1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis civs as City-States

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by MadmanOfALeader, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Chieftain

So it seems like every civilization that's ever gotten big is getting made into a custom civ nowadays. While that is good to see, it does raise a big issue when it comes to city states, because there's probably only so many times you can substitute a civ whenever you promote a city-state to civilization status.

What I'd be interested in seeing is a mod that allows for the inclusion of city-states equivalent to Firaxis Civs whenever they are out-of-game. For example, a game with Mexico as a civ that doesn't have Spain could potentially have Madrid as a city-state (maybe Barcelona and Vitoria/Bilbao due to the independence movements as well). You could have M'banza-Kongo as a city state in one game and the Congo civilization in another.

I don't know if I explained it well, but I would like to see a mod like that so we could worry less about switching city-state names all the time in mods.

2. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

There's a goodly sufficient number of cities that can be used as city-states that have an incredibly negligible chance of becoming a civilization that we should be OK.

If I remember right, Firaxis made it so non-present civs wouldn't convert to city-states in games they weren't present in so people couldn't meta-game while finding out who their opponents are (e.g., I just ran across a Madrid city-state, so I won't have Spain as an opponent).

3. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Chieftain

I'm still a bit worried. My mind hearkens back to the days of Civ Gold where were over a hundred civs, including nations that couldn't be civs on their own so they were grouped together (AKA the West Indies and Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia as Gran Colombia).

4. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

We've got much more of an issue with modders stepping over each other and we end up with three Montevideos. We've got a pretty good list of unlikely-to-be-civs over in the New Civilizations thread. There's plenty of potential city-states to choose from and if need be, I'm sure we can find more.