Firaxis Reveals Plans for Colonization Patch

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Pete Murray, a marketing associate at Firaxis Games, has written in our Colonization forum that the company intends to release a patch for Civilization IV: Colonization sometime soon. This would be the first patch for Colonization, a game released in September 2008. Although Firaxis has already confirmed certain fixes, they welcome any suggestions or other bug submissions. Among some of the most discussed bugs or gameplay issues that will be resolved are:

- The end of the game is extended once a colony declares independence to give players more time to win
- The Royal Expeditionary force increases more slowly
- Satisfying the King’s demands delays increasing his expeditionary force
- Education points required for graduation increase more slowly
- Increased price of horses in Europe
- AI prepares better for revolution (they may beat you to independence!)
- King no longer adds to his expeditionary force after you have declared independence

This patch should please some of the Colonization players who felt the game was too unbalanced or formulaic.

>> Read more about and discuss this upcoming patch

Nice to know the company is still actually operating, was beginning to wonder

Good news for the Colonization folks.... I wish they would at least make one more official patch for Civ4.

Honestly I don't like the recent track record Firaxis has for supporting their games :(

Good news for the Colonization folks.... I wish they would at least make one more official patch for Civ4.

Honestly I don't like the recent track record Firaxis has for supporting their games :(

I agree that they still need to address some issues in BtS. Even now, something really weird is going on with the corporations. Acquiring more resources for a corporation decreases your profits instead of raising them. Also, with respect to trade in general, after the founding of a corporation the AI keeps offering you all kinds of meaningless deals that aren't even connected to the corporations. Why should I want to trade my wine for a cow when I already have five cows on my own land? It's like the FDA People trying to bribe me into selling the still. Also, they might tone down the espionage a bit, make spies more expensive to produce and the like, and give the players, AI and human, a chance to discover who is behind an act of espionage or terrorism and make such an act a valid reason for going to war without suffering any damage to one's reputation.

As for the Colonization II patch, I suppose it's better late than never, but they should have had the courtesy to inform people about their plans regarding that (extremely needed) patch.

Good news! :D I would to see an option where the game could be played without a constraint on the number of turns. :mischief:

Good news! :D I would to see an option where the game could be played without a constraint on the number of turns. :mischief:

You can. Turn off revolution and Europe victories, and then click "One more turn...." at the end of the turn numbers. You can keep playing forever.

Play forever or until your own turn limit kicks in.

The Colonization Patch is welcome news. I forget to look for patches but any official BTS patches would also be welcome - though one suspects that no more will be in the works...

Play forever or until your own turn limit kicks in.

The Colonization Patch is welcome news. I forget to look for patches but any official BTS patches would also be welcome - though one suspects that no more will be in the works...

I sadly have to agree. BtS does need an additional patch: the corporations feature is still somewhat broken, and you get the weirdest trade offers from the AI once you have founded a corporation. Also, I can't help thinking that they should either dumb down the AI a bit on Noble or else make it somewhat smarter on Warlord. As it is, the AI on Noble plays better than the majority of gamers. Not everyone is an expert Civver who laughs scornfully at any game below Immortal.

Top Bottom