Fire damage from Sons of Azena

civ-wrecked

Chieftain
I was playing Infernals and should be able to crush the Doviello easily. However, for some reason unknown to me, I got huge and unlimited fire damage whenever a Sons of Azena unit got killed. My stack ended up getting killed mainly by fire damage rather than by the Doviello attacks.

The fire damage is big, a lot more than a fire ball can do. It seems my whole stack got fire damage up to 24% just by killing a Sons of Azena unit. There's no way I can win that way. Did I run into a bug ?

I get so frustrated, I'm going to restart another game but I want to know if I'm missing something about the Doviello units (or the Infernals units for that matter).

BTW, it's still early in the game and nobody had a mage yet. The Doviello has not got Knowledge of the Ether yet.

Thanks

Yep, it's a bug. Pyre Zombies and Sons of Asena got mixed up in the last patch. Amusingly, fixing the bug doesn't help the fact that the death explosion is absurd on whatever unit ends up getting it.

There's a link to unofficial fixes in the bug thread, I think, if you want to look there.

That worked. Thanks.

Mailbox,
You're right that the fire explosion is rather overdone. However, it's not too noticeable with the Sheaim since I've never seen them spam pyre zombies. The biggest pyre zombie stack I've seen probably has less than 10 units so if I'm a little bit more careful in my attacks (moving one unit up to attack each time instead of moving the whole stack) then it's not too bad. Maybe because pyre zombies are undead and do not provide military happiness, the Sheaim has to built other units as well.
The Doviello, however, do spam units. Their stack must have over 40+ units including around 25 Sons of Azena. With the unintended explosion added, it's impossible to defend against them.

Civ-wrecked, you are lucky guy.
I have fought with a stack of 100+ pyre zombies, not counting some other units...

I usually play at Emperor level. I aim to win between turn 210-260 so there are never any big stacks. My invading army which I use to take over the whole world rarely exceeds 30 units :). I just attacked early, have highly-promoted units and use them to conquer the rest of the civs in the same pangea before they have time to build up. I play Immortal sometimes but not Diety.
In this particular game, after fixing the bugs, I used my stack to kill half of the Doviello stack. Then the Doviello killed the rest of its stack attacking my stack (thanks to Ring of Flames from my priests and the fact that my diseased corpses are much stronger than the Sons of Azena). My loss was zero so I used my stack to kill the other Doviello stacks (mostly wolf units).
Maybe I should play at Diety sometimes. I just want to relax so I just play at levels where it's easy for me to win so I never see big stacks.

Maybe that is the reason...
I also never have big stacks myself, but AI often does. And I am rather a builder, so I almost never win before turn 300. And sometimes I just want to go for Altar vicotry...

Top Bottom