Firaxis announces "Sid Meier's Starships"

Discussion in 'Starships' started by SupremacyKing2, Jan 19, 2015.

1. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

it'd be cool if the bridge view looked a little like this, minus the constant threat of mutiny and random [snip]

...traders for life!...

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/01/26/394855/Saudi-bourse-to-open-to-foreigners
    "Saudi bourse to open to foreigners...he emphasized that the date will be before the end of the first half of 2015."

Countering Killer Asteroid - Diplo Victory in future expansion?

Moderator Action: Please do not try to evade the auto censor. Word snipped.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

2. gyrobot

gyrobot Chieftain

I always thought it was more like they are in "combat uniforms" rather than "Diplomatic dress". So they need more pronounced adaptations when aboard the ships. Bolivar apparently is still having signs of Supremacy even in Purity.

3. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Apple has sold 170 million iPads to date. Frankly, Firaxis would be foolish and short sighted to ignore the tablet as a gaming platform.

4. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Thx for the info

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

The number sold is irrelevant if the platform is not suited to strategy games. There have been many more than 170 million gaming consoles sold, but that hasn't resulted in a flood of quality console strategy games from Firaxis. XCOM was good (though not a traditional 4X strategy game), but Civilization: Revolution was garbage.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Of course the platform needs to be suited for strategy games. And I believe in time, tablets can become a good platform for strategy games. So, it would be foolish for developers like Firaxis not to even try. If they are able to make strategy games work on a tablet then it becomes a whole new market, leading to profits which will spur further growth and development, leading to even better games in the future. I was simply pointing out that the number of iPads sold create potential.

7. Callonia

Callonia Deity

I notice one thing that I always want the most in civ series is never present in all the trailers and such...

It never shows how well the AI can fight you.

They usually show shiny new features, starships was no exception.

I can't help but assume that Firaxis haven't improved the combat AI from civ 5/be. I will continue to pay attention to the news but if I hear nothing about this one particular thing I won't bother buying because it will disappoint me again.

8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Merged Civ Starships into the main Starships thread

9. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

The combat in Starships uses a completely different system from Civ5, so I'd be surprised if they could reuse any of the tactical AI from Civ or Beyond Earth. If anything, it's more similar to XCOM; if they reused anything, I think it more likely be from there.

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

There are several key differences with Starships that should in principle make it a bit easier to program the AI in combat:
    1) The battle maps seem bigger and roomier. Ships move fast enough that they should have more room to maneuver compared to units in civ5. Also, a lot of hexes are empty space unlike civ maps where every tile is modifying the movement or blocking a unit.
    2) We see that ships can fire from a good distance away as long as they have line of sight. This should make it easier for the AI ships to attack since they don't be adjacent.
    3) Since ship customization is a straight forward affair of picking modules among only 9 types, it should be possible to hard code some templates of good designs for the AI to implement. That way the AI will at least have effective ship designs. Also, you can program some effective strategies based on the template. So for example, if AI builds a carrier, it knows the launch fighters immediately and keep the carrier back.

So, I do expect the AI in starships to be better than in civ5. But I don't think the AI will be better than a human. In games like this, the human is always better at tactics.

I did notice in the PAX demo and the Twitch demo that shields seem to be broken right now. If you look at the damage modifier window during the PAX demo, the enemy shields actually increased damage by 1 hp instead of reducing damage. That has to be a bug. And in the Twitch demo, the enemy shields did not change damage at all or reduced it by only 1 measly hp. So I am thinking they have not fully implemented shields yet. That just seems broken to me. I would expect even 1 shield module to reduce damage at least a little bit.

11. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

i think starships will get a boost as the government rolls out with the plan to subsidize telescopes for every citizen in order to, most importantly, seek killer asteroids.

12. Acken

Acken Deity

Funny. This game gave me a need to replay Homeworld but then I noticed that it will be remastered in february :p So at least it got me excited by that.

13. Traejun

Traejun Warlord

Thus far, from the footage I've seen, the game looks REALLY basic. Super streamlined, to the degree that it looks/feels dated.

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I'll wait and see about this one but I can't say I am too excited about it.

I'd rather they devote all their resources to Civ VI.

15. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

Well, I'm going to wait until AFTER the game comes out to make my decisions. Depending on price, I might pay full price or wait for a sale.

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I can't believe I am saying this because I've always hated MP. I've always been that gamer that only cares about the single player experience of a game. But, I really hope Starships will offer multiplayer. It seems like Starships will be one of those games where single player campaign will be nice but multiplayer will be where the game really shines. I feel like the tactical combat part of the game when it pits two human players against each other, will offer gamers the most fun experience. Human players will enjoy pitting their tactical skills against each other with their custom fleets, much more so than completing missions against a static AI.

17. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

i wonder if Starships will receive it's own subforum soon .

i think brasilian supremacy is the best way to go ... i think since wonders provide exceptions to the rules , supremacy reigns supreme ( pun intended i guess )

i think brazil's extra ship is a big deal . just to name a few options off the bat , i could sell the third ships' systems in order to enhance one or both ships' remaining in the initial fleet . also , i would utilize the third ship to scout for stealth ships while the other two ships can launch fighters . #whoa

18. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

19. Gort

Gort Emperor

What issues did you have with Civ Rev? I got it for £8 and have not regretted my purchase - I actually think it had some ideas that Civ 6 should include:

1. Free explorer unit with every transport ship

2. Unique stuff for each civ every era

3. Hilarious sound effects whenever a spy moves

20. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Pete Murray just tweeted me that lower difficulties give the player a bonus to firepower which is why we saw one shot kills in the demo. He said that on higher difficulty levels, it is rare to score one shot kills in the early game. Also, shield strength is based on tech level, number of modules, incoming damage and difficulty level. So, the low difficulty level increases damage and lowers shields to make it easier for the player to score one shot kills.