1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Firaxis, thank you for Eleanor

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by exince, Mar 6, 2019.

1. exince

exince Chieftain

Been playing Eleanor lately, and she has become my favorite leader.

Does her ability really help me win? Not really.. its not even needed, if you survive the first 20-30 turns thats unlikely you're gonna lose anyway as the AI fails to be a military threat after that and doesnt really seem to follow any path to victory.

But is it fun to conquer your best friends capital due to loyalty pressure? hell yeah! it is!

Every other civ/leader has its perks, but in the end, it plays the same. With Eleanor you scout, you place your cities and districts accordingly and work on your great persons.

Wish there were more leaders with some "individual" mechanics and perks!

2. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

Oh yes, I absolutely love Eleanor! I was playing one game and I managed to convert three Cree cities all on one turn, lol! It's just so fun taking over your friends, I feel she really does fit "The Court of Love" quite nicely. I also like her color.

3. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

try Mali. They are asymmetric as.. hell, to the point i have a hard time playing them..:)

nzcamel likes this.
  4. exince

exince Chieftain

i may.. but i will probably struggle... just because i struggle with bad production starts :p

5. Haig

Haig Warlord

Haven't played Eleanor yet myself, but she is a dangerous neighbor! Flipped my Ottoman cities ( I have war weariness problems)!

6. jddods

jddods Chieftain

Haven't played her yet but looking forward to it.
    Thank you for posting something positive. Rather than what seems like the usual, the game is broken because of XYZ.

7. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Eleanor is someone I have mixed feelings on, mostly because I expected her ability to work differently than it did. Early to mid-game, Court of Love does jack squat. It's a very strong end-game ability, when you already have built-up some momentum. Nobody can increase a snowball effect as exponentially as Eleanor can. Nobody.

Before you reach that point however (which can range from early if it's small pangaea, to never on huge Island Plates), she's pretty average imo. Still a very satisfying mechanic though, you get to envelop any foreign empire inside of your giant pink amoeba without having to deal with loyalty issues or pesky free cities and that's always fun :)

8. BTSeven7

BTSeven7 Chieftain

I want to see someone OCC an Elenor domination victory all by loyalty flips.

Is it possible?

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I find her flipping ability to be intensely satisfying.

Red_warning and jddods like this.
  10. 679x

679x Chieftain

Man, I wish I had Gathering Storm.. Flipping with Eleanor does indeed look incredibly satisfying. I would definitely appreciate more civs that have a big focus and/or large buff to otherwise obscure or inconsequential mechanics. Maybe something unique related to espionage, like maybe using it rather than conquest to completely take over an enemy civ. Or perhaps peacefully assimilating City-States into your empire like Austria in 5, and permanently acquiring their Suzerain bonus.

LoganInCamo likes this.
  11. LoganInCamo

LoganInCamo Chieftain

I really miss Austria and Venice. Byzantine Empire is another glaring absence.

LMT likes this.
  12. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 Chieftain

I've almost finished a Freleanor CV game, the flipping mechanic adds interest at a point where I usually get bored and start a new game. I couldn't get much traction vs Sweden as they kept pace with Golden/Normal Ages, but I used some Grievances to snipe 2 coastal cities (inc. Stockholm), and the chain reaction began. The new cities easily doubled my river tiles for Chateaus.

She is my 2nd to last new leader to play (Canada eventually), but I'm impressed, in large part due to the fact that this is only the 2nd entire game I will have finished in Civ VI out of hundreds started (Gorgo CV the other)!

BarbarianHunter and 679x like this.
  13. RickSL

RickSL Chieftain

I flipped a whole standard Pangea map. Every last city.

Sadly I had already won a culture victory. However, if that was switched off l would have won a dom victory.

I don’t really know why I chose to do that.

14. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

Technically yes, but most probably you'll win a culture victory first.

I tried with a friend in a multiplayer team game (vs AI), where I played Russia and he played Eleanor and I'd give all my great works to him. Sadly the continent was kinda odd shaped and he only had one neighbor, which was suboptimal.

15. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 Chieftain

Can anyone tell me why I haven't won a CV yet? I reached the threshold 20 turns ago. If I retire it gives me the Loss screen. I have been absorbing a few cities as I go, but I don't understand how I wouldn't be dominant yet over everyone. I guess you have to freaking write down every civ you gain dominance on paper when the notifications arise, as there's no way to find out in-game. Capture.PNG

16. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

As long as Phoenicia is not in the game, Ibrahim is not Grand Vizier, and Statue of Liberty is not built.

17. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

In my last game, I'm allied with Poundmaker, and I took over half his empire on a single turn (four cities), it was so funny seeing half his nation change from blue to pink so suddenly (and peacefully!)

Oh another thing too is you can keep "snowballing" because of Golden Ages. I always try to build Taj Mahal, so every time I flip a city over I get 3 points, and that makes it easy to just keep going and going! :)

altayrneto and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  18. Brutus2

Brutus2 Chieftain

That happened to me once also. The victory just didn’t trigger for some reason and the game kept going. I had to load an earlier auto save from before the turn where i should have won and replay the last few turns. The victory triggered correctly then.

Nigel_Tufnel2 likes this.
  19. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Eleanor was definitely a surprise and she is probably my favorite addition to GS. Lots of fun being a conqueror without ever firing a shot :)

Either you accidentally disabled a CV without realizing it or it's a bug.

Nigel_Tufnel2 likes this.
  20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Not technically, no. At least not by the original civ VI agreed rules in this forum. You could only end each turn with your own city and any captured capitals, but capitals are only allowed in Dom.

CV disabled?
    Send me the save and I’ll see what I can do to make it winnable.
    I can say with 100% certainty that you do not need to get the dominance over all so to speak, just get the bigger number at the top. I tested in a Maori rock band win by just playing at one civ.

LoganInCamo likes this.