1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis announces "Sid Meier's Starships"

Discussion in 'Starships' started by SupremacyKing2, Jan 19, 2015.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

In the interview, Sid said that he started working on Starships a year and a half ago. So, he must have started on it when BE was in early development or possibly even before BE. So, I am not sure how you can call it a BE expansion. In fact, I get the impression that Starships initially was going to be in its own universe but then got changed to be in the BE universe later.

2. a space oddity

a space oddity Deity GOTM Staff

Do you think 2K can whip up a completely new game in a few months? I think not.

3. a space oddity

I agree..

Hmm, I bet no-one has seen this coming! :lol:

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

The fact that you can get planets to join your federation by helping them with stuff, sounds very interesting. Seems very Star Trek to me. :)

5. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Why the Ipad exclusive though, no Shield tablet with much more gaming centered and has Android which is a much larger OS in terms of marketing.

6. a space oddity

Indeed. :)

I have often wondered why, after a Shaceship victory, you were not able continue on a new planet! And now it seems this is something along those lines... I'm curious to see more details.

7. Buildkirbyus

Buildkirbyus Trainee Modder

Whaaaaaaaaaaattttt?
    How did i not know about this?

8. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Perhaps because it was just announced today?

9. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

This might get me playing FF+ again

10. subanark

subanark Warlord

Hrm... kind of feels like Imperialism (the game) in space.

11. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

You can get XCOM: Enemy Within on ios and it is exactly the same. Nuff said

12. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

There are a lot of different android phones and tablets and developers have had trouble making game that will run on every android device from every manufacturer. Apple products are all from Apple so they know exactly what everyone has.

13. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

Sid Meier's Ace Patrol in space is what I'm thinking.

14. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Well, I think it will be a bit more complex than that. AP was just pick a mission, do a 5mn dogfight, pick upgrades, repeat. This game does seem to have some light civ elements. But the tactical combat part will probably be similar to the combat in AP.

15. TLHeart

TLHeart King

and knowing just how miserable all of the civ AI's have been at combat, this game does not excited me one bit...

And is it going to be x,y combat, or will they try and implement z axis also, since it is in space?

Explains why BE problems are being ignored.

16. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

Yes it was announced today

17. a space oddity

From what I have seen of the in-game screen there are tiles, hex-tiles. So, no z-axis.

18. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Well, Sid said in the recent interview that he designed the AI. So, if the AI is suddenly a lot better, we might know who to blame for BE's AI. :D (Just kidding)

Seriously, combat seems a bit simpler in Starships! than in civ since it appears to be empty space with just a few obstacles rather than diverse terrain that modifies movement everywhere. Plus, there are only a few ships on the map, so they won't be blocking each other's movements as much. I doubt we will get the carpet of doom effect where units are completely blocking each other's movements that we see in civ. Also, attacks seem to be ranged so units just need to get close and use the attack button to inflict some damage.

So I am cautiously optimistic that the AI combat will be ok.

Lastly, since the tactical turn based combat seems to be the main component of the whole game, it would make sense that they would invest a lot of work into it. Let's hope anyway.

19. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

Whoa, cool your jets. It was just an thought.

Actually, what I was hoping to get across is if they aren't going to make a Civ VI, why don't they let another company make CIv VI but Firaxis could still retain the rights to Civilization. Similar to how Bethesda let another company make Fallout Vegas.

You are right, they could be making Civ VI but they're a small company with only so much they can do at any one time. Since they are reportedly working on a new Xcom game and now Starships, it seemed a stretch they could also be working on Civ VI as well given that's probably a huge undertaking.

That being said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

The one thing I will say is I really hope that the same Dev team that worked on BE doesn't get a crack at Civ VI. I wouldn't think it would turn out well in that case.

20. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

It does seem that way. I'm fine with that as I didn't play he game anymore anyway. I've been back to Civ V for a couple of months.