Firaxis, please tell us truth about the patch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the patch is done as too is the SDK its sat waiting to be released. so STOP moaning and wait a while longer, I have CTD's every few turns but am i moaning? no I'm just getting on with it waiting for the patch to be released.

boneys26 said:
the patch is done as too is the SDK its sat waiting to be released. so STOP moaning and wait a while longer, I have CTD's every few turns but am i moaning? no I'm just getting on with it waiting for the patch to be released.

The point is it has been finished and just waiting to be releaed for several months now. So where is it?

This entire thread is asking the question: What is really happening to the patch? Just tell us the truth!
And the apologists should just leave the thread: If you don't care, then don't care, and stop harrasing people who actually care about a patch.

We do care about the patch.

What we don't care for is people demanding the truth then refusing to believe all we've been told to date.

Demanding the truth then stating "and "it's still in Q&A testing can't possibly be the truth" can't possibly be the truth" is bullfeathers.

You have been given the truth, or at least something there's no reasonable reason to reject as truth.

Carewolf said:
The point is it has been finished and just waiting to be releaed for several months now. So where is it?

This entire thread is asking the question: What is really happening to the patch? Just tell us the truth!
And the apologists should just leave the thread: If you don't care, then don't care, and stop harrasing people who actually care about a patch.
It may be finished, but what makes you think that they're holding it to be malevolent, rather than just working out the final kinks or stress testing it? Why do you think what they've said so far *isn't* the truth?

Let's face it.
We both, those who insist that the patch is on the way and these who insist otherwise, have no evidence other than pure conjecture and guesswork.
I also believed that there *was* a patch candiadate at end of Feb time frame.
But after that, no one knows whereabout of the patch.
Argument that it is still under the QA process is pure imagination and betrays our common sense. QA process can not take so long ( normally less than a week or even less) and the QA dept is not so busy at this season.
Frankly, I don't know and you don't know at all too what has happened to the White Elephant.
We all are deeply submerged in the abyssal darkness of suspicion and uncertainty.

So I am begging Firaxis to clarify this situation as of today,
I am ready to face *THE* reality directly however cruel it may turn out to be.

Firaxis may not be able to finish or relased the patch in few days or in few months from now or even forever but they can answer my question right now and I am demending it. They don't have any reason not to give us an answer as long as they have a patch in QA dept or anywhere in this world.

Hot new info:

Sid just emailed me and he said there's no patch. Tough break.

For those who have decided that there never was, and never will be any patch, you need to start reading the forums, because I've seen it is several places on the forum, where beta testers definitly say that they have The Patch. People need to realize everything that is going on, things don't happen all that fast when you have a company whose sole goal is to make money. Patchs don't make money, so it gets put on the back burner and if it takes a couple months, they don't care, Take 2. (I guess the name fits, though I guess they've decided to take a little more than two!! :lol: ). (and yes I know that Oggums is just joking)

zx1111 said:
This leaves the game itself as sole source of the CTD and other troubles.
No. It is the combination of the game with your computer that is causing the problems. One of them doesn't like the other, and considering probabilities, the main issue that can be fixed is probably with your computer. Update your drivers, get FreeRAM XP Pro (a free program), ask people who know about computers how to optimize your computer for Civ 4. If you really can't ever get it to work with your computer, return the game. Unless you are really, really rude, I can't see any retail store refusing to take it back -- well, actually, after all this time, I can, if you bought it when it first came out. Store policy is usually mutable though.

Many of us have done things like this, and are now running the game very well indeed. Getting off the soapbox and learning as much as you can about your own computer will serve you well not only in getting this game to run, but in all your future endeavors as well.

lost_civantares said:
and yes I know that Oggums is just joking

:mad:

It's true! Here's the email he sent me...

Dearest Oggums,

I regret to inform you that there will be no patch. Please buy our coming expansion instead, and stop complaining.

Love,
Sid

Meleager said:
Oh, the drama.

It will be out soon enough I'm sure. It is disapointing that whenever I go to the civ4 forums they are filled with complains though. :sad:

Even more dissapointing when I come to forums and they filled with apologists.

Even more dissapointing when I do not find the new patch :p

Just joking, but that´s the main reason I check the forums every day...

My money's on there being no patch until the expansion pack is released. I asked anyone who's so sure that Firaxis (or whoever is responsible in this pass-the-buck-o-rama) will have it to us before the expansion to put their money where their mouth is and say they'll buy it for me if it isn't, but no-one's been that confident, it would seem...

Oggums said:
:mad:

It's true! Here's the email he sent me...

If you lie in the forums you will be banned.

And, as for the patch, as I said before, My impression is that they don't want to release it because it goes with the SDK, the engine the mods need to make expansions, and that could hurt the Warlords expansions sales if released too soon.

zx1111 said:
I said that Firaxis can't blame on my computer.

LOL... yet again ? Firaxis doesn't blame your computer, it is YOU who blame Firaxis for not being able to run Civ4 properly on your computer.

neriana said:
No. It is the combination of the game with your computer that is causing the problems.
Sure. So IS every computer program bug. If a bug occures regardless of condition, it is not bug. It is called "feature" or "limitation". :) The real bug make trouble only in certain combination of conditions. It is develpoper's responsbility that such abnormal condition is prevented in most of the combination of condition of the averge users. If significant part of gamers are affected by similar sympthom on similar condition, it *IS* genuine bug and fault of the game, not the gamers.
neriana said:
Many of us have done things like this, and are now running the game very well indeed. Getting off the soapbox and learning as much as you can about your own computer will serve you well not only in getting this game to run, but in all your future endeavors as well.
I am not computer novice. Kind of local expert in that regard. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3891864&postcount=18
I am kind of computer geek with some formal academic qualification. Don't make a mistake others on the internet with wrong pre-conception that all the computer gamers are just computer-illierate highschool boy.
I did everything within reasonable means. That includes updating drivers or optimizing memory. You should not overestimate what you think that you know something.

neriana said:
No. It is the combination of the game with your computer that is causing the problems. One of them doesn't like the other, and considering probabilities, the main issue that can be fixed is probably with your computer. Update your drivers, get FreeRAM XP Pro (a free program), ask people who know about computers how to optimize your computer for Civ 4. If you really can't ever get it to work with your computer, return the game. Unless you are really, really rude, I can't see any retail store refusing to take it back -- well, actually, after all this time, I can, if you bought it when it first came out. Store policy is usually mutable though.

Patches can fix bugs, but horsehockey design is forever. Civ 4 is a great game, which was rushed out to the door and poorly optimized. Kind of said when you have 1 man (Hark) trumping Firaxis' patch with his own work.

Sisonpyh said:
Patches can fix bugs, but horsehockey design is forever. Civ 4 is a great game, which was rushed out to the door and poorly optimized. Kind of said when you have 1 man (Hark) trumping Firaxis' patch with his own work.

Yeah. I was starting to think my trusty old computer was really buggy, but then I started playing Oblivion a few days ago, and while my computer is way below minimum specs for this game, and I need a third-party plugin to just play the game and overclock the video-card by 25%, the game is quite stable if more than a tad slow.

Amazing that Civ IV manages to make the video driver crash more than Oblivion does..

Carewolf said:
Yeah. I was starting to think my trusty old computer was really buggy, but then I started playing Oblivion a few days ago, and while my computer is way below minimum specs for this game, and I need a third-party plugin to just play the game and overclock the video-card by 25%, the game is quite stable if more than a tad slow.

Amazing that Civ IV manages to make the video driver crash more than Oblivion does..
For me its the oposite.. Civ4 is rock stable.. but I cant play Oblivion for more than 2 minutes without crashing to desktop :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom