so...

How about in order to defeat the bad guys in that Norse Event, you need a hell of a lot of Tanks... Ragnarok & Roll, with your cavalry.... and you play Rise of the Valkyrie while doing so...

Or some Norwegian Black Metal, like Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem or Satyricon. Or the less known Fimbulwinter and Ragnarok.

Nice guys.

What you really need against this army, are the Great Generals Thor, Óðinn, Freyr and Víðarr.

But of course, if you loose the battle and the world is destroyed in fire and blood, a new one will rise. I suppose you'll start all over in year 4000 BC with a settler and a warrior or scout. (Oops, something wrong there. What's this "C"? I meant start over from turn 1.)

Nah, you should be able to play the game in a world of fire and blood. Change the terrain to fire and stain the fields with blood and most of your cities are ruins, but a few troops should be able to work and some cities will run (but might die quickly unless farmed or something or if they have a corporation like Mills or Sushi) and resources are depleted or something along those lines

Nah, you should be able to play the game in a world of fire and blood. Change the terrain to fire and stain the fields with blood and most of your cities are ruins, but a few troops should be able to work and some cities will run (but might die quickly unless farmed or something or if they have a corporation like Mills or Sushi) and resources are depleted or something along those lines

Hey, you can't mess with reality. After Ragnarok a new world will rise. That's a fact. Just read the old poem Völuspá.

Oh sorry, I forgot: Civilization is a game, it's fiction. Here we can mess with reality. Even with gods.

Yeah, why bother with the Assyrian Gods in Gods of Old.
Bring on Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, Zeus, Poseiden, Hades, Thor, Odin, Loki, Ra, Isis, Set, Gaia, Oranos, Kronos and also all Hindu gods....
Imagine that kind of mod...

I think we need a plague random event that's connected to city health. That would throw things for a serious loop.

A "Glacier" event: Occurs if Global Warming gets too bad. While deserts are popping near the equator, one tile every third turn (that is adjacent to an Ice tile) turns into Ice. :lol:

In civ III complete there was a user mod included that was titled "withplauge" I never tried it, has anyone else?

Yeah, why bother with the Assyrian Gods in Gods of Old.
Bring on Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, Zeus, Poseiden, Hades, Thor, Odin, Loki, Ra, Isis, Set, Gaia, Oranos, Kronos and also all Hindu gods....
Imagine that kind of mod...

Great idea for a new mod, really. A global Gods of Old with all known polyteistic civs. Each civ would have their own gods by their side, or against them, if they behaved badly. Christianity could eventually be represented by Catholisism (with a nice selection of saints).

Maybe this is a topic for a new thread?

Top Bottom