1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis Games is just trolling us now...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SxSnts9, Jul 9, 2018.

1. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I really can’t get on board with canals. That you can do it with city placement seems just random. IRL there are only two canals worth speaking about. They are amazing feats of engineering, but I don’t see how Civ could ever represent that. Making canals districts or improvements would make them too common, and making a canal a wonder would make it too hard. And any canal in Civ is just not going to have the importance of Suez or Panama canals. Sorry, but I just don’t get it.

If Civ is going to have these sort of “mega structures”, it needs a bigger rethink. What about the Channel Tunnel? Hydro Electric Schemes, like the Three Gorges? Mountain passes. etc. These might or might not sound “cool”, but unless there is a more in-depth trade, travel or power system in the game, it’s just sort of window dressing.

To me, this stuff makes more sense in a game like EU4, where you have a more complex trade system complete with “trade nodes”. If Civ VI had a more complex trade system late game, then canals and railways and underground rail and all those things might grow out of that organically.

2. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Only two? That's like saying only the biggest roads count, in my opinion. When visiting the Netherlands I've seen plenty of canals that easily take the space of a whole district, meaning it would be a tile in game, between villages of 8000 people. Let alone the whole Grachten situation in Amsterdam and Utrecht (anywhere else too?).
    Making a canal wide enough to support Frigates is a different matter, but that could be a special project spanning multiple tiles.

3. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Fair enough. But I think a canal at the scale of one hex really only makes sense if it’s something like the Panama canal.

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

What about 1 tile bridges?
    Theres some pretty long bridges like the Akashi Kaikyo bridge in Japan linking islands and mainland nowadays.

5. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

I thought the same at first, but then I thought about how pastures, plantations, mines, and farms all take one tile, but in real life differ in sizes greatly. It's more a representation, and a canal can easily be the length of a few farms.

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Also some canals are more forgiving than others. Panama wouldn't be conceivable before relatively modern times, but Suez could have been constructed many hundreds of years earlier in principle. For the purposes of the game we can just make whatever terrain assumption at this level of abstraction.

7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Canals linking the Nile to the Red Sea were certainly built earlier.
    Various pharoahs are supposed to have attempted to build one. Darius had the work completed.

Saith King Darius: I am a Persian. Setting out from Persia, I conquered Egypt. I ordered this canal dug from the river called the Nile that flows in Egypt, to the sea that begins in Persia. When the canal had been dug as I ordered, ships went from Egypt through this canal to Persia, even as I intended.

— Darius Inscription

8. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

There is also the Corinth Canal, which has a long interesting history too wiki , although it is really only a tourist attraction now.

9. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

They should just make the Panama/Suez canal a world wonder with bonuses to trade

LoneDragon likes this.
  10. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

I think they should either be a district, or a Military Engineer improvement with a very restrictive set of placement rules. But they need to happen. Of course the 2 most famous are the Suez and Panama for making respective short cuts between the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean (via the Mediterranean and Red Seas) and the Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean. But there are many other useful canals (or canal systems) that allow other significant travel over water. For example, with the help of the St. Lawrence Seaway you can get some fairly large ships from the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes and travel 1,250 miles inland to Chicago!

11. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

What is the big deal about canals? It's not a game changer either way.

12. SaiH

SaiH Warlord

I don't know but I'd love to see canals, too. Maybe it's about the game's ambience. Forts and missile silos are not game changing improvements either but sometimes it's nice to have them.

13. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

They certainly can be especially on huge maps. It can cut down the time to go around a continent by 10-15 turns depending on terrain generation. That could easily be the difference between the navy arriving in time. Also, you could link the ocean system to a particularly large lake or inland sea. Getting ships (particularly frigates) in there can make a dig difference.

Also, for a canal to work properly in the trading system it would have to act as a harbor tile so that sea trade routes could move through it. While a harbor already does this, it wouldn't really make sense and it wouldn't be fun to build both a canal and a harbor just for the purposes of trade. It would make sense if you wanted to build ships because canals are typically not thought of as dry docks -- although I guess there's no reason a canal couldn't be a drydock. Drydocks are just small, incomplete (non-connected) canals when you really think of it.

14. klail

klail Chieftain

I like this idea a lot! Just make it so harbors can be built on land on a coast or adjacent to land and let ships enter it. Then, if you built a harbor on a canal spot, it would automatically act as a canal. And this would solve the trade route issues at the same time as you said.