1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis announces "Sid Meier's Starships"

Discussion in 'Starships' started by SupremacyKing2, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

What you were hoping to get across you . . . didn't say in the slightest. If Firaxis sold the rights like you posted they wouldn't retain their rights . .. like you just suggested they would.

They could only be doing one thing at a time. They could be doing three things at a time. We, random posters on an Internet forum, do not know.

And yet, you're judging them for your lack of knowledge. It really confuses me, especially with your repeated attacks on the competency of the BE team, most of which probably worked on CiV and their expansions.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Prince

If you check the credits on Mobygames, you'll find several of the same people on both teams.:)

3. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

After seeing the screenshots, I'm not getting the impression here. It looks more like a Civ:BE spin-off which implies that they clearly treasure the world they created with Civ:BE - whether that leads to expansions or not... is hard to tell at this point.

Looks like a smaller game with a tactical bent to it and less empire management. In fact, the fact that it has a starship combat screen but also a galaxy map-style thing reminds me a bit of XCOM. It wouldn't surprise me if that's Sid's fusion of Ace Combat as tactical model with a XCOM/Civ-hybrid as strategy layer to give the tactical combat some grounding.

I like it and it doesn't look like a 4X game at all, so it's probably neither a competitor to Civ:BE nor the eventual Civ VI. I really like the collage-style cut scene, there's hope that some of that concept art might find its way back to Civ:BE in a future expansion/DLC. :D

4. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Considering that BE is PC MAC Android, the integration is likely to be like Civ V Halloween Patch and later to BE. (I'm thinking a link from winning the "Contact" victory)

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

This is actually the sort of thing I was hoping for before Beyond Earth was announced instead.

It looks like 2015 is going to be a very busy year for SF 4X games.

The interview with Sid seems to imply that he actually designed this game himself. I have to wonder if that's really a good thing... I didn't think very highly of Sid's last few design efforts (Civ: Rev and Civ: World).

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

For me, it's the other way around. I am more likely to trust Sid Meier because he has decades of game development experience and made some of my all-time favorite childhood games like Silent Service, Pirates! and Civilization.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I guess you're right that we should just hope for the best; it doesn't do any good to be pessimistic.

8. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Yes, we should hope for the best. For me, I am hoping that Starships! will be a really fun game, that's all. I am especially hopeful that the tactical combat will be fun and engaging.

But at the end of the day, they are just games. If we enjoy playing the game, great. But if or when we don't enjoy playing the game, it is not a big deal, we don't need to play them anymore.

9. Americananomaly

Americananomaly Chieftain

And here I was, hoping that Beyond earth would get more patches, support, and possibly even an expansion one day.

Oh, but I guess firaxis just decided to move onto the next big "popular" thing.

10. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

You know that this does not mean that there will not be an expansion for further DLC for this game? This new title has been in development for a very long time and it would appear that Firaxis are investing in the Civ BE lore.

I honestly don't know that there will be anything new for this game. perhaps there will, perhaps there won't be. But neither do the pessimists know.

11. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

given the mention of cross compatibility with BE (what ever that means), and the Cestus Group name drop it would be safe to assume at least something is coming down the line for BE (probably).

12. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Except it doesn't have the same set of maps, yes...

For turn-based games there's nothing wrong to be released on tablets. Phones are a little bit different beasts as they can't display enough information simultaneously.

13. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Mentioning XCOM this reminds me of X-COM: Interceptor, although that was a flight sim with a strategy overworld component. This would be tactical. Also I'd assume much better.

I'm fine with this likely being a smaller game. Often in bigger games I build my empire over many many hours but I've either won to easily or stand no chance. It's not often I get a truly satisfying clash where I feel like I really earned my victory or defeat. A smaller game would be easier to balance, easier to write AI for and a little quicker to play. It is possible to have something feel epic from something other than just the volume of game that's there. A more careful made game might deliver an epic experience without being bigger than can be managed.

Also, there's plenty of big strategy games. I've been playing strategy games since Civ1 and MoO1 so I know if one is not what you want another will come along later. Every game doesn't have to be The Ultimate Game that does everything.

14. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Well well. Now what exactly is your role here? CFC News. Perhaps this is the first glimmer of something new for BE on the horizon? I'm encouraged by your post.

15. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

purely my own supposition from the available information, nothing more

16. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Heh heh, fair enough. Your reading of events seems to match mine. I see this as good news for folks who want to see more development of Civ BE. Had it been an anouncement that Civ 6 was imminent, that might have made me doubt Firaxis' short term ( at least) comittment to BE.

17. WaffleWaffe

WaffleWaffe Chieftain

The game is getting released for pc AND tablets...so it'll be quite bad. No buy for me.

18. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Why do you think that?

Did you know XCOM was released on tablets?

19. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

OK. I realized my original post was unclear and I tried to make it more clear but you're still bothered. Well I guess you'll be bothered. I'll leave it at that.

They could. I just made an educated guess on what I know about Firaxis - they're a small studio and I didn't think they'd be able to handle more than a few large projects. Maybe I'm wrong or perhaps right. I was just posting an opinion. I'm not sure why that bothered you as well. I'm responding to your comments not so much that I care but I'm more curious why you are so annoyed by my posts I suppose.

I never said they were incompetent. I didn't really care for BE so I posted a personal opinion that I hoped they wouldn't be in charge of Civ VI because I would fear that they'd take it in a direction that I disliked. Again, this annoyed you.

Perhaps just stop reading my posts.

Despite what you may think, I enjoyed responding to you.

Take care.

20. edingess

edingess Warlord

Hopefully now that they've got that game to announcement they can come back to patching BE. I heard that Dave Hinkle said there was another update coming tho IDK what it purports to have.