1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis announces new title: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by The_J, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Thorn

Thorn Chieftain

I'm not familiar with how Firaxis is structured, but why would this mean "there goes a Civ 5 expansion"? Is it just two guys in a basement working on one thing at a time?

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

If you look at the Firaxis site, you'll see that they have 61 people. That's enough for developing a game and patching another one.

3. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

bah, i want Sid Meiers Oregon Trail. there, i said it. make it crap if you have to, just make it moddable :)

4. danieladler

danieladler Chieftain

I cant see why civplayers should be happy about this crappy game....

5. Watiggi

Watiggi Chieftain

I loved the old XCOM. I was never good at it, but I loved it.

I wonder how this will go? I really don't feel optimistic about it though.

6. Apoll

Apoll Chieftain

Even if is the same good old game, with the gfx from CIV 5, worth the money.

XCom 1 cost me quite a few points at school studies when came out and for many months :)
    At least Terror from The deep came out a year after I finished school so no worries. That summer 95 I burned it to death :)

7. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Final Threshold

I like how everyone here says Civ V was terrible and yet they're asking for more of it.

8. Midgard Eagle

Midgard Eagle Chieftain

Not exactly their kind of game, is it? Civ games never exactly delved deeply into tactics or combat

/me moves Skyranger full of soldier to map tile with crashed UFO

While attacking, your Recruit was destroyed by a Sectoid Soldier!
    Your Recruit is under mind control!
    While attacking, your Recruit was destroyed by a Recruit!
    While attacking, your Skyranger was destroyed by a Sectoid Soldier!

Napoleon of North Korea: want to trade incense for a Snakeman corpse?

:Waiting for other civilizations:

On a bit more serious note... UFO: Enemy Unknown was a fantastic game, as was the sequel -- but none of the games that have come after have managed to capture its atmosphere or the mechanics that made it great in the first place (primarily the destructible environment, of course). In fact, if it's one thing Civ4 (and to an extent CivV) do very poorly, it's atosphere, in my opinion.

I'm crossing my fingers for the indie game Xenonauts, which seems to be just about the only promising X-Com clone out there.

The original UFO Enemy Unknown was ported to a console:p.

9. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

Everyone here is asking for more of Civ 5? Are you and I using different languages or something?

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: We mainly want more XCOM.
    Everyone who wants to talk about Civ5 should go into the Civ5 forums and not discuss it here.

11. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

So what will the new game be like? An original re-imaging of the first two X-Com games?

Sounds interesting all the same. I'd say start from scratch with the design, and also be sure not to cookie cutter repeat the X-com GUI (great games in their day, but tedious to give orders). A "casual" multi-platform game version would be ok as long as the retail price reflected that fact.

12. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Chieftain

XCOM: UFO Defense was, and remains, in many ways, an astonishingly good game. I still play it occasionally using DOSBox. Firaxis' new release will inevitably be compared to the original and therein lies the possibility for humiliation; if the new game doesn't stack up favorably with the eighteen year old one it isn't exactly going to be a merit badge for Firaxis.

13. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Final Threshold

What does a game expansion mean in your language anyway? A reduction of content in the game?

14. Apoll

Apoll Chieftain

Ssshhhh Don't mention the years.
    Got bit sentimental with this announcements, and multiple discussions about the game in various forums, that got it from Steam today (floppy disks lost in time) playing while listening to mid 90s music as when I was 18. :)

15. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

If Firaxis is doing a crap rush-job on XCOM, I hope they are aware of the fact they are doing a crap rush-job, and make it as moddable as possible. For a small increase initial outlay, Firaxis can ensure a doting and loyal fanbase will make the game they didn't have the time, money, or resources to do.

16. aziantuntija

aziantuntija Chieftain

And you say that because in GoldHawk Forums you have big shiny label just under your avatar that says: "PREMIUM PRE-ORDER"? ;)

I was just about to pre-order Xenonauts few days ago but then I saw that Firaxis is also planning to make XCOM game, so I might as well just wait and see wich will be better before I purchase.

17. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

Dude, I don't know what you're talking about.

This is what you said:
    I'm just saying that not 'everyone' here is saying Civ 5 is terrible; and those who do say Civ 5 is terrible are not asking for more of it. So I have no idea why you are saying what you are saying.

In any case, I'm happy to just leave our discussion there so that I can stop checking this thread. :)

18. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Moderator Action: Reiterating the point made above - focus on XCom in this thread, please!

This is old news, as it was reviewed at least 12-18 months ago (In fact, found my review copy of PC Powerplay (AUS) from June 2010, which had XCOM on the cover). It is NOT a TBS game. It is actually (according to the review) a FPS game, although from what they say, I'd probably describe it as a RPG.

I couldn't find the review online, but here are some others:
    http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/2011/09/xcom-according-to-2k-marin/
    http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/2011/07/new-xcom-is-less-ray-charles-more-kanye-west/

19. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

Oh. When I read not a shooter in the first post I assumed it meant this game wasn't the FPS that I've already heard about (which is old news, as you said). On closer inspection I see that "not a shooter" really meant that it is some dude's opinion that this game will not be a typical FPS.

In any case... I personally have no interest in a first-person x-com game.

20. kaltorak

kaltorak Chieftain

Focus on PC firaxis please. Making games for pc and consoles makes them so much worse.