Firestorm on Steam - Causa EULA

Why would you hope such a thing? There is a huge problem today with people who get butthurt about something (usually without good cause) and then make it their mission to get their 'revenge' while screwing over everyone else. Like asshats who DDoS MMORPGs, which has a negative impact to hundreds of thousands of players.
Depending on what they find and leak we could judge much better if it's a good cause or not. Wouldn't screw everyone, on the other hand, would teach then to take those stuff more serious. I believe privacy is serious, and should not be so easily waived for the sake of playing a stupid video game. Nothing against civ, but it is what it is.

I hope there is at least one civ player that belongs to major hacking group, and that they break in into 2K, get the personal data of millions of players and dump it the web. That would teach them a lesson.
If you want to be online you will be known and your info will be gathered. How mush is a good question and how much extra will Firaxis get, f-all.
It is a game company just trying to make a living.
People out there with nothing better to do take this cause up because they cannot get to the real offenders like governments that definitely seriously breach this. My Niece in NZ is in one of these nasty online groups, I told her is was crap and cut off ties with her because she ruins people’s livelihood through boredom and being misled.

It already did and has been enforced since may 25th 2018.

That was the previous garbage, I'm referring to the meme and link taxes. The former is annoying, the latter is straight up information suppression.

Which of these (just to name the 2 most obvious ones) are you in doubt about being included by when you are buying Civ6 and DLCs for Civ6 online?

Or are you saying that you are somehow able to not supply any personal information when doing that online? Or have you found a legal way to obtain Civ6 that does not require online activity?

EDIT: Sorry nm, I thought you were asking what the problem was when you were in fact answering someone else. My bad ... but my point still stands! =)

Still out of contexr, as you didn’t bold “trough our online store”. So it does not apply to people buying trough Steam (that, in the other hand, may be giving that card ID and personal data to Valve... or to PayPal) whoever receives your money needs to receive personal information from you for the sale contract.

I was surprised to see the EULA defended so aggresively here, so I skim-read some EULAs of other games to gain perspective. The other EULAs did not seem to me as invasive as the Civ one; I fail to see why Civ "needs to do this" when other games don't. The "pro-EULA" comments made above do not make much sense to me.

You can play Civ 6 without giving any personal information to Firaxis or 2K. So there's really no connection between the game and a personal information argument. If you choose to create a 2K account - something that has no effect on playing Civ6 and is not tied to it whatsoever - then you have to accept the EULA surrounding creating an account.

Since it's something completely voluntary, and there aren't any gameplay benefits to connecting a 2K account to Civ 6, I don't see why Civ 6 would be being affected by perception of the 2K EULA. It also doesn't look like there's anything particularly wrong with the 2K EULA in terms of what they do with the personal information or who they share it with, but I haven't analyzed it that closely, nothing has jumped out to me as being bad.

Last edited:
That was the previous garbage, I'm referring to the meme and link taxes. The former is annoying, the latter is straight up information suppression.
I see - that wasn't obvious to me at all, but I tend to agree with you that Article 13 and 11 needs to revised - if not entirely rejected.

Still out of contexr, as you didn’t bold “trough our online store”. So it does not apply to people buying trough Steam (that, in the other hand, may be giving that card ID and personal data to Valve... or to PayPal) whoever receives your money needs to receive personal information from you for the sale contract.
It is a vague description at best, but the fact that you don't HAVE to buy from 2K stores directly and that they probably won't get those pieces of personal data from Steam (or other non-2K online companies) is entirely irrelevant, since the real issue here is their clear stated intent about gathering and using an unreasonable amount of irrelevant (in relation to the actual games) personal data whenever they can legally get away with it. A very Ferengi policy imo ... "Let the buyer beware!"

You wanna the kitty scouts, you givva the personal data. No personal data, no kitty scouts. You didn't think we'd give that all that cuteness away for free, did you?

Top Bottom