Firaxis announces new title: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by The_J, Jan 5, 2012.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Today the next Firaxis title has been announced: "XCOM: Enemy Unknown".
    The article at GameInformer does not cover very much, besides definitely saying that it will be a strategy game, and not a shooter. It will be released for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC in this autumn. So we can then hopefully expect a fresh game about alien hunting in a strategical environment.

We wish everyone happy discussing and speculating in our thread in the other games section.
    Thanks to Rub'Rum for posting these news :).

Attached Files:

2. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

They should concentrate on making Civ V an interesting and playable game instead of making such a game ! :sad:

3. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

agreed, i would rather the games already out be focused on - otherwise i will just believe this is going to be like civ 5. it will have 3 characters and 3 levels with 20 bugs. over the course of 20 patches, they fix one bug per session and each time they will release a DLC character for a total of 23 characters.

then they will announce civ 6.

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I was optimistic until I read that will be released on the PS3 and Xbox360 as well as PC. While CivRev isn't that bad of a game, it isn't amazing either and their recent work has been little to brag about.

5. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

Welp, so much for that Civ5 expansion. I hope no one still believes that a Civ5 expansion (which has never been announced at any point in time, and which almost certainly would have been out for the 2011 holidays if it were going to arrive) is still appearing over the horizon. Development on Civ5 looks to be just about finished at this point.

As far as this XCOM title is concerned, I'm not holding my breath. Firaxis hasn't released a genuinely good game since Civ4, and that was going on 7 years now...

6. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

Alright... so XCOM: UFO Defense and UFO: Enemy Unknown are the same game; and now they decide to call their new game XCOM: Enemy Unknown. -- Are they just trying to cause confusion?

7. renohol

renohol Warlord

i am excited, i loved the first x com game

8. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Meh, I don't care.

9. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Well, I guess this means I ought to get around to playing the X-COM pack I bought on Steam awhile back, eh?

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Could be interesting. Perhaps the 1upt in Civ5 was a trial run to learn what works for XCOM?

11. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

Maybe. But to me it seems more likely that they just decided the time was right to squeeze some more money out of the X-Com name. I don't expect this new game to be better than the original. I think they are more interested in selling games than making games. :(

12. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

+1 for I would rather see some more civ5 content.

13. CodeMasterMike

CodeMasterMike Chieftain

YES! Finally a new XCom game that will, hopefully, be as good or better than XCom: Terror from the deep! :)

Im sure Firaxis has enough employees to work on Civ 5 and XCOM at the same time. So people shouldnt worry about that.

14. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Heck, they need to scrap all of Civ 5 to begin with, IMHO that is. Like i said in many many posts, they need to get RID of those "stupid" icons above the units to begin with, they are just hideous (again IMO).

I bet ya C2C (Caveman to Cosmos):king: could out sell Civ 5, 2 - 1 even today (and with the bugs included). If we could get all the main modders to help out, C2C would be the best mod in Civ 4,:) (of course) not counting any Fantasy game.(again IMO).

To me if they get rid of those "s. . . icons", and stuff like that Civ 5 wouldn't be so bad, still bad but wouldn't look so darn cartoonish as the current interface is.:sad:

15. aziantuntija

aziantuntija Prince

First of all, X-COM Enemy Unknown is one of the best games in history and im happy (but also very surprised) to hear that Firaxis is making new X-COM game.

BUT! Im also very very very concerned about the fact that its also going to be on consoles, consoles are NOT for strategy games, they are for sports games, beat em up games shooters and #%&# like that. Still I must admit that im glad that I didnt just yet pre-purchased Xenonauts, as this gives me time to think between these two.

16. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Wow, what a bunch of haters! Firaxis makes one mediocre game (Civ V is not terrible, but I do have my problems with it... and it has improved!) and they are suddenly the worst developer in the world?!? I don't agree with all of the decisions that they have made, but I still hold faith in them. If anything, I put more blame on Take-Two. That said, I am happy to hear that Firaxis is working on the new XCOM TBS game. Firaxis was born out of Microprose, afterall. I have faith in them with my biggest fear being that they will be forced to tailor the story to fit the unwanted FPS game (which would clearly be a publisher decision, not a developer).

Oh, I am also pretty confident that Firaxis can multitask between Civilization and X-Com. Did the other games that Firaxis released (Pirates!, CivRome, etc) interfere with Civ IV? I am sure that there is plenty going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

17. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

One mediocre game? I'm not sure you've been watching their recent release calendar:

Civ4 (2005)
    Civ4 expansions (2006, 2007)
    Civ City: Rome (2006)
    Railroads! (2006)
    Civ Revolution (2008)
    Civ4 Colonization (2008)
    Civ5 (2010)
    Civ World (2011)

I wouldn't say a single one of those games post-Civ4 was better than "average", and some of them were worse than that. And while I suppose it's possible that there is a Civ5 expansion still on the way, it's really starting to stretch logic to believe that something which has never been announced at any point in time is going to appear over the horizon soon. The difference with the Civ4 expansions is that they were advertised immediately after the game's release, and everyone knew they were on the way from the beginning. Firaxis is not a large studio, XCOM is going to be a major release (due in less than a year's time), and Firaxis is also supposedly in early development of a Civilization MMO. In addition to all that, Firaxis also is still providing support for both Civ5 and Civ World.

Again, I won't say it's impossible, but it seems far more likely that Civ5 will get another DLC or two at most.

18. aziantuntija

aziantuntija Prince

That is your opinion, it is not the truth, its simply just your opinion and nothing more. Want to hear my opinion? I havent played Civ City: Rome, Railroads!, Civ Revolution or Civ World but I have played Civ4, Civ4 expansions, Civ4 Colonization and Civ5 and those games are good, really good.

I have faith for Firaxis, but its the 2K + consoles announcement that gives me the creeps in this new X-COM strategy game.

19. AIL

AIL Warlord

The thing that made the 1st X-Com game so much more enjoyable than all the sequels and clones was the setting.

It played in the near future on the world as it is now with the countries like they are now.

The other games having Post-apocalyptical setups, playing on other planets or under water or whatever just lacked the charme of the first one.

20. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

I fear this will be like CivCity:Rome and Civ4:Colonization. Take a good old game with strong IP, port it to a new engine using as little money as possible and hope that it sells decently. Release 1-2 minor patches and abandon the project after a month leaving it flawed and bugged with no new innovations.

Firaxis certainly looks more and more like the company who lives on the glory of the 90s without any ambitions or skill to make something new.

The only thing that makes me somewhat positive is that I believe UFO is a game I feel can handle 2012 with less improvements than the previous ones. That might make it better than Civ4:Col which needed an overhaul much more.