1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Firaxis Livestream - Māori - December 6

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Sagax

Sagax Chieftain

Or they can just turn the globe to show Africa, Europe, and Asia Minor all at once (yes, it’s possible)

nzcamel likes this.
  2. Haig

Haig Warlord

Ok previous page had the perfect user picture + text combo :

"11am PT is a perfect 7pm for us Brits, so I can settle down to watch it with dinner. Splendid! :hatsoff:"

Potworny, Kjimmet, nzcamel and 6 others like this.
  3. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Playing the new Stellaris DLC while waiting for stream :scan:

Kinestic, Siptah and Kimiimaro like this.
  4. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

What a coincidence. I'm trying to finish my campaign in India before a new DLC will come in EU4 :p

5. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Lucky man, I'm afraid to start a new one since the patch might break the save and I'm too lazy to disable updates ;)

But tonight is reserved for the civ live stream anyway, the wife isn't at home, but Ledaig 18 is.

6. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

If I load it, then pause right away, can I watch about an hour and a half later (in case they don't post it quickly)?

7. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Chieftain

Wow I didn't know anyone could finish an EU campaign start to finish in under a week and a half.

8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

It's an old game started in the Mughals patch and Ironman was disabled by the Poland patch. I now have less then fifty years to play. I want to focus on industrialisation of Bharathi lands, conquering Jaunpur and Bengal (ally/vassal of Ottoman Empire. Luckily, I have my Persian friends for that, so I'm just waiting for the truce to end so they can start yet another war against them). My only trouble will be Shan, which also owns my claimed lands. It's ally of Lan Xang. The two are rather large countries, and both are tributaries of Ming, which has one of the biggest armies in the world. Luckily, I have the strongest in terms of quality :p I can't go around by attacking some ally of Shan to avoid fighting Ming, as they have no other ally than Lan Xang...

9. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Tai-Kadai peoples for the win!!!

ExtremeGardens likes this.
  10. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

That wasn't the original point I was disputing--this is:

If the Saka are one among many Scythian groups, then "Scythian Saka Horse Archer" is not the same as "Scythian Scythian Horse Archer". Rather, the Saka are a (more specific) subset of the Scythians, such that "Saka" doesn't mean the same as "Scythian" just as "Mangudai" doesn't just mean "Mongolian" even if the Mangghud can be counted among the Mongolian people. So no, the "Saka" are not just "Scythian" especially in the modern understanding (for it was ancient peoples like the Persians who conflated the Saka with the Scythians).

The page I linked specifically talked about Herodotus, Strabo and others, and didn't contain a map. Namely, the page I linked to was this one: http://zoroastrianheritage.blogspot.com/2015/07/herodotus-references-to-saka.html?m=1 You will have to be more specific about the offensive religion/political angle. I suspect you are alluding to the reference to Eurocentrists and racists among certain modern historians. The use of such terms may be provocative, but that doesn't necessarily mean the points made in the blog post are wrong (in fact they are quite specific with reference to the parlance used by certain scholars), and furthermore that is not what the central textual analysis of ancient mentions of the Saka rests on in that page (as to Herodotus, Pliny, and others). Nothing you have provided counters the analysis there.

As the page in question has specific citations and analysis, I will trust this page (and Wikipedia's) over any weird conclusory statements arguments that somehow the Saka and Scythians are exactly the same and thus redundant. They aren't. Even if the Saka can be counted among a larger Scythian group.

So no, a Scythian Saka Horse Archer is not redundant (ala "Scythian Scythian Horse Archer"), even if the Saka could be counted among the larger Scythian people's. In much the same way, nor is "Mongolian Mangudai" the same as "Mongolian Mongolian", even if the Mangghud could be counted among the Mongolians.

To put it more simply, let's say you have a "strawberry fruit tart". This is not the same as the phrase "fruit fruit tart", even if a strawberry is a type of fruit and a strawberry fruit tart is a fruit tart with fruit in it. :p

A better argument that there is weird redundancy can be made for the "Black Army Army" of Hungary.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Guandao likes this.
  11. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

But I was told that Scythian is basically just archer, and the units were effectively archer archer horse archers :crazyeye:

Kjimmet, Kimiimaro, Siptah and 3 others like this.
  12. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Lol, indeed. ;)

13. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

The music has started.

It's the Maori theme. Industrial version, I'd say.

And Sarah said something, too.

14. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

You all talking about Stellaris and I'm still busy with Battle Bros.

Siptah likes this.
  15. Guandao

Maori themes!

16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

The music is playing!
    Edit: ninja'd! You all are fast!

nzcamel likes this.
  17. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

I'm ready.

Leathaface, WillowBrook and nzcamel like this.
  18. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Allright, it was amazing. The Maori singing and a nice instrumentation... I can't wait to hear it full once the game's coming out.

Australian atomic theme now.

19. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Fingers crossed for Norway being in the game and having a rework. Bar that, maybe Australia is in and they will talk about the Australian rework.

Siptah likes this.
  20. Guandao

Australian theme...sounding a bit strange

nzcamel likes this.