1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Finishing games? Or do you "almost win" then quit?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Securion, Jun 21, 2012.

1. noncognosco

noncognosco Warlord

I know this is mostly a joke but...one of my favorite games was one where my starting warrior and my one scout were both killed by barbs in the first 20 or so turns. I literally had no military so I just figured I would see how far I could get without them. Didn't start building my first unit (archer) until Japan declared on me. He invaded with 5-6 warriors and I think some archers. I built one archer and bought another, then just slaughtered his army. That was pretty much the end for him.

Of course this was all pre-expansion so I doubt I could get away with that anymore.

2. zomg

zomg Chieftain

I usually quit when the conclusion is foregone, no need to waste my time with the mop up, or conversely or waiting for the zerg swarm to get around to overrunning every last city of mine.

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I always finish it, just because I figure I've sunk enough time into it to go and see the victory screen/replays/graphs.

4. spider1

spider1 Prince

Normally I like to finish the game. But with G&K being new, I play for a while, then realize I want to try something new, and just restart again. I do that a lot with new leaders I've never played before. This weekend I intend of playing some of the new leaders to the finish. I have yet to complete a G&K game, or even make it as far as getting the spys because I keep wanting to try different stuff. :lol:

5. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Played a King game as Austria, by turn 250 or so I had 1660 score and the next highest was 400...yeah, I'm gonna stop this one. There's no point in finishing it out (there's no victory conditions enabled).

...Austria is broken beyond belief.

6. LightStruck

LightStruck Chieftain

Ugh, my computer slows down tremendously late game, even on standard, so I just give up waiting 2 minutes per turn.

I can't wait to build a gaming PC this summer to play CiV along with other games. >:)

7. Rebun

Rebun Chieftain

I quit sometimes when its early in the game and it doesn't feel like its going to go anywhere

from Industrial on, even if i'm probably going to lose, i keep playing. Too immersed at that point to drop out.

Besides, losing can be enjoyable too :D

8. ahawk

ahawk King

Of the ~ 750 hours I spent in CiV vanilla, I have to say I probably abandoned around 50 to 75% of games after concluding there was no possible way to lose. I imagine G&K won't change this too much. Here are a few reasons I've noticed why I abandon a game (often saving it and never returning to load it):

1) Not moving up to the next difficulty at the right time
    This is one of the main reasons this happened in my own case. I played Prince for probably 500 of those 750 hours in vanilla. Within Prince, I played and won with every civ, DLC included, and finished the majority of the first 30 or so games. But after sampling every civ, I tried to fine-tune my strategy prior to even seeing how King or Emperor would change those strategies, which is okay at first but gets silly if you don't just eventually dive in and get pummeled for a little.

2) The random nature of maps
    I've had games on Emperor where I've had a great start location with a mountain range around me with only one-tile or two-tile wide gaps between the mountains or the mountains and the nearest coast. Of course, once I could, I filled the gaps with citadels or fortresses and plugged them, and no one got through save when I sent my own army to go outside. Conversely, I've had Prince games where I got stuck next to France and Mongolia when I'd chosen Siam. To sum up, even if I choose an appropriate difficulty level, there's always the possibility that the appropriate difficulty level is made too easy (or hard) by a fortunate starting position. Thus, even on Emperor, I've still abandoned games (and yes, I know for many that Emperor isn't all that tough ;) )

3) Stacking the deck
    Sometimes, however, I intentionally will create that easy situation because it's been a long day or whatever, only to feel sheepish winning a game as Monty on Amazon with Epic pace and Raging Barbs.

4) Too much to move
    50 Inf and Tanks in my control moving toward a capital behind both a massive amount of cities as well as behind the Great Wall? Even if victory isn't a forgone conclusion, I'll sometimes determine it isn't worth it.

5) Boneheaded but non-threatening mistakes
    Ohh boy, this is one that gets me. I rarely rage quit in video-games (I don't even rage in Left 4 Dead 2 multiplayer versus games), but there's nothing like mis-clicking a GG into a tile outside of my army. Or building a library right before realizing that I will get a GE in two turns and be able to pop the Great Library. Or buying the unit directly below or above the one I meant to. For some reason, I can tolerate these mistakes when the game is on the line. But when I notice myself doing this in a game I'm probably going to win, I just can feel myself getting lazier and dumber, and it makes me want to quit like none other.

Sorry for the diatribe, but this is an issue I've thought quite a bit about (because, I think, I may have no social life :( ).

9. jimbbq

jimbbq Chieftain

totally agreed! Please bring in religion victory! And also economic victory like civ revolution.

10. jimbbq

jimbbq Chieftain

wow 50 military units? I never had so many military units in my game at any level of difficulty (i only play up to emperor so far). I prefer having smaller but highly trained units. But with g&k i have to build more units now

11. ahawk

ahawk King

50 is not as uncommon in Prince (where I played for a long time). One easy path to that much junk to move is:

Iroquois, Longhouse with lumber mills on every forest tile, Factory, Statue of Liberty.

It was to the point in one such Iroquois game that I took probably 10 minutes a turn simply moving units, upgrading units, queing unit production with a new choice (because of trying to somehow have a balanced army), and determing where the GG should go. That's 10 minutes a turn above and beyond the other stuff, like improving any tiles, thinking about how to use a Great Person, or anything else.

12. Barghaest

Barghaest King

I had that issue of my laptop. Found swapping to Strategic View made the turns go a lot faster (and I could always drop out if I wanted to see the pretty graphics).

13. Tiaramisu

Tiaramisu Chieftain

It's the other way around for me. I'll always finish a game I'm winning, because I want the satisfaction of knowing that I won after I spend all that time. However, if I'm losing, or I know that I won't be able to catch up and win by the end of the game I'll just close out.

For instance, I was playing a game earlier on a map I don't usually play, continents, instead of my usual archipelago so I was trying to acclimate myself to all the heightened aggression and wars that are essentially non-existant on island maps. I had succeeded in culling England down to a single city after the second time they declared war on me, and started to take Russia's cities after the third time. I had plenty of resources, a fairly large empire, had quite a few wonders and I was making lots of gold per turn. I decided to quit not just because I was sick of the wars, I was getting denounced every 20 turns by a country whose army I had decimated twice, and conquered all of its cities except for one landlocked around Russia's and my territory (I digress), and quite a few AI issues, like Germany denouncing me despite us being allies for almost the whole game. I decided to quit because other countries who were of similar, if not smaller, size, and similar levels of technology and social policies were ahead of me. I'm sure I could've kept up if I had wanted to, but if I know or just feel like I'm going to lose with no hope for a win, I'll just quit.

14. BranjoHello

BranjoHello Chieftain

Until grandpa says I won, I haven't won, so it's always TO THE END for me.

15. s0nny80y

s0nny80y King

...once one reaches this point, is it a good indicator to bump up a difficulty level?

16. Andulias

Andulias A Stranger on a Train

But there is an economic victory, it involves a lot of CS bribing. Yes, even after the expansion :p

17. Becephalus

Becephalus King

I tend to play my games out to the end, though I usually am very bored with them after I am certain I will win. I typically don't surrender until I have lost a city or two and am in an otherwise bad position. Even if I am in bad shape I will keep soldier on if I haven't lost any wars.

18. Antalia

Antalia Chieftain

I usually finish my losing games, but not many winning ones. I like to analyze the decisions I made in the losers, and often I learn something useful.

I particularly can't stand finishing domination victories. I have trouble with the idea of picking on something weak or disadvantaged, even if it's just the computer. So unless the enemies are a lot stronger than me, or their cities are positioned in a way that will be very challenging, or they're just downright evil--I usually can't bring myself to finish them off. (I have no problem taking them down if they chopped a lot of rainforest, or painted the world with fallout, or started the fight. But it doesn't happen that often.)

I usually only bother completing (single player) peaceful wins if it's really tense and close. Or, if the game happens to be generating an unusually interesting story.

19. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

I usually continue and focus on research. You can pull off a science or diplomatic victory by the early 1900's if you get enough :c5science: and/or :c5gold:. It's also fun to get nukes before everyone else and then just nuke the next-best player in all of their cities. :nuke: Maybe that's just me...