1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis announces "Sid Meier's Starships"

Discussion in 'Starships' started by SupremacyKing2, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Gort

Gort Emperor

Given that the biggest problem with Civ 5 and BE's 1UPT is how few hexes there are compared to units, 1UPT in 3D might actually improve the AI.

I agree that it wouldn't add much to the gameplay for the human player, though, and they're right to stick with a 2D plane for this game.

2. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

3. kingsbury

kingsbury Warlord

I strongly disagree with the 2d plane in a space sim game in this day and age. If this was pre-2005 or so, or a game aimed solely at the smartphone/handheld market, then I would understand. But for a AAA title released for the PC in 2015 I just find it inexcusable to not include a z axis.

If Firaxis is going to do the hex 1UPT thing and add some tactical depth to the Civ series and spinoffs, then I think they owe it to their audience to make a space sim with a z axis. Otherwise they should just stick to the Civ IV style of combat or something similar that removes much of the tactical decision making when compared to hex/1UPT.

I like the direction that hex/1UPT has taken the Civ franchise, but I think more depth needed to be added for it to truly shine. I'm not the biggest fan of BE, and from the looks of it Starships, but if Firaxis can learn something from creating them and improve tactical combat, Civ VI looks like it could be a contender for the best game of the franchise.

4. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Starships is not a AAA game. It's done by a much smaller team. Also like has been said already, the idea of moving units in 3 dimensions sounds cool, but it would be a pain in the ass to actually do it.

5. Acken

Acken Deity

This is not a 2005 vs 2015 issue. The technology is there since 20years and Homeworld was released in 1999. As much as I loved that game it wouldn't have lost much to be limited on the z-axis. Space RTS/TBS have mostly shy away from it.

The problem is that it looks cool and... that's it. You need to then give the player a tactical view to see everything and it increases the complexity for developers.

Verticality is great for games that do not require a global view like FPS or space sims. But it is usually too much of a headache for strategy games.

6. Wodan

Wodan Deity

That's why you'd be crazy to actually go into an asteroid field. The possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately three thousand, seven hundred, and twenty to one.
    :w00t:

7. keldaur

keldaur Chieftain

I don't mind the game being 2D, mostly because it probably won't be a RTS. But on Homeworld the Z axis played a very important role because ships wouldn't turn instantly, but in a sluggish fashion, so vectoring could help you to land a few hits before the opponent could even react, , etc. It was pretty important. That some people (mostly people who didn't really play multiplayer) didn't use it, or found it frustrating, doesn't mean that there is a minimum gain, just that some people didn't make use out of it.

8. Traejun

Traejun Warlord

Did you know that 72.64% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Crazy.

9. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Real asteroid fields aren't actually dense. Like most things in space they're actually mostly... space. But it's hard to come up with anything else for space terrain.

10. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Never tell me the odds!

11. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

Civ4: Colonization 2.0, eh?

12. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

:lol: love the clever references :goodjob:

13. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

There are a number of other games with this same mechanism and premise. It used to be "other games try to emulate Civilization", now it's the other way around. Saddening. We're witnessing the decline of the civ franchise with unimaginative money grabs. I'm not interested in Sid Meier Starships and I'll be railing against Firaxis and 2k until I see some quality from this company to make up for the failure that's Beyond Earth.

Total letdown, in concept and practice.

14. Dactyl

Dactyl Warlord

I just read a tweet from Sid Meiers in which he invites those who are excited about Starships to come to a panel at PAX. I was excited about the coming of Civ BE, and I'm less than thrilled with it, so I refuse to get excited about Starships. In addition, I have no intention of buying it until I see the community's judgment on it. It's like the old saw goes: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

15. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Everyone was saying the EXACT same things about Civ 5. Exact same things.

16. Hinkle2K

Hinkle2K 2K Games Staff

Indeed, we're having a panel at PAX South with Sid and Beyond Earth co-leads Will and Dave. Should be a good dive into Starships. :)

11am at Falcon, if anybody is planning to attend!

17. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I gather we will see some actual gameplay videos of the game?

Will the panel be on youtube later for those who cannot attend in person?

18. Hinkle2K

Hinkle2K 2K Games Staff

I'm not sure exactly what Sid has planned for the panel, to be honest. And, yes, we're filming the panel, though I'm not sure if the entire panel will be in the video or not.

If you're attending PAX South, you definitely want to be at the panel for the full experience!

19. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Thanks for the quick response. I will not be able to attend the panel in person. :( I look forward to the video of the panel. Really psyched to learn more about Starships!

20. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

You really should go to the presentation on Saturday morning and demonstrate there. That would be infinitely more effective than making the occasional post here. :D

Me? If I were unhappy with the direction Firaxis was going in, I'd just play other games instead. I'm sure that it would be a lot more fun to do too than tilting at windmills. :lol: