1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firestorm on Steam - Causa EULA

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by civxander, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Ogro

Ogro Chieftain

Depending on what they find and leak we could judge much better if it's a good cause or not. Wouldn't screw everyone, on the other hand, would teach then to take those stuff more serious. I believe privacy is serious, and should not be so easily waived for the sake of playing a stupid video game. Nothing against civ, but it is what it is.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

If you want to be online you will be known and your info will be gathered. How mush is a good question and how much extra will Firaxis get, f-all.
    It is a game company just trying to make a living.
    People out there with nothing better to do take this cause up because they cannot get to the real offenders like governments that definitely seriously breach this. My Niece in NZ is in one of these nasty online groups, I told her is was crap and cut off ties with her because she ruins people’s livelihood through boredom and being misled.

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

That was the previous garbage, I'm referring to the meme and link taxes. The former is annoying, the latter is straight up information suppression.

4. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

Still out of contexr, as you didn’t bold “trough our online store”. So it does not apply to people buying trough Steam (that, in the other hand, may be giving that card ID and personal data to Valve... or to PayPal) whoever receives your money needs to receive personal information from you for the sale contract.

5. Siddorm

Siddorm Chieftain

I was surprised to see the EULA defended so aggresively here, so I skim-read some EULAs of other games to gain perspective. The other EULAs did not seem to me as invasive as the Civ one; I fail to see why Civ "needs to do this" when other games don't. The "pro-EULA" comments made above do not make much sense to me.

6. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

You can play Civ 6 without giving any personal information to Firaxis or 2K. So there's really no connection between the game and a personal information argument. If you choose to create a 2K account - something that has no effect on playing Civ6 and is not tied to it whatsoever - then you have to accept the EULA surrounding creating an account.

Since it's something completely voluntary, and there aren't any gameplay benefits to connecting a 2K account to Civ 6, I don't see why Civ 6 would be being affected by perception of the 2K EULA. It also doesn't look like there's anything particularly wrong with the 2K EULA in terms of what they do with the personal information or who they share it with, but I haven't analyzed it that closely, nothing has jumped out to me as being bad.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  7. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

I see - that wasn't obvious to me at all, but I tend to agree with you that Article 13 and 11 needs to revised - if not entirely rejected.

It is a vague description at best, but the fact that you don't HAVE to buy from 2K stores directly and that they probably won't get those pieces of personal data from Steam (or other non-2K online companies) is entirely irrelevant, since the real issue here is their clear stated intent about gathering and using an unreasonable amount of irrelevant (in relation to the actual games) personal data whenever they can legally get away with it. A very Ferengi policy imo ... "Let the buyer beware!"

8. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

You wanna the kitty scouts, you givva the personal data. No personal data, no kitty scouts. You didn't think we'd give that all that cuteness away for free, did you?

Ogro, Josephias and CyberChrist like this.