[GS] Firaxis Livestream: Hungary Nov 29 11AM PT, 2PM ET

It's interesting they would pick Hungary to explain canals. Hungary doesn't really look like a naval power :lol:

I would have expected them to focus more on the World Congress, but let's see - maybe they will do both.

It's interesting they would pick Hungary to explain canals. Hungary doesn't really look like a naval power :lol:

I would have expected them to focus more on the World Congress, but let's see - maybe they will do both.

A lategame stream would probably reveal too much new stuff at this point.

The livestreams don't get nearly as much exposure as the FLs, so if I had to hazard I guess I would say that none of the new civs explicitly take advantage of canals, and it's a topic that won't be covered in later FLs. Later civs might also have more relevant mechanics to demonstrate that directly reflect their abilities (ie: bonuses from natural disasters or diplomacy), so since Hungary doesn't really utilize many new mechanics maybe it was a good pick to show off a feature that didn't fit elsewhere. Partnering a civ with no new mechanics to explain with a mechanic that no new civ uses, essentially.

Of course there's also the popular guess that China's updated abilities will involve canals, in which case there will be a civ that has a special ability regarding them--it just wouldn't be a new civ, so canals wouldn't get their own FL or corresponding livestream, hence partnering them with Hungary.

Hungary constructs an alternate route from the Med to the Black Sea. See it today on Civ 6.

I actually plan on something similar for the achievement. I plan on going from either the North Sea or Baltic sea to either the Black sea or Adriatic Sea on the Firaxis Earth map. There are a couple combinations that allow for 7 tiles long.

My guess is that they will split the livestream and do part of it with Hungary with one save game and then load a different save game to show off canals. They've done that sort of thing before to show off different features.

My guess is that they will split the livestream and do part of it with Hungary with one save game and then load a different save game to show off canals. They've done that sort of thing before to show off different features.

Smart thinking. If China really does have a new canal bonus, as some have proposed, perhaps Ed will use them to demonstrate it.

I'll bet the tie-in why they're doing canals and Hungary is because of the Hungary buff where districts across rivers build faster - maybe you can build out canals to speed up district building too.

Some question that we still have the chance to speculate upon - in a few hours we can't speculate anymore.
  • Any guesses when canals will unlock?
  • For which tech will the eureka be: build a canal?
  • Will the achievement be to build a 7 tile canal? (we might not know that tonight)
  • Will canal districts yield gold?
  • Do they have any adjacency yield?
  • Is there a movement penalty for moving onto/away from canal tiles?
  • Do canals give adjacency to other districts?
  • What's the bonus of the Panama Canal?
  • Is it possible to conquer cities by canal?
  • Era score for building canals?
  • Faster movement along canals?
  • Can canals be plundered? (can dams be plundered seems more interesting)
  • Is it possible to build a canal on a hill tile?

Last edited:
Some question that we still have the chance to speculate upon - in a few hours we can't speculate anymore.
  • For which tech will the eureka be: build a canal?
  • Will the achievement be to build a 7 tile canal? (we might not know that tonight)
  • Will canal districts yield gold?
  • Do they have any adjacency yield?
  • Is there a movement penalty for moving onto/away from canal tiles?
  • Do canals give adjacency to other districts?
  • What's the bonus of the Panama Canal?
  • Is it possible to conquer cities by canal?
  • Era score for building canals?
  • Faster movement along canals?
  • Can canals be plundered? (can dams be plundered seems more interesting)
  • Is it possible to build a canal on a hill tile?

Can you build ships in a city center tile if it's connected to the sea by a canal?
Can you build a harbor on a canal tile?

They said in the first stream that canals unlock in late classic.

It's probably gonna be pointless canal spam by the AI :S I'd be happy if each player could build 2 canals max.

It's probably gonna be pointless canal spam by the AI :S I'd be happy if each player could build 2 canals max.
If canals have no other benefit than letting ships cross, I don't think the AI will build a lot (nor will human players).

I just hope the AI does a check to see how many tiles are on each side of a possible canal, so the AI doesn't build coastal canals with 3 tiles on one side and a continent on another.
If this is the case, there will be a day two mod in which the AI doesn‘t build canals at all.

Top Bottom