1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firaxis, please tell us truth about the patch...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by zx1111, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

If only all games where made on the same platform. This is the problem that game designers face because they have to work with a myriad of different computers and getting it to run perfectly on every computer is near impossible.

2. Willem

Willem Deity

That's not true, there's a number of people on these forums that have been actively beta-testing the patch. If someone tells you that the patch will be coming, maybe they know something you don't.

3. zx1111

zx1111 Warlord

I agree that there *was* a patch candidate which was beta-tested by some people here. But that was more than one month ago. At that time, we all believed that the beta-tested patch candiadate will be released sooner or later after QA inspection.
    Now, nealy two month have passed since the beta-testing is finished but our speculation on the patch release is proved to be wrong: No sign of coming patch untill this date... No one here knows the whereabout of the patch after Feb..
    Do you know any reliable source who told us that they tested/are testing any Civ 4 patch after Mar. 1? None to this date as far as I know.
    So I am asking Firaxis what has happened to the patch candidate some of us had tested but disappeared from our radar scope since end of Feb....

4. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

I had these CTD's early on, too. The fix was to change my video driver. Not one CTD since - and that was before 1.52.

I really don't think that the patch is going to fix these.

5. Oggums

Oggums King

Low blow, low blow. :lol:

This post cracks me up, because to me saying that Civ IV runs worse than Oblivion is the biggest insult ever to Firaxis. I bought every Elder Scrolls game when it came out, except Oblivion (finally learned my lesson), and none of them ever worked right.

6. neriana

neriana Warlord

And if the vast majority of people playing the game aren't having the experience you are having, maybe it's a problem on your end.

I've read that last sentence about five times and still don't understand it. I'm not trying to be mean, since English is obviously not your first language, but I can't respond to it since I can't understand it.

In any case, all I'm responding to is what I've seen you say on the forums. It is extremely similar to what people who do not know about computers say. Many of your reactions appear to be over-reactions, and like those of someone who has never had to deal with computer games before. One of KotOR 2's patches was stuck in publisher testing for months upon months -- I think it was a year, actually. The Elder Scrolls series has always been a mess, EA Games tried to not release any patches for The Sims 2 after University that weren't directly tied to the new expansions, etc. While Firaxis has not been stellar, they have been significantly better than most, and don't deserve the abuse.

Now, if you want to only give your money and time to companies that ARE stellar in customer support, that's your prerogative, and I suggest Stardock's Galactic Civilizations 2 for that. There are bugs, but the developers are in very close contact with the community and seem to be doing everything right. If you want to play games that don't have bugs, I'm afraid consoles are the way to go, though I've read that some X360 games have them. With online connectivity and hard drives, console games may start being nearly as buggy as PC games, but we shall see.

I'm not excusing the state the game was released in, but the patches have brought it up to, and even past, release-state in a relatively short time considering the industry. There are still some people with problems, but there will always be some computers that just hate some games (or vice versa if you want) -- that's the way of the computer gaming world.

7. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

That's because those who was working on the patch is now playing Galactic Civilizations 2 since it came out at the end of Feb. Everyone at Firaxis having so much fun with Galciv2 they forgot about the Civ4 patch. They probably helping Brad with the Galciv2 1.1 patch :D

8. zx1111

zx1111 Warlord

Will you say that only 10% of people in U.S. are belong to minority race, so minority problem or racial inequality is problem in their end, not the problems of the socity? It is problems of the 90%, not probelms of 10%.

As I said in other thread, this Civ 4 is the game with most fatal bugs among the game I bought/played over few years. The only game which was worse than CIv 4 is "Heroes and Might and Magic IV" in year 2002.
    I regulary buy 7-8 PC games average per year so I bought about 20+ game after HOMM4. Most of the 20+ PC game had large and small bugs and some of them had stability problems. But they can be handled with various means like patch or walk-around or I just ignored bug if it is not so fatal. They are just a game. Living and coping with some bugs in game is the ways of life in PC-gaming. No game had so fatal stability problem to degree that renders itself unplayable except one: HOMM4.
    Others with stability problem on release time issued patch rather quickely and rested the problem within couple of months after release mostly.
    HOMM4 was most recent game I abandoned playing the game due to fatal stability problem in few years. Now Civ 4 is becoming latest game I will abandon playing due to fatal stability problems. So I can say that, in matter of stability, Civ 4 belongs to worst 5 % among the the major games.
    Averge life span of normal PC-game is known to be about 3-4 months. The Civ 4 is now dropped off the top seller list. And now it is approaching 6 months since release of Civ 4, and prepares to retire from active life. And significnt part of player are still suffering from fatal stability problems.

If I did not complain on worst 5% of the game which is unstable and unplayabel on the days of 6 months after release, on what game should I complain on? Does only the worst game in entire game history deserve to be blamed and abused? Please take an example (with specific name) of major game that you think that it is more deseves to be abused than Civ 4...

9. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

I personally know of at least ONE person who is still currently Beta-testing the patch, as he uses it when he plays certain MP games (I can't say who it is though-I am sure you can understand why). So rest assured the patch IS coming and-for my part-I would rather they made us wait an extra 2-3 months and gave us a bug-free product, than rushed it out the door and have to then listen to 2-3 months worth of whining about how 'buggy' the new patch is :rolleyes: (odd how those who complain about patch 'lateness' and those who complain about 'buggy' patches tend to be the same!)
    Also, I am tired of all these claims that the patch will only be released as part of the Expansion. The reality is that the expansion is probably not due out until late August, which is more than 4 months away, and I predict that we will get at LEAST 1 patch before that time. Also, the people working on the patch are NOT the same people who work on the Expansion, so its not as though they are diverting resources from one to focus on the other.

Aussie_Lurker.

10. Tom183

Tom183 Chieftain

We're WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY past "soon enough"...

11. zx1111

zx1111 Warlord

As far as I know you can't use different versions of Civ 4 for MP.
    All MP party should use same version to play a MP game.
    ONE person can't use patched version alone in MP. So your claim seems to be rather suspicious to me.

OK. Then, why is Firaxis keeping grave silence on the on-going patch work?
    I am not asking them to release it immediately or rush it any sooner.
    What I am asking to them now in this thread is to tell us the status quo of the promised-but-missed-more-than-month-ago patch
    and to clarify their plan or commitment on the fate of the patch.
    Is it being worked on for now? Then when is the expected date ? or is it scraped? or what?
    I think that it is perfactly resonable request to Firaxis at this moment, isn't it?
    How do you think about it? Am I asking too much? Am I too impatient?

12. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Who said that the other people in the MP games aren't ALSO using this beta-testing patch? I most certainly didn't, but you simply chose to assume that. The fact is that all of the people in these MP games are all high-level members of Apolyton, so it wouldn't suprise me if (a) they all had the new patch and (b) they are specifically testing the new patch for MP compatability.
    As for the reason they are remaining silent? Well as I suggested, it is largely out of the direct hands of the Firaxis staff. They might tell us its due out in 2 weeks, only for one of their testers to discover an previously unknown glitch-one which will take 3 weeks to fix. Can you imagine the outcry if that happened? I believe that they are wise in following the adage 'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.' ;)

Aussie_Lurker.

13. zx1111

zx1111 Warlord

Even in that case, how do you sure that their version is newer and later version than the version Firaxis had in end of Feb ?( which is presumed to be version that was submitted for QA )

They may be just continueing to play the version used during the bete-testing period before end of Feb. There is no evidence that they are using more recent version than MAR. 1. Is it?

Another adage I know is that "Honesty is always best policy".
    Is it right thing to do for responsible and respectable company to cover-up their fault under the carpet and deceive customer to avoid their blame temporarily and to let their paying and royal customers to be left in helplessness and wildness, wondering in abyssal darkness of uncertainty and suspicison?
    It is strategy that shoule be exerted aginst their competitors or enemies, not customers.
    Is Firaxis such an unethical, crooked and unprofessional and cowardly company?

And I think that the outcray caused when they will confess the fact frankly and ask us for more time and patience for a while would be much smaller than current fury and anger of players who feel that they are ignored and abandoned, which was cause by their awkward silence. What do you think that is sensible and responsible thing to do?

14. gdpdht

gdpdht Chieftain

At this point I really don't care about the patch. I feel bad for the people who are unable to play the game, but for me it is at least running without crashes. However, there are still some memory issues, which should be fixed and the latest patch also made the wonder movies play bad.

Firaxis should definately come out of their hiding and tell us what is going on and most importantly where is the SDK? They failed to keep their original promise regarding the SDK so a simple status report is common decency.

If this delay is just a result of the expansion pack then I am certainly not going to buy any more products from Firaxis. Basically I don't care about the XP anyway since the mods on this site are so great and adds so many new civs and units that I really don't see the point of buying an expansion pack, unless it has some usefull new features.

15. Willem

Willem Deity

Yes, I know several. One of them quite well in fact. ;)

16. Willem

Willem Deity

The last time someone from Firaxis came out to this forum to explain the situation, they were horribly flamed by some extremely rude posters. I don't blame them one bit for not coming out again if that's the kind of reception thay can expect.

17. zx1111

zx1111 Warlord

You may have reason to trust them. But your claim seems not so convincing to me. Why should I trust your word?
    Other general public here in CFC including me see no reason or evidence to do so.
    As I said before, show me the money, not empty word.
    Then, why not post the news in their own web site? They don't have to post it in CFC forum or any fan site.

18. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Firaxis is not allowed to say what they want on the forums AFAIK. They are an owned entitiy and I'd imagine that they have to have all communications go through channels now.

FWIW, I know Willem is speaking true, but you don't need to believe me either.

19. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

And you don't need to continue this discussion either, since it's evident you don't want to accept the possibility that the patch is coming out soon.
    If you don't want to believe it, go on, but what is the sense to create a discussion about it ?

20. Reignking

Reignking Prince

Willem knows what's going on, but I agree with zx -- they could easily post updates elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.