Firaxis Livestream tomorrow! Gorgo leads Greece

Thanks for the explanation. So presumably waiting until the first unit has definitely finished its movement should take care of the problem temporarily, until the devs take action to prevent the delay. Seems more like a nuisance than a major problem.

That's my hope, we don't know for sure because all the LPers are compulsive "next unit"-clickers lol

Doesn't that annoyance also happen in Civ V? It would be nice if they fixed it, otherwise we'll just have to train ourselves to be more patient :p.

So presumably waiting until the first unit has definitely finished its movement should take care of the problem temporarily, until the devs take action to prevent the delay. Seems more like a nuisance than a major problem.

The rule of thumb would be to wait until the game actually cycles you to the next unit. But that can be annoying when, say, you're in the middle of a war. You've got these 6 units taking down a city, and the game cycles you to a Builder halfway across the map. It's a lot more natural to want to click on the other military units and finish the round of military action before you turn your attention back to the Builder.

And when you're used to always waiting, then you'll frequently run into times when you wait, and you go "um?" then "oh" because there's no more units awaiting orders. That is not a good feeling.

For the sake of smooth gameplay, a satisfying experience, that unit auto-cycle really needs to become an option rather than the rule. Although an even better way to fix the problem is to have auto-cycle skip its action the moment the player engages in certain actions like:
  • Panning the map: I am trying to see something, that's why I'm panning the map. Don't cycle to next unit and take control away from me.
  • Clicking on a unit: I am clicking on a unit because I want to issue an order or see its status. Don't cycle to next unit and take control away.
  • Clicking on a city: same as above.
Basically when I become "active", my actions should take absolute precedence and I should be the one hijacking the system actions. The system needs to defer to user action.

it also impacts multiplayer not having control over the right units at the right time

One positive thing I'll say about the AI behavior in this stream is that the AI actually had a respectable amount of military units for a change. Rome was either crushing barbarians, planning an invasion, or just riding the AI bonus train and had a decent-sized warrior blob..
It was the AI bonus train. Despite a turn 10 second city and a turn 18 settler they had... 10ish units around turn 20? Its riding the mindless bonuses really hard.

On the autocycle- the other part of the problems seems to be the lack of a 'wait' hotkey for units (not skip turn, but passing a unit to the back of the queue because you want to deal with its action later)

It was the AI bonus train. Despite a turn 10 second city and a turn 18 settler they had... 10ish units around turn 20? Its riding the mindless bonuses really hard.

On the autocycle- the other part of the problems seems to be the lack of a 'wait' hotkey for units (not skip turn, but passing a unit to the back of the queue because you want to deal with its action later)

Dont forget they were playing on quick speed.

one quick question about that actually dont they mention that all the videos so far have been on quick speed. if so the quick tech progression and easy eueka bounuses could not really be an issue

Dont forget they were playing on quick speed.

one quick question about that actually dont they mention that all the videos so far have been on quick speed. if so the quick tech progression and easy eueka bounuses could not really be an issue
Most of the LP were on standard. Also, getting eurekas on quick is actually harder, since many of them require exploration or combat.

i think the fix for the autocycle should be: the nearest idle (not defending,sleeping or healing) unit from the last commanded unit should be next in the cycle.

Overall, I think that the stream was terribly dissapointing. The AI looks unchanged since the preview build and according to Ed Beach they haven't resolved the fact that random players could lead to have 2 Greece in the same gameplay. You gotta be kidding me...They could not implement an option in Advanced Start to avoid the situation?

...according to Ed Beach they haven't resolved the fact that random players could lead to have 2 Greece in the same gameplay. You gotta be kidding me...They could not implement an option in Advanced Start to avoid the situation?
Yeah, that's just dumb. He was talking about ways for the player to sort of decide which civs can appear, but then still have it random. Yeah that's great that you're working on that, but I don't need it. I just want a button that prevents the same civilization from being in the game twice. Not sure what to do with my first playthrough now. I don't want to select the civs I'll be playing against, but if my first game as two Greeces in it, that would really suck.

If Greece & Greece are both in the game then I am fine with that
ESPECIALLY if they are both adjacent to each other to provide for a little historical flavor. :D

Better yet if they are REQUIRED to be adjacent.

I would like a checkbox "Unique Civs" or so for game start so that each Civ can only appear once not twice with different leaders.

It will be completely unacceptable if there is NOT a switch to disable unit auto-cycle when the game releases. I was hoping after everyone having years and years of being camera panned all over the map that they would fix this annoyance with SMART unit cycling, but to make it worse by locking you into STUPID unit cycling is really really lame.

Combat is all about logistics and if you cannot easily move units in the correct order I may have to go back to Civ V.

It will be completely unacceptable if there is NOT a switch to disable unit auto-cycle when the game releases. I was hoping after everyone having years and years of being camera panned all over the map that they would fix this annoyance with SMART unit cycling, but to make it worse by locking you into STUPID unit cycling is really really lame.

Combat is all about logistics and if you cannot easily move units in the correct order I may have to go back to Civ V.
I'd love if there was an advanced option to set our own unit cycling priority - in Civ V I constantly wanted to just do my bombers first and the cycling made that a bit harder. Not much, just a bit. Alas, well, maybe a mod or patch or expansion... but most likely never.

We need an option to turn autocycle off for sure. Drew Dernil, among others, has requested this, and I think everyone can remember how annoying it was to have your screen fly all the way over buildings, terrain, wonders and three civilizations to the LAST unit that you had resting last turn. Civ IV was more sensible and let you ignore unit moves if need be.

They should do something ala Heroes of Might and Magic III--give the player a warning that if they press "End turn", then some units may miss their movement.

Or just handle it like production, a little notification that some units still have movement...click on this to select a random one....but click on whatever you want in the meantime.

In that stream I mostly learned that you don't bring Hoplites if your opponent has warriors (warriors get +10 against hoplites/spearmen). Should have just brought archers and warriors that are cheap to make.

That was kind of awkward to show AI emperor that way. Well at least it makes units and cities so that is reassuring.

Last edited:
In that stream I mostly learned that you don't bring Hoplites if your opponent has warriors (warriors get +10 against hoplites/spearmen). Should have just brought archers and warriors that are cheap to make.

Yeah but at least we saw Gorgo get culture from killing some scouts, lol

little citizens going around the city hanging up pictures of their army murdering some scouts

That was kind of awkward to show AI emperor that way.
Yeah, but you're a much better civ player than any of the developers probably are :lol: And probably quite a few players here are.
That's one of the issues with designing a competent AI : developers are generally not top players so how can they teach the AI, with all it's unavoidable limits, to stand against top players even on high difficulty. So they just throw tons of bonuses while increasing it's grow flavor and telling it to use those scientist slots already goes a huge way towards making it much better with lower bonuses as you showed with your mod.

I would like a checkbox "Unique Civs" or so for game start so that each Civ can only appear once not twice with different leaders.
This is all I want too. Really simple. Sure now it's not a big deal now, but when they release a bunch of leader packs and all the sudden it's happening every other game, it won't be as fun.

Top Bottom