1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis Games is just trolling us now...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SxSnts9, Jul 9, 2018.

1. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Chieftain

If you follow Civilization on Facebook I'm sure you've seen their post from today about settling a canal city.

Any chance they are putting an actual canal wonder/improvement in next patch? Probably not...I think they are just trolling their fans as they know how badly this feature is wanted.

NOT COOL FIRAXIS!!!

MP | Moongazer likes this.
  2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

feel free to share the post. I haven't been on Facebook in years. I don't really need to feel bad about seeing other people with better lives than me, thanks.

Hawke9, Kjimmet, Slayan and 4 others like this.
  3. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Chieftain

4. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

You're just being trolled. It's "Canal City". Not a canal (district or improvement). :rolleyes:

5. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Funniest part about it is that it beautifully shows off how the UI lies to you. When they select the ship, the movement path doesn't show that it can make it past the city in the same turn. Then it moves across and still has move points left.

Olleus, Equilin, Kjimmet and 7 others like this.
  6. Leathaface

Leathaface Chieftain

I rarely build canal cities, I should build more. Though I do mainly play Pangea maps.

7. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Chieftain

Build them all the time but I prefer island plates. ;)

Reckoner likes this.
  8. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

I really don't see how they're trolling anyone, like I see they're just showing a tip for players? I'd think it's reasonable to think a lot of players don't know you can do things like this, but it could be so very useful to know, right? I'd totally love to have a canal improvement, I feel that'd be lovely, but I do also remember how excited I was that first time I learned you can build your city on an isthmus and move ships through! :)

King Rad likes this.
  9. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I don't think the UI lies, I just don't think the UI understands it.

I notice that if you have a unit in foreign territory you seem to be only able to move "one tile at a time" according to the UI, but you can move freely in general.

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think it's for the Reddit community. They are gaga for canal cities.

Weraptor, acluewithout and bite like this.
  11. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord

That raises the question of whether this only impacts the UI, or does it mess with the AI's movement plotting, too? Does the AI evaluate where it can move a unit to based on the same information presented to us through the movement preview, or does it use a completely different part of the code? My guess is a completely different part of the code and the UI movement preview was written by someone else entirely, but who knows.

12. sixty4half

sixty4half Chieftain

There are larger issues. They don't even move massive armies of cavalry more than 1 tile a turn. I'm playing the Poland Scenario right now, and I've got a line of Hussars guarding one of the weak AI allies. I've been told "The Golden Horde is Coming." And boy, do they look scary, but they don't advance in any meaningful way. Each unit, with a max move of 4, inches it's way, tile-by-tile, closer but never really threatening me.

13. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord

On the other hand, I've watched the AI wheel a Horseman and Pitati army around very fluidly, concentrating to destroy units, then turning and racing off to capture a walled city in a different direction.

That gets followed up in a new game with an attack where the AI's own Heavy Chariots block out Pitati from reaching optimal positions, the Pitati scatter their arrows in every direction without ever concentrating fire on vulnerable units, and let themselves be the ones to get picked off one at a time.

Very frustrating to see such differing results. That speaks to the challenge, I'm sure, of programming the AI to use the combat system efficiently.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The UI does lie on rare occasions, but its more common issues are omitting/hiding game rules and requiring thousands more user inputs/game to complete it than a competent UI would take to do the same things.

I do consider an abject disregard for end user experience to be a troll by Firaxis.

15. klail

klail Chieftain

I really don't get how this tip video is somehow a troll. Quite the opposite...

16. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Indeed I think some of my most liked posts over there have been of Canal cities

17. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

Make forts act like canals! Then they have something to do (and a decent chance you'd actually want to put a land military unit there as well)!

Tech Osen likes this.
  18. Weraptor

Weraptor Chieftain

Or a military engineer improvement

19. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

At least there would be finally a reason for me to use them.

20. klail

klail Chieftain

It would be nice if encampments would also act as canals.