1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Firaxis Livestream - Māori - December 6

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

. . . and hence why I turn off the chat.

Thanks loads.

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

It's already clear they know about the problems with the AI. It's not like people aren't saying it. They were clearly looking at the chat during the stream last week, and plenty of comments talked about improving the AI.

I see it as them not wanting to make promises about improving the AI because they may not be able to do it. With these complex mechanisms such as the Maori, it has to be getting more and more difficult to improve the AI. I would hope they give serious consideration to releasing the code and let modders have a crack at it. At this point I'm not sure if Firaxis is able to increase the AI capacity.

3. Bechhold

Bechhold Chieftain

Maybe this time Carl will actually build a Monument at the start of the game as well. Anything is a possible.

AntoineS and Zaarin like this.
  4. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

At 2PM-5PM Eastern Time I have an exam... better go back to studying I guess

5. Xur

Xur Chieftain

Sarah? Is that you?

/jk :) feels like they also have twitch chat turned off :D

6. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Chieftain

And don't forget, folks:

WATCH FOR THE GLOBE !

It should be our mantra for all the next livestreams. We've to see what civ's next. We've to see if we've cracked the code.

CivLuvah, Kimiimaro, nzcamel and 2 others like this.
  7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

They have to be really careful to clearly point to Mali, Eleanor, or Sweden though. Or Canada vs. Inca. I'm not sure it will help as much as it did last time.

nzcamel, WillowBrook and Zaarin like this.
  8. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

How is it clear? Firaxis has never said anything. There's multiple possible situations currently, some of which are:

(a) Firaxis has designed an AI that works exactly the way they want it to. They recognize that some players would like AI changes but there are some people who want changes to every aspect of the game, and Firaxis has designed an AI that works exactly the way they want it to.

(b) Firaxis intends to make incremental improvements to the AI's ability to pose a challenge in war and win a victory more quickly, and those changes will be worked into the development process to the extent other resources allow them to, but it's a low priority.

(c) Firaxis intends to finish the development of the game rules for Civ 6 completely, then invest significant resources in teaching the AI to be better at war and better at winning the game once the final game rules are complete.

(d) Firaxis is happy with the AI's ability to make war and is happy with the speed at which it wins the game, but intends to invest more resources into how the AI manages it's relationships with the player to make the diplomacy game more interesting and give each leader more of a unique personality.

You can probably add a half dozen other alternatives to this list.

The reality is we have no idea what Firaxis thinks of the current state of the AI or what their future intentions are. Until such time as they choose to share with us, we're in "wait and see" mode.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They should be able to zero it in fairly precisely by pivoting the globe about the base as well as the central axis.

Zaarin likes this.
  10. roulev

roulev Chieftain

Canada/Inca should not be too difficult, you can turn the Globe so that either the Northern or Southern hemisphere is most visible. Obviously, they also might turn it so all Americas shows up to make it more difficuly. Phoenicia/Ottomans and Sweden/Eleanor might be hard to guess though.

nzcamel likes this.
  11. Republic of San Montuoso

Yeah, but if they show America (Canada/Incas) or Africa (Mali/Ottomans) or Europe (Aliénor/Kristina) it will be then easier for us thanks to the sneak peak of Monday. If we were more aware of it the last time, we would'nt have such a controversy about Incas/Maori with the moutain/coast. We would have been sure it's Maori in this case.

We also have to be sure the code is cracked. 2 times could be coincidental ; 3 times, we could be pretty sure (except if they red us and decided to lead us in a wrong direction).

Guandao and Siptah like this.
  12. roulev

roulev Chieftain

It was so obvious (after the fact, of course), that it has to be deliberate. Now, obviously, they could decide not to do it, or deliberately mislead us. Who knows? Also, not everyone is aware of the leak, so the globe clue might be much less obvious without knowing what's coming.

nzcamel likes this.
  13. Republic of San Montuoso

So, remember :

WATCH FOR THE GLOBE !:lol::lol::lol:

Leathaface and roulev like this.
  14. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

If you're looking for UI questions you could ask them if they plan on ever adding a random map size option. That still irritates me - it's my default way to play Civ and has been in every incarnation except 6 (though I think it was added late in V, it was there by G&K).

Siptah likes this.
  15. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I think it boils down to what is more cost effective for Firaxis. The percentage of civ6 players who are hardcore and want a super AI is probably less than 5%. Just look at the percentage of civ players who win on deity. It's a tiny fraction of the player base. So why devote say 75% of your resources to improving the AI which only caters to 5% of your gaming population when you could devote 75% of your resources to adding new civs, new features etc that caters to the other 95%? The latter just makes more sense. Now, I am not saying that Firaxis does not care at all about the AI. They are obviously spending some time to build an AI that can handle the new game mechanics and making improvements to the AI as well. But Firaxis is just looking at how they can spend their resources in a way that improves the game for the most players. That's adding new civs, new gameplay mechanics, not necessarily building a super AI.

DefiantMars, Duuk, Zaarin and 3 others like this.
  16. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

I cannot see them doing a blog about the AI as much as people want them to. It will draw the attention of 95% of players who don't care about the AI by highlighting a flaw, and it will most definitely not satisfy the hardcore players, no matter what they say. I think "improving the AI" is too vague to have any meaning anymore. I'd rather they spend more time improving the internal challenges of the game that are not dependent on the AI (they do this a little bit with the natural disasters and global warming). But I acknowledge that at a minimum they should adopt the mods people have made that do improve the AI somewhat.

17. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I love the Maori music from the First Listen. And despite I don't favour most of the atomic themes, I'd love to hear the Maori atomic theme before the livestream :)

Zaarin and SammyKhalifa like this.
  18. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

All of you complaining but 11am Pacific is 5am local time here :)

nzcamel likes this.
  19. warpyg

warpyg Chieftain

Could be worse, imagine if it was at 2 or 3 am. This way you can wake up early and have a happy day afterwards! hehehe!

20. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

There are times between 1 AM and 11 AM? :eek: There are perks to freelancing... :p

Leyrann, bite and nzcamel like this.