Finnish Civilization Mod

Drift

It's a boy!
Finnish Civilization Mod

Download version 2.0 full install (2.2MB) - now with an animated leaderhead

Basic Information

Finnish civilization complete with an era- and mood specific animated leaderhead, a unique unit and civilopedia entries. Mod doesn't have Koreans as one civ had to go in order for the Finnish to fit in.

Leader: President Kekkonen
Traits: Scientific & Agricultural
Unique Unit: Jaeger
  • A.D.M: 6.10.2
  • Replaces: Infantry (6.10.1)
  • Special: Ignores movement cost on forests and marshes

Leaderhead

He is animated, era specific and his moods change in the negotiations screen. Includes all files, like the victory screens, foreign advisor screen bubblehead and civilopedia pictures.

Preview of different eras:

Kekkonen's emotional scope

Jaeger

Jaegers are fast infantry units armed with rifles and they represent Finnish soldiers in WW2. Graphics are originally Russian infantry from PTW extras.

Installation

- Extract finnishciv.zip into Civ3\Conquests\Scenarios\
- Choose Finnish Civilization.biq from Civ-Content.

As usual, comments are most welcome.

thnx, a much needed mod, but you could of replaced the Americans, because they have no history (no offense to any Americans) or a European Civ (too many caucasian races)

Originally posted by NaZ
thnx, a much needed mod, but you could of replaced the Americans, because they have no history (no offense to any Americans) or a European Civ (too many caucasian races)

I picked Korea because it is generally disliked and thought to be in the game for purely market reasons. Americans are just a young civ and they definitely do have a history and their impact on the world history has been huge. Game's existing European civs on the other hand are all significant civs. In my opinion, when introducing a marginal civ like Finnish, it has to replace another 'marginal' civ - Koreans in this case. (They are not nearly as marginal as Finnish, but still.)

I agree that replacing an asian civ reduces already few asian civs more drastically than removing an european civ would reduce european civs. But what's done is done.

I'm also from Finland, and I've been waiting for someone who could do this civ. Thank you!! :)

But I guess jaeger unit should have also attack +1, they had a special training during the first world war, so that makes them stronger in combat situations.

troopper5: Nothing stops you from editing the combat values of the Jaeger, but imo if it needs something more, it would be defence. I know I'll be giving it 1 or 2 extra defence, but then again, I have given infantry attack of 8 instead of the default 6.

Anyway, this is the best Finland mod ever made. I thank for that. :)

Originally posted by Lusikka755
BTW, is that industrial era background from the Finlaysson building in Tampere??

Yes. One of the most beautiful places in Tampere. Tammerkoski (a river) flows through an old industrial area made out of red brick with cities two old factories flanking it. Finlayson on the left and Tampella on the right. (so actually, the building in picure is part of Tampella.) I wish they would recreate the large glass window you can see from the bridge. I believe it was during wartime that it was nailed shut and never opened again. (I could be wrong, but it sounds like a reasonable story.)

Thank you everyone for your kind words. :)

Originally posted by calgacus
Finland, scientific LOL :lol:

Why does every small nation choose "Scientific" as a trait for their civ?

Yes, scientific for Finnish is far from a perfect trait, but so are all others. With small civs that don't have a long and rich history to draw from, traits are always some kind of a compromise. There has been a long discussion here at Civ Fanatics about the problematics of Finnish traits and there was _no_ agreement on any of them despite numerous good arguments for different views of the matter.

My own opinion:

Traits that don't apply at all:
Seafaring, Expansionist, Religious

Traits that apply badly:
Militaristic, Commercial, Industrious, Scientific

Traits that apply reasonably:
Agricultural

You could always try a different approach and look at what different traits do, when choosing the second trait (I find agricultural to be good enough match for it to be in automatically). Commercial or Religious would be best picks. Political stability, reduced corruption apply, but religiousness and commercialness don't.

All in all, I think that in addition to scientific, commercial has an ok claim for the second trait. I don't see us as commercial enough, but reduced corruption and the probability of Finns turning into a more important trader civ in better circumstances speak for it.

No matter what combination you choose, you're going to have someone come and tell how ridiculous your choice was. Naturally without bothering to offer his own opinion on the matter.

And small nations with short history choose often scientific for their civs because science is one of the fields where small civs often have had their largest impact.

Originally posted by Glorfinder
are you trying to Animate kekkonen now ?

I did test simple blinking, but I got frustrated after making two frames. I don't believe he will be animated and as he isn't based on a 3D-model, his animations would be limited to changing facial expressions. Kekkonen feels finished now and if/when I start working with leaderheads again, I'll probably do something new from the scratch.

and i was just wondering when are we going to see famous hakkapelitos.

There was a request on them a while back. Nothing came out of it though.

Originally posted by Drift

I picked Korea because it is generally disliked and thought to be in the game for purely market reasons. Americans are just a young civ and they definitely do have a history and their impact on the world history has been huge. Game's existing European civs on the other hand are all significant civs. In my opinion, when introducing a marginal civ like Finnish, it has to replace another 'marginal' civ - Koreans in this case. (They are not nearly as marginal as Finnish, but still.)

I agree that replacing an asian civ reduces already few asian civs more drastically than removing an european civ would reduce european civs. But what's done is done.

I understand why you picked the Koreans but I personally gave them a better UU (A nice A/D ship with transport replacing Galleon) but i think the americans should be replaced by a Sioux civ and you could of replaced the Celts (Western Europe is too packed on Earth maps). Sorry for any disruption this may have caused too anybody ;).

Originally posted by Glorfinder
if i could get someone to do animated leaderhead would that be nice?

You mean based on mine? Why not.

However, I'm curious, are there programs that can guestimate the frames between two different pictures? I mean, entering picture of a happy Kekkonen and a picture of neutral Kekkonen and the program creating animation of the transition between the two pictures?

If such programs exist, I'd prefer to do it myself. Assuming I can get my hands on one of them. It is my creation and if I only can, I'd like to do the work myself. :)

Unexisted mentioned a program called Goo, I assume it's part of Kai's Power Tools? Maybe it can do this stuff. I gotta do some research on this, so don't ask around quite yet. :)

You said that Jaeger units won't appear at normal game. So when I play normal game, not scenario, I can play with Finland, but Jaegers (Jääkärit) won't work.

Originally posted by troopper5
You said that Jaeger units won't appear at normal game. So when I play normal game, not scenario, I can play with Finland, but Jaegers (Jääkärit) won't work.

No, no, no. The Russian infantry graphics don't appear in the normal game, as in they aren't used by some other units. Jaegers work just fine.

However, only way of playing as Finns is as a scenario (selecting Finnish Civilization.biq from Civ-Content) but that scenario is completely identical to normal game other than Finnish replacing Koreans and Jaegers being their unique unit.

You can add Finnish permanently into your game, but that involves copying over files and stuff. I strongly suggest you play as them in the form of a scenario, but if you want, I can tell you what to do in order for them to be a permanent part of Conquests.

OK Drift. When I was thinking about adding the Finns to play the world, I was thinking religious and expansionist. But I was think more of the Finns(Frinno-Ugric) of Finland, the Baltic and Russia together. I suppose those characteristic might be less appropriate to FInland proper. Religious is usually the trait I use when I can't decide. Almost all humans are religious.

Like the leaderhead. It looks a wee bit like Sweens Eisenhower funnily enough...but not really.

Is this the guy BTW?

Originally posted by calgacus
OK Drift. When I was thinking about adding the Finns to play the world, I was thinking religious and expansionist. But I was think more of the Finns(Frinno-Ugric) of Finland, the Baltic and Russia together. I suppose those characteristic might be less appropriate to FInland proper. Religious is usually the trait I use when I can't decide. Almost all humans are religious.

Not bad traits for the original inhabitants of Finland. It's just a matter of what you look at when choosing the traits. Even though we live in the same area as these people did, there really isn't much connection between us. They can't in my opinion be called a civilization as they were only a handful living mostly out of hunting and collecting. They did have some trade, but farming has been very rare in ancient Finland. In civ terms, they were barbarians. So when choosing traits, the focus shifts to the later Finland.

I came off a bit aggressive earlier, sorry about that. It's just that the Agr-Sci was such a compromise and a difficult choice between many bad options, that I'm a little oversensitive about it. It's bad choice, I know it, but so are the rest. :)

Is this the guy BTW?

That's him. Unexisted too thought he looked like Sween's Eisenhower. It's purely coincidental though.

@ Drift
I guess if I play with Finns, I'll use scenario: I'm not a kind that likes to make lot of back ups :rolleyes:

Top Bottom