Firaxis announces "Sid Meier's Starships"

Discussion in 'Starships' started by SupremacyKing2, Jan 19, 2015.

1. calad

calad Emperor

So another Civ5 beta game coming out. Sorry firaxi but after Civ5 and BE I dont see much future for this company because your products are not finnished nor challenging. Steam player numbers support this.

2. bladex

bladex Emperor

produced for ipad and crappily ported to pc :lol:

3. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Not for me. Tablets are the future of turn-based / 4X games. Multiplayer is much easier to do, and to do well. There's the potential for much more $, which means more/better development and support, which are the main criticisms people are voicing, so I'd think most people would welcome a huge influx of potential customers. I'm disappointed no Android though.

4. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

XCOM was known for being a pretty good game, no?

5. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

6. Superwide

Superwide Chieftain

dont like idea of flat maps in space, seems limiting to me

7. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

Fingers crossed that Sid Meier releases Starships much sooner than Russia's May Day or June 30th (conclusion of current P5+1 talks), because I plan to watch Terminator 5 (July 1st)! (=

8. jddods

jddods Prince

I looking forward to playing the game. It would be nice if there will be expansions for BE too. Both will get my $.

9. Rakshasa72

Rakshasa72 Warlord

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the game "FTL". If this is anywhere near as fun as that game:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Also for those complaining about Andriod vs IOs. Don't forget there are windows tablets too.

10. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

There was a screenshot of territory with 'naval tradition' written within it.

!!!

11. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

I think with more interest Firaxis might utilize programming sweatshops to add a Z axis dimension some day.

12. Gort

Gort Emperor

This looks nothing like FTL.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

*shrug* The bugs and support or lack thereof don't particularly bother me. It seems likely that the game will be simple, on the level of Civ Rev in the worst-case scenario.

I've never played it, so I don't have an opinion. I do know, though, that XCOM was built as a PC game and then remade and released for iPad. It was simple enough that you could do that fairly easily.

I understand that tablet gaming is the "wave of the future" or whatever, but my preference is for games like Civ III-IV-V, Total War, Rise of Nations, etc. You just can't get an experience like that on a tablet.

14. Callonia

Callonia Deity

I was tricked into buying civ:be. I don't know what i think about starships.

15. Rakshasa72

Rakshasa72 Warlord

Both games put you in "captain of a starship" role. Sounds like in Starships! you will be traveling from world to world performing missions just like in FTL. They may not look alike but, there are similarities in their basic concepts.

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Just curious, how exactly were you tricked into buying civ:be? I mean, we all had access to all the same "let's plays" that were released before the game which showed us almost the entire game from start to finish. Plus, there was a demo released.

17. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

It looked like it was attached to a planet. I think that may have been what the planet was researching.

18. Rakshasa72

Rakshasa72 Warlord

Either that or it's one of the perks for adding the planet to your Federation.

19. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

If you look at the screenshot, you will see that another planet has "reactive armor", another has "hyper launch" and another has "glide path", all with the same bright star icon above them. I agree that they seem to be the special perks that the planet gives you when they join your federation. "naval tradition" might give you some type of crew bonus, ""hyper launch" and "glide path" make me think of propulsion, so perhaps extra speed to your ships. Although, their specific bonuses are probably different since I doubt that it would make sense for two adjacent planets to both give you extra speed. "reactive armor" most likely gives you a buff to your armor.

20. edingess

edingess Warlord

When was there a public demo? I agree that I wasn't "tricked" per se into buying BE (as a matter of fact I was pumped) but we as gamers and consumers didn't know just HOW unfinished the game was. I will concede, we should have seen the combat animation glitch coming.:p