[GS] Firaxis Livestream - Māori - December 6

Beautiful music :love:

Australian theme...sounding a bit strange

The Aussies are so in (to show their proper colours); and they're guna get their beans from the Toa!!

Okay well the Aussie is now awake, so we can all start

That wasn't the original point I was disputing--this is:

If the Saka are one among many Scythian groups, then "Scythian Saka Horse Archer" is not the same as "Scythian Scythian Horse Archer". Rather, the Saka are a (more specific) subset of the Scythians, such that "Saka" doesn't mean the same as "Scythian" just as "Mangudai" doesn't just mean "Mongolian" even if the Mangghud can be counted among the Mongolian people. So no, the "Saka" are not just "Scythian" especially in the modern understanding (for it was ancient peoples like the Persians who conflated the Saka with the Scythians).

You will have to be more specific about the offensive religion/racial angle. The page I linked specifically talked about Herodotus, Strabo and others, and didn't contain a map. Namely, the page I linked to was this one: http://zoroastrianheritage.blogspot.com/2015/07/herodotus-references-to-saka.html?m=1

As it has specific citations and analysis, I will trust this page (and Wikipedia's) over any weird conclusory statements arguments that somehow the Saka and Scythians are exactly the same and thus redundant. They aren't. Even if the Saka can be counted among a larger Scythian group.

So no, a Scythian Saka Horse Archer is not redundant (ala "Scythian Scythian Horse Archer"). Nor is "Mongolian Mangudai" the same as "Mongolian Mongolian".

A better argument that there is weird redundancy can be made for the "Black Army Army" of Hungary.
I think an easy to comprehend analogue to Scythian Saka Horse Archer for everyone is Celtic Gaulic Warrior.

It's not my job to change in what you trust and what not, but I'd recommend, as always to you, to read a book about the topic if your interested in it, instead of wasting time learning from such dubious sites* :p I'm way too lazy for argumentations and for pointing out the heavy bias of your link's research or it's strange way of using and discarding primary sources, when I can just refer you to reading a book and make conclusory statements. Especially when really any book on Scythia would probably do in such a case. I can and would probably look for citations if there would be something specific to look at, but we are still at a rather superficial level here, where it doesn't make much sense imho. You are, as always, invited to just ignore posts like this if you want to and stick to what you believe in. It isn't supposed to be a history forum anyway.

Also note that I never said that Saka and Scythians are the same people, I rather said the opposite (quite clearly at least two times in the above post I think) and we share that point of view, actually. Maybe my analogy above helps understanding this: it's basically a huge multiethnic culture that extends over wast lands and ~1500 years ("modern" Scythia), including a large culture and ethnicity ("modern" Saka) that itself consists of (probably hundreds of) tribes.

Peace offer: I actually looked something I had in my mind up in an outdated book. I remembered that Scythian as umbrella culture (while used by the Romans for everyone in eastwards of the Rhine in the end) wasn't always used as it is now in archeology. Back in the middle of the 20th century there was different name coined for this multiethnic culture: Scythian Sakian Horizon (well, Skytischsakischer Horizont, actually since it is in German). Should be good enough and the "Saka aren't Scythians" as well as the "Shaka are Scythians" are made clear if you understand that this Scythian Sakan Horizon is nowadays called Scythia.

*just to be clear: I read what the page you link refers to "our research" in the text as proof why the Saka aren't Scythians, which is the page I linked in the above post.

Edit: and now, off to the stream!

When will we see the globe? Will they change the glove during the stream to mess with us?

It begins

Globe hasn't been changed haha

Top Bottom