Firaxis, please tell us truth about the patch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zx1111

Warlord
Now, it become clear that the patch will not arrive any time soon,
And it is very unclear that there will be any patch, if any, before the Warlord expansion.
So Firaxis, please tell us what has happend to the patch exactly as of today.

And Please, please, tell us the real fact, frankly. It is time for you to tell us the truth.

Don't tell us a lie again like "It is in the hand of publisher's QA" or "It will be released very soon / in a couple of weeks", "We are working on it to make it better and bug free, please be patient...", "Cheque is in the mail...." bla bla bla .... to give us an illusion or false hope about patch that it may be just around the corner....
We are fed up already long times ago and repeatedly enough with such an shameless lies of you. We are now wiser than being fooled twice and blame on ourselves.

I will not surprised or nor blame on you even if you decided to scrap the patch altogather. May be little disappointed but much much better than to waste time waiting endlessly in false hope of coming patch.
I think it may be fortunate thing for future of the Civ4, because, it will help you to concentrate your efforts on the coming expansion. So please be honest. Actually now I don't give a damn on the patch or original Civ 4 anymore... I almost abandoned fanitest hope on them. It is dead horse to me.

So, I beg you, Firaxis, tell us the truth, and the truth only...

Oh, the drama.

It will be out soon enough I'm sure. It is disapointing that whenever I go to the civ4 forums they are filled with complains though. :sad:

diablodelmar said:
Who cares... Just enjoy the game!
I also wish to "just enjoy" the game, but I can't do it with current version of Civ 4... too much CTD and lock ups..
I am nealy end of my wit and running out of last drop of my patience and determination, inching toward the last straw....
So I should decide now that I should foget this game for a time being from now and uninstall it completely...
Or continue the struggle with CTD and hang on it further waiting for Godot to show up...

Meleager said:
Oh, the drama.

It will be out soon enough I'm sure. It is disapointing that whenever I go to the civ4 forums they are filled with complains though. :sad:
I think, you have the marked sentence already on a hotkey? Must be really boring to type it each day for months now...

Commander Bello said:
I think, you have the marked sentence already on a hotkey? Must be really boring to type it each day for months now...
It musn't get much use then seeing as this is the first time I have posted it.

zx1111 said:
I also wish to "just enjoy" the game, but I can't do it with current version of Civ 4... too much CTD and lock ups..
I am nealy end of my wit and running out of last drop of my patience and determination, inching toward the last straw....
So I should decide now that I should foget this game for a time being from now and uninstall it completely...
Or continue the struggle with CTD and hang on it further waiting for Godot to show up...

I wouldn't hold my breath on a patch fixing your CTD and lock ups. In my experience with pretty much ANY game those are caused by the customer side. So you have to either find the problem and solve it or upgrade your machine.

onedreamer said:
I wouldn't hold my breath on a patch fixing your CTD and lock ups. In my experience with pretty much ANY game those are caused by the customer side. So you have to either find the problem and solve it or upgrade your machine.
I have not a few games installed in my computer other than Civ4.. Some works nearly flawlessly and some, not so smooth as I would like to be.
But none crash to desktop or lock up ( except very very rarely) like Civ4.
Civ 4 is most cranky application in my whole machine. My machine exceeds the recommended specs of Civ 4 by factor of two in nealy all aspects.
My machine can run more demending games like FPS game and other bigger and complex 3D games like WOW quite comfortablely except occasional sluggish moment. No CTD in any case....
Firaxis can not blame on my gear.

I hope this patch will come out soon including the SDK because the packing of the game states that the SDK is included and next to it an impudently tiny mark leads to a more tiny promiss, that a download of the SDK will be available at the beginning of 2006.

zx1111 said:

The patch that will fix Civ4 forever can be found here http://www.galciv2.com/ . I installed it and it solved all my problem with Civ4. Jokes aside, I gave up on Civ4 and uninstalled it from my PC. I'll give the patch a try if it will be ever released, but for now GC2 it's THE game. Try the demo and you won't regret it.

zx1111 said:
I have not a few games installed in my computer other than Civ4.. Some works nearly flawlessly and some, not so smooth as I would like to be.
Civ 4 is most cranky application in my whole machine. My machine exceeds the recommended specs of Civ 4 by factor of two in nealy all aspects.
My machine can run more demending games like FPS game and other bigger and complex 3D games like WOW quite comfortablely except occasional sluggish moment. No CTD in any case....

I can understand your frustration but I can run it on two different computers. One with 1 GB ram and a nvidia card and the other one is my notebook with 512 MB ram and only the integrated intel graphic chipset. Both run with Windows XP and directx 9.0c.
The crash to desktop or lock up must be graphics or sound drivers or a part of your computer otherwise my CIV should do the same. But as I follow the design of Microsoft from NT 3.51 (very good design but sllllllllllloooooooowww for games because of this design and the hardware we had) to Windows XP with drivers bypassing some of the error layers just to gain speed I would blame Microsoft for most errors. In NT 3.51 times there had been computers which couldn't run the OS due to a lack of HAL compatibility same as it was for OS/2. Today Windows XP should run an all hardware with the small 'somethings' done work as they should.

Not to blame you for this.

I would like to see something on the patch to for all those who have problems but I have seen some strange things in the past regarding developer/publisher (Simbin) which gave me so much insight that with all this NDA stuff only the publisher can give an answer and sometimes they are just silent :mad:

works like a dream for me...

zx1111 said:

First off it's not Firaxis blaming you but the contrary. Second another or more games working are not a proof of anything. I was in your same situation then one morning my video card blew up. Since it was still under warranty, it was changed with the same model... since then my CTDs disappeared.

zx1111 said:
And Please, please, tell us the real fact, frankly. It is time for you to tell us the truth.

Don't tell us a lie again like "It is in the hand of publisher's QA" or "It will be released very soon / in a couple of weeks", "We are working on it to make it better and bug free, please be patient...", "Cheque is in the mail...." bla bla bla .... to give us an illusion or false hope about patch that it may be just around the corner....

So you know that the patch is not in the hand of publisher's Q&A? You know they're not working on it to make it better and bug free?

Enlighten me. How do you know all this? Is there (which is entirely possible) an article somewhere that I missed? Did someone on the inside tell you (somewhat less likely)?

Or perhaps you don't know any of this. Perhaps you're just talking out of the wrong end of your digestive tract.

Perhaps it's not so much the truth regarding the patch you want, but something to vindicate your feelings that Firaxis are big bad evil people who never cared about customers and never will.

Seems many people here may not have full understanding of what it takes to do this stuff.

Reminds me of how people get angered when a retailer runs out of wares and then people accuse them of not wanting to sell them.

zx1111 said:

Civ4 is in a different league than all of these games. Part of the reason is because it's so customizable. Poor performance is the price for moddability. I'm afraid that one of the previous posters was probably correct when he said that your only hope is probably upgrading or replacing your computer. Firaxis won't be able to change performance that much in a patch.

As people have said to upgrade your machine, that solved my problem. The problem lies with the Minimum Specs they have put on the box. I kept having crashes constantly until I added 1 gig of ram. I have 1.5 gig now & no crashes at all,solved the problem. I have'nt tried the huge map size yet,usually play on standard & large.

There the problem lies. People expect the game to run with the Min spec. & expect to play the game fully,no exceptions.

If they would have put 1.5 gig on the min. spec. for the ram would I have bought the game? I don't know for sure,but I'm glad I did...computer runs my games alot better.Unfortunately some people don't see it that way.Whoever put those specs on the box was flat out :crazyeye:

Anyways I'm looking forward to the SDK to come out to mod the game to my liking.I'd have to say Firaxes did a decent job with Civ 4...I can't even play a Civ 3 game anymore!!!:lol:

I have one gig of ram and can run the game on huge map, wit the highest settings. But I had to turn off the autosave and find the first (of two) drivers for my geforce 7800 go.

jray said:
Civ4 is in a different league than all of these games. Part of the reason is because it's so customizable. Poor performance is the price for moddability. I'm afraid that one of the previous posters was probably correct when he said that your only hope is probably upgrading or replacing your computer. Firaxis won't be able to change performance that much in a patch.
I said that Firaxis can't blame on my computer.
I am not complaining on performance of Civ 4. I can play the game quite comfortably on my computer except it gets bit slower on later part of game with big map. It is perfactly playable even in large-map / later games. The problem is that it crashs and locks up frequently in later part of the game.
If my video card or other hardware was source of the fault, then it should crash from the begining of the game or crash at anytime... But I got most of the crash from the middle to later part of the game. I hardly got CTD on early part of game. This is good indication that my computer/video card is not source of CTD. I have enough physical and virtual memory, too. So the memory can not be source of the problem.
This leaves the game itself as sole source of the CTD and other troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom