Finnish election

crabapple

I am watching
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13107620

Nationalist True Finns make gains in Finland vote
True Finns leader Timo Soini celebrates with supporters at the party's reception in Helsinki, Finland, 17 April 2011 Pre-vote polls suggested the popularity of Timo Soini's True Finns had quadrupled since 2007

A Finnish nationalist party has taken nearly a fifth of votes in the general election, results suggest.

With almost all votes counted, the True Finns were running just behind the conservative NCP and the Social Democrats on around 19%.

The party has an anti-immigration, eurosceptic stance, and its influence could affect EU bail-outs including the planned Portuguese rescue.

A hostile Finnish government could theoretically veto the package.

The conservative National Coalition Party, part of the current centre-right government and a strong advocate for European integration, will be the largest party.

With full results yet to be declared, the True Finns had won 39 seats in the 200-member parliament, official preliminary results showed.

That put it four seats behind the National Coalition Party (NCP) and just three behind the opposition Social Democrats.

The Centre Party of outgoing Prime Minister Mari Kiviniemi had roughly the same level of support, Reuters reported.

The strong showing for the True Finns meant the anti-euro party would at least "get an invitation to talks" on a new government, the agency quoted party leader Timo Soini as saying.
Continue reading the main story
Predicted seats in parliament

* National Coalition Party - 43
* True Finns - 39
* Social Democrats - 42
* Centre Party - 36

Finland is currently governed by an EU-friendly four-party coalition led by the Centre Party and the NCP.

"The bigger parties have no reason to invite the True Finns into any coalition if they can make up the numbers without them," Olavi Borg, professor emeritus in political sciences, told the Associated Press news agency.
EU 'squanderers'

Polling organisations had suggested the True Finns' support would rise to more than 15%, a leap from the 4% they won in 2007.

With its charismatic leader Mr Soini, the party rejects rescue funds for EU "squanderers", as well as opposing immigration.

Analysts say many Finns have become disenchanted with the big three mainstream parties who have run the country for decades.

"Whether the True Finns will really [emerge] as champions of the elections is still uncertain but I think we will clearly get a more nationalistic, more conservative, less European-oriented government in Finland," ING senior economist Carsten Brzeski told Reuters news agency.

Polling stations in the nation of 5.3 million people opened at 0900 (0600 GMT) and closed at 2000.

So much hate of the Swedish language, The future of my minority language seems bleak :sad:

So much hate of the Swedish language, The future of my minority language seems bleak :sad:

Swedish speaking Finn's right is Finnish speaking Finn's obligation... Seriously, I have no problem with you people having your language, but why do I have to learn it? There are only 5% Swedish speaking people in Finland. For the record, not once has there been a situation in my whole life where I would need to know Swedish.

PS. Voted for PS.

If I have understood correctly the "True Finns" advocate the abolishment of mandatory studies of Swedish at school. What does the other parties say? Is this a popular notion amongst the voters?

The election results are on the news here as well, but as per usual the reports are shallow and not very informative. Could you tell us a little more about the campaign and the election, crabapple? It has been an unusally heated atmosphere, hasn't it?

If I have understood correctly the "True Finns" advocate the abolishment of mandatory studies of Swedish at school. What does the other parties say? Is this a popular notion amongst the voters?
About two thirds support the abolishment of mandatory Swedish studies, me being among them.

And the Conservatives, the Centerparty and the Social-Democrates?

I don't know about other parties, what I ment to say is that two thirds of Finns overall support the abolishment of mandatory Swedish studies.

Politics is rarely run as people in general would like it to be (for better or worse). So this language debate may just turn out to be..well, all talk and nothing more.

How many years of Swedish is required for Finnish-speaking Finns?

I was gonna vote for the Swedish party (and I'm a Finnish-speaking Finn), but then I realized that the National Coalition (Kokoomus) needed my vote more. I'm very much against these "True Finns".

I'm very much against these "True Finns".
What are these True Finns like? Anti-Immigrant & Anti-EU Right-Wing Populists? The kind of people that always come with the analysis and "solutions" that are the most easy to explain?

What are these True Finns like? Anti-Immigrant & Anti-EU Right-Wing Populists? The kind of people that always come with the analysis and "solutions" that are the most easy to explain?

Nailed it. Hope they aren't gonna get too much power regarding our foreign policy.

According to Wiki Almighty:

Policies of the party include:[12][13]

Progressive taxation and the welfare state
Opposition to the European Union and to admission to NATO
Abolition of mandatory Swedish on all levels of education
State support for rural regions
Reductions in foreign aid
Strict limits on asylum-seekers
Increased state investment in infrastructure and industry
Pro-industry environmental policy
Tougher punishment for crime
Support to those arts promoting Finnish identity

What's the stance of these people on the Karelian question?

Swedish language has been mandatory only since 1950's if I remember correctly, while most of Finnish history there has been no mandatory Swedish studies and yet you guys have been just fine.

Politics is rarely run as people in general would like it to be (for better or worse). So this language debate may just turn out to be..well, all talk and nothing more.

I know, otherwise studying Swedish would have never been mandatory.

How many years of Swedish is required for Finnish-speaking Finns?

Three in elementary school, and if they go on to high school it's three more. And studying Swedish continues even at uni.

I was gonna vote for the Swedish party (and I'm a Finnish-speaking Finn), but then I realized that the National Coalition (Kokoomus) needed my vote more. I'm very much against these "True Finns".

How come? I never heard of a Finnish speaking Finn voting for RKP (or SFP, Swedish folk's party or whatever it is called)

Nailed it. Hope they aren't gonna get too much power regarding our foreign policy.

To be honest, I too hope for this. And I doubt they will. I personally disagree with True Finns' foreign policy.

What's the stance of these people on the Karelian question?

I'm guessing they want Karelia back:lol:. Seriously though, it's a non-issue because Russia will never give it back and I, for one, am not at all sure I even want it back.

Oh well, just what I thought. The reason why I asked was because we (in the Netherlands) have the Party for Freedom which perfectly fits the bill as well. While they don't have any ministers, they do have influence, and while I sometimes agree with them, they usually resort to the type of policies that you can sell to a 6 six-year old without regard for the consequences.

Top Bottom