Firaxis PAX East Panel/BE announcement video now available!

That was a really interesting watch. They articulated a lot of the ideas of the game very well. Makes me even more excited!

Seriously great watch. Really reaffirms my faith in the developers.

Here's the troop upgrade image from the presentation:

According to Lena (the producer), the first two images on the left are generic Level 1 and Level 2 troops (these are the two types seen in the screenshots). The two on the right are Purity-specific level 3 and level 4 upgrades.

They refer to the ARC as the "American Reclamation Corporatocracy"

The way they presented the Pan Asian Cooperative (or whatever) and Daoming Sochua suggested that the leaders are bound to their factions.

I wish they delved into other in-game sponsor other than just the Pan-Asian Cooperative and the American Reclamation Corporatocracy.

Icons for each affinity around the 23 minute mark. I'd post it but I'm watching it on a different device

The Icon for Supremacy resembles a Squid Beak.

They're probably going to tease them out like they normally do civs...

Well in the video they did say that they were willing to tease a few others but they only got around to ARC and PAC. I guess it wouldn't hurt asking on twitter - I mean, we know Mr. Miller responds:

Spoiler :

Quest rewards, or possibly just the quests themselves, are possibly random (31:20)? You can't "game them" in any case.

Mechanically, the quests are designed to get the player to interact with the game's various systems.

Great video, god I'm excited for this now.

I love the Affinity logos and the soft, neutral tones that go with them. I kind of wish the Supremacy logo was a little neater than it is but no matter.

One of the things I'm kind of interested in now is the quest system; I think I was more initially wowed by the ideologies than anything else. I remember in Civ IV BtS there were random events and sometimes quests. Some of them were kind of flat: "a hurricane has destroyed your mine", while others lent themselves more to the imagination. The specific memory I have of that system really influencing a game was one where I was tasked with building 8 triremes. Had the quest not come along I probably would have built none. Instead I worked for it and achieved the 8 triremes and got a naval combat bonus. What was more important than the bonus was that it changed the fiction of my game...I was no longer just playing a random civilization, I was playing a civ that made sacrifices to become a naval powerhouse.

I hope the quests in this game feed that same imaginative impulse to create a narrative around your game. My concern is that because there is an actual body of fiction surrounding the world rather than fact, the quests would be too much like a linear drip feed of information.

I love the Affinity logos and the soft, neutral tones that go with them. I kind of wish the Supremacy logo was a little neater than it is but no matter.
I can't help but think that Supremacy and Purity would look better turned upside down. Supremacy would look more like a pyramid, symbolising (digital) ascension. Purity would look like a floating monolithic thing, which embodies the "floating fortress" and "worship humanity" vibes they give off.

I'd love to hear the designers talk about how, artistically, they came to choose those specific logos.

My opinion is that all three logos have a common theme: land.

Harmony's logo looks very much to me like a seed. Something that contains life and will grow when planted in the land and nurtured. The swirl in the middle is natural but complex, it's about understanding.

Supremacy's logo looks like it is doing it's best to not touch the land at all. Only the point of the triangle is facing down towards land. The triangular shapes are an arrangement of straight lines representing order/structure/technology. The other two points of the triangle go up and in different directions: the further we are from land/nature/organic life, the more possibilities we have.

Purity to me looks like a spire or tower embedded in the ground and protected from all sides by a prism. To me it's about protection/preservation. Within this prism we will live as we have always lived.

Did my best to not sound like a pretentious douchebag there but probably failed :crazyeye:

Harmony's logo looks very much to me like a seed. Something that contains life and will grow when planted in the land and nurtured. The swirl in the middle is natural but complex, it's about understanding.

My take away from the Harmony logo was that the swirl reminded me of Yin and Yang minus the circles (or the Aes Sedai logo from The Wheel of Time).

Am I the only one that sees these Affinities really similar to Starcraft races:

Purity = Terran
Harmony = Zerg
Supremacy = Protoss

Am I the only one that sees these Affinities really similar to Starcraft races:

Purity = Terran
Harmony = Zerg
Supremacy = Protoss

Looks close, but supremacy (cybernetics) is not too similar to protoss with their religion and mysticism. These traits are closer to harmony.

Actually, if you try to define 3 paths for sci-fi civilizations, you'll come to more or less the same things.

From a non-game-oriented point of view, it's always good to see a motivated and energized development team working on this.

I'd know it's "bad news for Civ" if we saw a bunch of development guys and girls who look like they don't want to be there. This isn't the case here at least.

Top Bottom