1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis never focus on multiplayer - get used to it

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Ermak-, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Ermak-

Ermak- Prince

The game was designed with single player in mind. Muiltiplayer is an afterthought. They never mentioned that to be their focus at all- not even in recent patches. Just read about all the fuss with the AI problems, they couln't even get single player right. Do you really thingk they care about imbalances and frozen launches in multiplayer? They got you to pay- that's it, now go cry on the forums.

2. Crdnl Richelieu

Crdnl Richelieu Warlord

Merry Christmas to you too.

Civ 4 multiplayer was bugged as hell to begin with. It took a long time to fix but they got there in the end.

Personally, I find Civ 5 multiplayer to be okay - a few crashes although it seems to reload automaitcally (albeit taking an epoch to do so). However, I only play LAN games.

3. swordspider

swordspider Dread Multiplayer

It's all about cash people and you ponied up yours. Ermak is right, your only recourse is to cry. Sorry.

4. Ermak-

Ermak- Prince

civ multiplayer never got fixed. People constantly fcrashed games with unlimited pauses when theyare loosing.

5. ipris

ipris Warlord

i actually really like this game (especially post patch), but the multiplayer design was just horrible. beyond belief really.

6. Bernout1

Bernout1 Warlord

Well, I played a ton of Pitboss MP games but if you tried to get more than 4 or so people online at once then it was glitchy at best. So technically they got a decent MP in place eventually but even it wasn't perfect. That peer to peer networking model was awful.

I don't know why they don't go the route of Civ 2 NET and give us a seperate polished MP release. I'd be willing to pay extra for that.

Bernout

7. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

This game is great in multiplayer. I understand people hate single player with bad AIs not understanding the great new concepts like 1UPT combat, but playing this game vs humans; oh my God -The best Civ experience ever. But there is one thing ruining it all. Disasterous mp stability....... They really should focus on multiplayer because it's in multiplayer Civ5 shines the most, with no doubt. Single player is boring like hell.

8. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

OMFG yes. 100% agree.

9. Deussu

Deussu The Omniscient

It's intriguing, because focusing in multiplayer would increase the game's "life expectancy".

But yes, I've had a ton of fun with MP regardless of everything. And I've had 6 player MPs with only rare crashes. Has worked very well.

10. KonstantinDK

KonstantinDK Chieftain

How many ppl you see in online room? Not much. They don't get much cash from those. So why spend lots of resources on that?

11. Bernout1

Bernout1 Warlord

:) There's a reason there's not a lot of people in the online room. I tried it once and haven't been back. I fully believe the OP though...the emphasis on Civ has always been in SP.

I'm not sure if MP would bring in new buyers as well as say SP mods but throw in both of those and you have to be maximizing the user base.

Bernout

12. Deussu

Deussu The Omniscient

About 3 months ago there were always at least a dozen online rooms. In December it had all died down though, thanks to Firaxis' neglectance over multiplayer features.

It's a shame really.

13. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

The Civplayers Steam Chat is still active and games are still played despite Firaxis not fixing MP yet. The links are in my sig, come and check us out, it is even more important now than ever to gather all MPers in one place to get games going.

CS

14. Stretchy Man

Stretchy Man Chieftain

Civ 4 was designed from the beginning for multiplayer in mind. This makes sense when you think about it. Until the programmers finished the AI, the game still needs to be played and tested with no AI (a multiplayer). Multiplayer is not a feature you can simply take on at the end. Looks to me that Jon Shafter never understood this.

15. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

Great? what game are you playing? Lack of map customization, crashes, lack of MP mods, no custom maps, no animations. Civ V is terrible... And yes I am a MP, I never play single player and MP is completely worthless so that makes CIV V worthless.

16. Smote

Smote Emperor

And yet its still fun, despite all this. So its certainly not worthless, just sometimes frustrating.

17. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

I agree despite the issues the game is still fun in MP.

CS

18. bossconian

bossconian Warlord

HAHAHA - Ermak - what a discovery.

Read my post i wrote quite a while before they released this cr.p.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=376622

Also - it is good to see you Canuck coming back to civ IV lobby. If ciV multi is fun then CIV IV multi is just ograsmic.

19. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

I try and visit all three lobbies of the games that CivPlayers supports, I don't always get time every day, but since I'm the owner of the league the players of the games I don't play very much still have the right to expect that I stop in and see how things are going and if there are any issues I can help solve.

CS

20. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

Actually, I read somewhere either in an interview or designer diary or something where they talk about how Civ5 is the most multiplayer focused Civ ever and that was one of the benefits of having it on Steam. Instead, it's the worst multiplayer Civ ever. I never had a problem with Civ3 or Civ4 multiplayer. Maybe it's a difference between playing LAN with friends or online with strangers. Either way, it shouldn't be too much to ask for a stable, fully-featured multiplayer. Multiplayer should be a singleplayer quality experience only with humans replacing the AI.