Firaxis Executive Producer Caudill on "Sid's Way"

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
At a recent International Game Developers Association Leadership conference, Firaxis executive producer Barry Caudill delivered a speech on the defining characteristics and underlying philosophy of Firaxis' projects, including Sid Meier's role in guiding the design. Gamasutra has written an article explaining "Firaxis' Way," "Sid's Way," and what it's been like working under legend Sid Meier:

Sid's Way, the personal design ethic of Meier as an individual, is even more single-minded -- both literally and figuratively.

"There is absolutely no design document whatsoever" when it comes to Meier's work, Caudill said. "The game design document lives in Sid's brain. The publisher would say, 'Can we have the document?' and I'd say, 'Well, I'd have to chop Sid's head off.'"

As a result, Firaxis goes to great lengths to ensure the in-progress prototype is never broken, because when it is, it slows down Meier's ongoing design process, which proceeds at an uncommonly rapid pace.

"Sid absolutely works faster than anyone I've ever seen, anywhere," Caudill said.

>> Read the full article

I was just thinking: If Sid can only think about 1 thing at a time, and he is currently envolved in facebookciv, then Civ5 isnt even being thought of? Or has his dinosaur skills demoted him to facebook, and left civ5 to more competent people?

I thought Sid was a computer back from the days of programming in machine language the 6502, or was that the 8088, 8086 processors back in the days of the orginal Pirates! or was that F-15 Fighter or whatever the heck that game was, which I may still find around here. It was when Civ II came out that things really started to change, and well now - X-COM would be alright.

(Sid being a computer - I am just joking!)

Well, maybe not!
:lol:

I was just thinking: If Sid can only think about 1 thing at a time, and he is currently envolved in facebookciv, then Civ5 isnt even being thought of? Or has his dinosaur skills demoted him to facebook, and left civ5 to more competent people?
Classy. :shake:

Top Bottom