Firaxicon - why the hate for Canada?

Breezin

Warlord
Let me just say I am from Canada but am not some flag waving overzealous patriot.

I attended Firaxicon yesterday and was disheartened by certain comments or lack there of regarding my country.

I want to mention that I fully understand why Canada is not in Civ games as it's already represented via France, England, and United States. I see my country as an amalgam of those three countries in particular so game play and fun-wise adding it in would add little.

There where three times in particular where I was put off.

(1) At a talk about BE, an lot of time was paid to discussing how the nations formed various factions. There was in-depth discussion regarding all but the ARC. Where there was an explanation as to why certain countries were and were not included (left white) in a faction when it came to indicating why Canada and Mexico were not represented the comment was "what are they gonna do". To me this implied, that Canada is nothing without the USA. Yes, Canada depends on the USA but we're not worthless.

(2) The discussion regarding how Civs were chosen to BTW, again a lot of explanation was given to pretty much every other country, included or not, except for Canada and Australia. There was mention of how Civs are chosen. Why not throw a few words about these two countries and how they fared or reasons why they were not chosen? What irritated me more, is at least Australia gets representation in BE.

(3) The final issue sealed the deal so to speak for my opinion. It was during the talk with Sid and it was mentioned that he was born in Canada but moved to the USA when he was three. When there was clapping in recognition of his birth country I could sense from his demeanor and facial expression he was not please with this association. I am pretty good a reading people as it's part of what I do this for a living and it was obvious to me. He mentioned that his family came to Canada since USA wouldn't take them until they had enough money. You think that someone would be grateful that Canada did take his family in but I didn't get that sense. They other speaker actually right after mentioning this made a point to say that Sid has dual citizenship - Swiss and American. I felt this was a bit of a slap in the face.

I suspect that the real reason Canada has never been included is not so much that as a country and culture it's not distinct enough but rather there is a top down bias against it.

Will I stop playing Civ games? No. But I had to get this off my chest rather than do the Canadian thing and just shrug my shoulders.

I know I'll get burned in this thread for my comments but I don't care. I needed to bring this up.

(2) The discussion regarding how Civs were chosen to BTW, again a lot of explanation was given to pretty much every other country, included or not, except for Canada and Australia.

I wasn't present at Firaxicon and I don't know if these discussions are available online, but are Canada and Australia really the only exceptions? Personally I'd love to see Argentina, Armenia, Israel etc., was there any mention of why these countries were not chosen? Perhaps they gave some examples that can also be applied to the Canadian case?

I wasn't present at Firaxicon and I don't know if these discussions are available online, but are Canada and Australia really the only exceptions? Personally I'd love to see Argentina, Armenia, Israel etc., was there any mention of why these countries were not chosen? Perhaps they gave some examples that can also be applied to the Canadian case?

Well I think Israel would be to ocontroversial politically, and may lead to the game being banned in strict Muslim countries. Unless they wanted the "joy" of destroying it game after game after game.

So basically they didn't discuss Canada a lot in a panel about civs that did make it and you know because of your super powers that Sid Meier hates Canada ?

If you knew you'd get burned when writing this, that's because there's good reason to. This is just paranoia.

Canada and Australia are not civilizations in real sense of the word. They are not much more than former British/French colonies that dont even have unique culture or language and their history is short. Most of their history they have been puppets for Britain and USA. In many ways they still are. They would not add anything interesting to the game IMO. No reason to ever add them to "normal" Civ game.

CIV Beyond Earth is totally different thing, but when we have only 8 sponsors I dont see big deal if they are included or not. Im hoping they are using imagination when forming new Sponsors for expansions. 200 years is a long time so we should not be too attached to modern Nations. I dont want more Sponsors like Brazil.

On Ed Beach's panel discussing how they picked the 9 BNW civs, he said they had 4 easy choices (Poland, Zulu, Portugal, and Morocco). They then clustered other popular candidates into 4 categories:

Ancient - Assyria, Hittites and Sumer
Former colonies - Australia, Brazil and Canada
Native American: Pueblo, Shoshone and Inuit
Southeast Asia/Spice Islands: Khmer, Vietnam and Indonesia​

with the intention of picking one from each category. (The 9th civ, Venice, came though a separate decision-making process, which he also described.)

Brazil was the winner in its category, partly on the strength of geographic diversity (S. America) and its soon-to-be (at that point) status as host of the World Cup and Olympics. He didn't discuss either Australia or Canada at any length, other than to note that none of the 3 had ever been in the game (in any Civ iteration) and that they had strong fan bases in each country.

Lots of nations / regions are not represented in the game. The middle east, northern africa, scandinavia, Finland, the british isles, the balkans, Japan. Also sub saharan Africa is the world's largest country(again).

Also, are we sure ARC doesn't represent chunks of Canada as well as the usa?

Lots of nations / regions are not represented in the game. The middle east, northern africa, scandinavia, Finland, the british isles, the balkans, Japan. Also sub saharan Africa is the world's largest country(again).

Also, are we sure ARC doesn't represent chunks of Canada as well as the usa?

Northern Africa is part of Franco Iberia, Japan is in the Pan Asian Co-operative, The rest of Africa is apart of the PAU. And remember these are sponsors so nations still exist. ARC is also a multinational corporation and not affiliated with any nation, hence the row over them not being able to put the US flag on their ships.
Australia is apart of Polystralia so how is Australia not represented again?

It's hard to express how silly these nationalistic complaints are. There are 8 factions in the game, and some 200 nations on Earth. So Firaxis apparently hates at least 192 of them?

So basically they didn't discuss Canada a lot in a panel about civs that did make it and you know because of your super powers that Sid Meier hates Canada ?
Sid Meier is Canadian. He was born in Ontario.

Sid Meier is Canadian. He was born in Ontario.

(3) The final issue sealed the deal so to speak for my opinion. It was during the talk with Sid and it was mentioned that he was born in Canada but moved to the USA when he was three. When there was clapping in recognition of his birth country I could sense from his demeanor and facial expression he was not please with this association. I am pretty good a reading people as it's part of what I do this for a living and it was obvious to me. He mentioned that his family came to Canada since USA wouldn't take them until they had enough money. You think that someone would be grateful that Canada did take his family in but I didn't get that sense. They other speaker actually right after mentioning this made a point to say that Sid has dual citizenship - Swiss and American. I felt this was a bit of a slap in the face.
And he is quite confident that Sid hates Canada. He can read people's minds!

And he is quite confident that Sid hates Canada. He can read people's minds!
Ah. Well, hopefully I can be forgiven for not reading all of this ridiculous rant.

I suppose if anyone has a right to hate Canada, it's someone who was born there. The slightly more absurd suggestion is that Sid himself has any role in choosing which factions are in the game.

@OP (Breezin):

Dude come on, I love Canada - you've had Benton Fraser!

Mild humor aside (yes I'm a die hard fan of Due South series) I respect Canada much more that US, just because someone somewhere didn't act this way don't worry, in my mind (and many others) Canada rocks!

Canada is, in fact, the butt of a lot of jokes in America...along with France, Italy, Arabs, Blacks, Indians, Mexicans, blondes, fatties...well, you get my drift. People's feelings about exclusion and derision have a lot to do with perspective. In the end, what goes around comes around. I'm never going to assert that none of what OP perceives ain't so...but I can say is that, personally, I'm not one to knock Canadians or Canada. My origin is Italian-American and I know where OP's coming from. All I can say to OP is, I hope the event wasn't quite as bad as you perceived it at the time and wish you a speedy recovery from your ill feelings.

On the general Civilization stage, Canada's just not very influential and has a lot of competition for prized civ spots. But it's rather drastic to interpret there's serious "top-down" bias against Canada. I mean, I wasn't there to note Sid's demeanour, but I'd sooner chalk up his indifference/mild rejection to being called Canadian to him not really identifying as such. He was very, very young when he migrated and he probably doesn't remember anything about Canada. You can't really blame him for feeling completely American.

Personally, I'm used to my country not having representation in games, though Argentina was partially represented via José de San Martín in Civ4 Colonization. The lack of a proper, official Argentinian civ in traditional Civilizations never really bothered me, but I do see some potential for interesting stuff in Beyond Earth, so I've rolled up my sleeves and am working on something. :mischief:

Sometimes, that's what you have to do if you want something. If others won't provide it, provide for yourself!

On Ed Beach's panel discussing how they picked the 9 BNW civs, he said they had 4 easy choices (Poland, Zulu, Portugal, and Morocco). They then clustered other popular candidates into 4 categories:

Ancient - Assyria, Hittites and Sumer
Former colonies - Australia, Brazil and Canada
Native American: Pueblo, Shoshone and Inuit
Southeast Asia/Spice Islands: Khmer, Vietnam and Indonesia​

with the intention of picking one from each category. (The 9th civ, Venice, came though a separate decision-making process, which he also described.)

Brazil was the winner in its category, partly on the strength of geographic diversity (S. America) and its soon-to-be (at that point) status as host of the World Cup and Olympics. He didn't discuss either Australia or Canada at any length, other than to note that none of the 3 had ever been in the game (in any Civ iteration) and that they had strong fan bases in each country.

Thanks for this. Do you know if they filmed this talk? - I've been dying to see it. Also, here is a list of all the great Civ Mods out there that make up the civs in that list (except for Pueblo for obvious reasons):

Hittites (Tomatekh): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111790660
Sumer (Tomatekh): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=83839444
Australia (Colonialist Legacies): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221344781
Canada (Colonialist Legacies): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231775803
Inuit (Colonialist Legacies): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=301782501
Khmer (Sukritact): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309283936
Vietnam (Colonialist Legacies): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257018080

I'm interested to here why Venice got in, alongside why say Mexico wasn't included in the discussion and why the Shoshone were included over say the Sioux. I can understand choosing Brazil over Australia and Canada - the flavour is there and is going to be in the news a whole lot more what with being the main focal point of the Sports world.

In terms of planning new civs, I have to say - dividing it up like that is extremely logical and if I were to create a new lineup, it'd definitely follow the same process (something along the lines of Australia, Canada, Mexico, Inuit, Sioux, Vietnam, Phoenicia, Kongo, Hungary).

The panels were all recorded and should be released quite soon. The civ selection panel in particular was really interesting and relevant to Civfanatics. I'll post something about all the panels later this evening - I just left and am on my way to DC.

Wow, this dude is working overtime trying to be offended. I didn't see anything in his points that would lead one to his conclusion.

We'll never forgive you for Justin Bieber.

Wow, this dude is working overtime trying to be offended. I didn't see anything in his points that would lead one to his conclusion.

When one sports a painful scab, it does not take much to rub it raw...just sayin'

So i've said it afew times and ill say it again, it's heavily implied the "great mistake" hit the western world a LOT harder than Eurasia, so much so that the "american" goverment is gone, and ARC is not actually america but more or less the remnants of it.
it's a safe assumption canada suffered the same fate.

Top Bottom