Firaxis, please bring the Fractal map script back

ColdFever

blue
It looks like the classic Fractal map script has been removed from CivBE.
For example see this Firaxis video at position 28:25:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx-AyF8RCgo

The map is the foundation of every Civ game and its attractivity is crucial. Fractal maps guarantee unpredictable and plausible maps and a unique playing experience each time you start a new game. Therefore, Fractal is the most popular map script among the Civ hardcore players I know.

I understand that different DLC map types (see preorder bonus) are financially attractive. But the overall attractivity of the game is even more important. Especially for unpredictable planets, players will want really unpredictable maps. I personally cannot imagine myself playing any Civ game for months without Fractal maps available.

Firaxis, please bring the Fractal map script back.

Taigan could be a new name for fractal.
Unfortunately this is not the case.
"Taigan" stems from "Taiga", this is as snow world.
"Atlantean" is a world of small islands.
"Archipelagos" is a world with big islands.
"Equatorial" is a world with a large equator zone.
"Protean" is a kind of Pangaea map with a big land mass surrounded by islands.
"Terran" is an earth-like map.
"Skirmish" is a balanced map for multiplayer.

These seven map types are used to generate new planets
in the Planet selection screen.

Confirmed today by the first German Let's Play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dV_pjcs2zE

No Fractal maps...
:( :( :(

Firaxis, please bringt Fractal maps back. You could call it
"Fractal" - Irregular and unpredictable world.

Chill....

Its early footage. Its likely the map generators are exactly the same as the Civ5 ones, so its almost guaranteed to be there on release date.

While I fully agree that Fractal is the ONLY map to play unless I'm doing gimmick games, I feel that y'all are freaking out just a bit too much. You know that there's going to be a mod for one, either in the steam workshop or out, within a week if it's not included. It'd be faster but I'm pretty sure the modders will want to play a couple games themselves before they do any serious work on modding.

Honestly I'd prefer outside of the steam workshop because if BE is anything like CiV, then I can add the map script to the map folder manually without triggering BE/Steam going "You're using a mod!" and turning off achievements, or more importantly: making me re-load the game just for that one map script.

I'd rather have the game released with map scripts that work than not. I'm guessing it is out because they don't have time (yet) to make it work with the different biomes and all.

What happened to the Vulcan map type? That was mentioned early on.

It's not "early". One month from release, the game is as good as finished. At this late point, all features have to be in for final testing. And it looks like Fractal is gone. :(

Fractal map pack dlc 4.99$!

OK I hope not. It just feels off that the best map type isn't available.

The map is the foundation of every Civ game and its attractivity is crucial.

I've played every Civ game since 1, and I can't remember ever using the fractal map type.

I guess I'm not a "real" Civ player.

I've played every Civ game since 1, and I can't remember ever using the fractal map type.

I guess I'm not a "real" Civ player.

Same here. Throughout the long time I've played cIV and CiV, I can't recall ever using Fractal, except maybe once as Japan around the time I first started playing.

I can't remember ever using the fractal map type.
Then you missed a lot of fun.

I suggest trying a Civ5 game with
- a fractal map
- the same number of Civs and City States.

Suggestions for Civ5:
Great PC: Fractal map, huge size, 16 Civs and 16 City States
Good PC: Fractal map, large size, 12 Civs and 12 City States
Average PC: Fractal map, standard size, 10 Civs and 10 City States
Weak PC: Fractal map, small size, 8 Civs and 8 City States

These settings make Civ5 shine.
You may find an entirely new Civ5 experience.

I've played fractal maps in Civ V and can't see what all the fuss is about, sorry.

Then you missed a lot of fun.
You may find an entirely new Civ5 experience.

Quite possibly, but it's rather arrogant to claim that fractal maps are the "foundation" of Civ games when there are many players who play and enjoy Civ without ever touching fractal maps.

it's rather arrogant to claim that fractal maps are the "foundation" of Civ games
Nowhere did I write this.
I wrote "the map is the foundation of every Civ game".

Sorry if my limited English may not be precise enough for your understanding.
Perhaps this is better: Maps are the foundation of Civ games.

In other words: The more varied the maps, the more varied the games.
And fractal maps are the maps with the most variations.

The German letsplayer explicitely said that there are 7 maps "currently" available. Sounds almost like they expect more to be available in the final version.

Locking certain mapscripts is a very plausible and easy way to avoid non-representative, unattractive gameplay/screenshots/video outtakes. The fractal mapscript might not look that good (yet) with the ne terrein features or may not be tested sufficiently yet.

The German letsplayer explicitely said that there are 7 maps currently available. Sounds almost like they expect more to be available in the final version.
The German previewers says this, because they have only the 7 basic maps scripts.
The 6 preorder exoplanet map scripts are not available in their preview version.

Overall, Firaxis has 13 map scripts in the Firaxis video at position 28:25.
7 built-in map scripts
6 preorder map scripts (see Steam description)

7 Built-in map scripts
  • Atlantean is a world of small islands.
  • Archipelagos is a world with big islands.
  • Equatorial is a world with a large equator zone.
  • Protean is a kind of Pangaea map with a big land mass surrounded by islands.
  • Taigan stems from Taiga, this is as snow world.
  • Terran is an earth-like map.
  • Skirmish is a balanced map for multiplayer.
6 Preorder map scripts
  • Kepler 186f: This lush forest planet is one of the oldest known Earth-like planets.
  • Rigil Khantoris Bb: Orbiting the closest star to the solar system, the historical records of this arid continental planet’s settlement are well-preserved.
  • Tau Ceti d: This planet of seas and archipelagos features a booming biodiversity and a wealth of resources.
  • Mu Arae f: Tidally locked in orbit around a weak star, the southern hemisphere of this planet is a blistering desert where the sun never sets, while the northern hemisphere is perpetually in frozen darkness.
  • 82 Eridani e An alien world of scarce water and wracked by tectonic forces.
  • Eta Vulpeculae b: A mysterious new discovery with unknown terrain.
"Fractal" is not among them. :(

Perhaps the last preorder map "Eta Vulpeculae b" is the fractal map script?
This could make preordering a must for many.

Can a Firaxis member tell us something about this, please?

Aspects of the algorithms that generate the Fractal maps have been incorporated into all the map scrips.

I will ask if any of the preorder map scripts are specifically based off the Civ V Fractal algorithm, but I don't have an answer to that now.

Top Bottom