Firaxis announces "Sid Meier's Starships"

Discussion in 'Starships' started by SupremacyKing2, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Callonia

Callonia Deity

No idea. I will wait til the game is out so I can know for sure. I can't trust firaxis at this point compared to triumph studios.

Triumph studios managed to make a AI that actually make me retreat from time to time.

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I received it as a gift; I didn't have any expectations except that I assumed it would be dumbed-down and ridiculously easy, but my experience fell short even of that. I found it too boring and insultingly stupid to play for more than a few hours.

I did like how the ships had their own deployable land units. That would be a nice feature to see in a real Civ game someday.

3. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

I wonder about the mechanisms in determining the orientation of shielding prioritization as it proved to be unclear in both demos to me .

4. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

I find that 'Sid Meier's Starships' is kind of Firaxi's way of saying:
    "How about, considering that Civ BE failed, we bring back some love to the series by adding a new game and not improving the other ! "

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be patches for BE in the near future, but I extremely doubt that they will release DLCs/expansions. Most of the time, when a develloper releases 1 game and then releases a 2nd game, they will help patch up the 1st but will then move on to promoting the 2nd game. (Ex: Civ 5 and BeyondEarth)

I think that the IPad app might be a way of sort of playing the computer game on IPad. (Ex: Some of you might have played the new X-Com board game; it uses a regular board with different playing pieces, but it uses an IPad/IPhone/Android app to use some of the events that happen in the game) Although, considering how simple and plain the game looks like, it's possible that my previous point on it being an 'accompanying' app might be mistaken.

Ps: I have all the respect for Sid Meier, as he is a brilliant man who is Canadian :goodjob: But I find that Firaxis is just using Sid to draw people to buy this game. Ya, he is part of the develloping team for this game, but he's propably not as involved in the game as we would like to think.

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Why is everyone making up guesses out of thin air and supposing X, Y and Z?

I don't get this trend.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I find this argument perplexing. If they disbanded the BE dev team and/or moved the entire BE team to civ6, then I could see your argument. That would be a clear indication that they are done with BE and moving on to the next big project. But that is not what happened here. First, Starships was developed before they knew that BE had "failed". So you can't say that Starships is in response to BE "failing". Second, Starships is set in the same universe in BE. Why would they make another game in the BE universe if they thought that BE had "failed"?

7. SteveWellington

SteveWellington Chieftain

@EricTheGreat12

This is why people are hating the game: because people like you think that all the little minor problems in this game are the biggest mistakes in this franchises history.

But in the end, the good always outweighs the bad :D

8. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

I would say that in this case, bad outweighs the good

Like cm'on, can't you just admit that this game is a total flop?

9. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Human nature, I guess. I have employees who spin the most incredibly imaginative scenarios from almost no information whatsoever and make their fantasies sound authentic and plausible to others. When I hear about these 'stories, I find that they are the worst, most distorted interpretation of the 'facts' that is possible. It's just an expression of their fear, their own insecurity.

Same here. 'Firaxis won't support this game. They're done with it Stick a fork in it'. 'Civ Col' is the mantra of the insecure.

Me? If I am disappointed with a game, I move on. And it HAS happened, believe me :blush: but you won't see me wasting a second of my life complaining about it. ;) I've been playing Civ since Civ2 and when the series finally stops entertaining me, I'm onto something else. 'So long and thanks for all the fish.' I'm not going to haunt these boards trying to get Firaxis 'back on track' making games for ME.

10. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

The number of positive reviews on Steam outweighs the number of negative. Not by much as some have pointed out. Around 54% and that does not a successful game make, as they remind me.

But the game is not a flop. There are lots of folks who like it. I'm not alone in liking here. There are others too. ;)

11. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

Because people confuse personal opinion for fact. It is a fact that I think that CIV:BE is not that great, but that fact is based on my personal opinion. A real fact would entail the amount of copies of CIV:BE that Firaxis sold. That is a fact based on hard numbers (should they ever be released).

Objectivity and subjectivity are not taught these days, and if they are, the instructors are doing a poor job of it.

That is why.

12. Callonia

Callonia Deity

54%? If we were to go by grades in school.... that's a F! o.o

And that still shows almost half of people who bought civ be regretted their decision.

13. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

You're stretching to provide supporting evidence for a conclusion you've already made. You might even be right, or you might not. However, you really should consider that this will not include the folks who are happy with their purchase, like myself, who don't bother reporting that they like it. I have never put in a plus vote on Steam or Metacritic, or anywhere and I'm not going to either. Maybe I'm the only one, right? :lol:

There are only about 10,000 reviews on Steam and I'd guess that the game sold a few more than 10,001 copies.

We get that you don't like Civ BE so what are you trying to achieve here? If you have actual evidence to support your case, please provide it.

14. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Surveys do a pretty good job at reporting the opinions of people who respond to surveys. ;)

15. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

16. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Well Kutuzov, i'm trying to find out if I will like Civ: Starships or not.

If the AI is going to be bad, then I would want at least massive battles like 100 ships vs 100 ships.

17. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Well, my response to you was directed at this post...

You were not pursuing a line of enquiry as to whether you will like Starships or not but challenging the significance/importance my statement that 54% of people like the game. Therefore, your righteous 'offence' makes no sense whatsoever.

18. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Of course they do but Steam and Metacritic are not surveys. ;) Meaningful surveys are usually carried out be organisations that take great care to ensure that the tiny cross-section of the public they approach are a reasonably representative sample of the whole. What we're addressing here is people going to these sites to express themselves.

19. Acken

Acken Deity

While voluntary surveys are of the worst kind I find it hard to believe CivBE is somehow an exception when it comes to steam reviews overall.

Also it's worth mentioning that Steam only uses a dichotomous system. If 54% of the reviewers still enjoy it that means that a sizable amount of people can still enjoy it. Just on average the reception is very mixed and so the purchase must be done carefully. The fact that I think the walking dead is a poor game won't make me start thinking the game's 97% aggregated score is due to haters forgetting to review the game. I'm just part of the tiny minority in a world that mostly like this game, no problem there. Maybe in either case there is a mob phenomenon which would make me doubt the accuracy of it to the % though yes.

Saying the "score" is meaningless is as much a shaky position than believing it's 100% accurate or that it should be your only deciding factor. That's the best you'll get at an aggregation of opinions and despite it's inaccuracy still revealing of the average reaction. Also Steam at least requires you to have bought the game to share your opinion about it.

20. Gort

Gort Emperor

I think it would be in Firaxis' best interest to actually engage with their fans about Beyond Earth. It's very easy to think that they've given up supporting it when patches are so infrequent and you hear next to nothing about their reasoning for the changes they made.