FireTuner code length limit and CLI?

mnf

King
Hi all! I just started to play around with the FireTuner (after all these years) and immediately got a wall in my face.

(1) I heard it's supposed to have an interactive interface where I can just type in print("Hello Live Tuner"); and it will say hello? My FireTuner looks like this

with no place to enter any code. :(

After connecting to a game, it just gets the default set of panels and still can't enter anything.

(2) It seems to have a very low limit on code length. I created a new panel, added a new button and wrote:
Code:
print("1234567890123...");
to print out 100 characters per line, then copy pasted that print statement over and over. It runs fine up to 18 of these, but on the 19th repetition it gives up with the error:
ERR:Syntax Error: [string "print("1234....");..."]:19: unfinished string near '<eof>'
...so each action button is able to take about 2,000 characters (including carriage return).

Is there a way to extend this limit? Or should I just give up and do whatever experiments I want in an actual mod?

----

To add, I'm more interested in modifying UI element behavior than actual gameplay mechanics. I heard (back in Civ5 days) that it's easier to get into modding the game if we start with the FireTuner. Beyond each iteration taking a lot longer with mods, I suppose I don't really see a reason to want to use the FireTuner.

Top Bottom