1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First building in a newly-captured city

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by jahsoldier, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jahsoldier

jahsoldier Warlord

what do people go for? I usually go for theatre (or library) to help expand cultural borders, or barracks if I think I'm going to need to keep fighting. but heck, I'm a noob and keep getting my face smashed on Warlord. Is there anything better?

2. Levgre

Levgre King

granary is always good. Either granary or building that gives the most happiness for me so I can actually work tiles. Sometimes culture buildings...

Slaving units would probably be good too if you really needed them.

One thing to consider is if the city is starving or unhappy you want to whip as much as you can. For example, if you have a size 9 captured city it is nice to whip 4 pop(after it drops from 9 to 8) for a forge.... or even a market if it gives nice happiness. If you had slaved a theatre first you may have lost more population from starvation, and also wouldn't have been able to slave much more.

3. Bob the Barbari

Bob the Barbari Warlord

I usually build theatre, granary then forge mainly because the forge bonus in newly captured cities would be very small without having tiles to work (culture - theatre) and people to work them (granary). But I'm just a noob so don't follow my pattern.

4. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

There is no simple answer. It depends on several things and there are several different situations. I treat each city differently and it depends how much effort is required to get the city working. Cultural pressure and military threat are important factors in some cities.

Defence can be the highest priority and sometimes walls and even a castle can be the first buildings and allows the main army to move on without too many problems from counterattacks. If you have stone or are Protective walls are great instant defence and cheap.

Production can be the best option, or you might want to build a whole load of other buildings or units, so a granary and forge will be beneficial.

Cost can be a problem so a courthouse.

A coastal city might need a lighthouse to avoid starving.

A good shrine might need market, grocer and bank to boost its output.

If you're going to wipe the civ out soon then culture will not be much of a problem; otherwise motherland unhappiness will cripple the city and you need to install several culture buildings (library, theatre and monasteries). Also if the city borders with another civ then culture can be needed.

Late in the game it depends on the type of city it's going to be (commerce or production or mixed) and whether health and happiness need sorting out. Some key buildings will be missing, probably destroyed by you capturing the city, and you need to fill those in to get a fully functioning city.

5. jason77024

jason77024 Warlord

Some quick searching on this topic will find you other similar threads.

6. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

Granary, Forge, then Library or Courthouse depending on whether I need culture.

If caps/land is a problem early on, I'll just whip heavily.

7. dubrown

dubrown Prince

As UncleJJ wrote, it's very situational. To me I almost never build a granary first, for a few reasons.

More often than not you have happiness and culture issues in a newly conquered city, thus growth or health isn't that important immideately after capture. Of course there's some exceptions, like a small sized city may be able to grow right after capture, then maybe a Granary is granted. Else I'll deal with happiness, culture or perhaps economy by a courthouse first.

For happiness it depends on what happy resources I have, what buildings are available and cultureslide setting. A theatre is a cheap way to get happiness and culture if you are running the cultureslide anyway. In a long war it's something I often have to do to combat ww. If I have the AP religion and it's present in the city I normally whips in a temple fairly soon for it's added hammers, else both culture and happiness from a temple is a bit on the low side, atleast mid to late game.

But whatever you build, use the whip, to get rid of population that'll starve anyway or even if not starving just to get the city up and running faster. Two pop whips with overflow gets a city up and running quite fast. The pop you loose from whips will grow back faster and the city will be of more use to you quicker than if you didn't crank the whip.

8. Single Malt

Single Malt Prince

US in the late game is useful if you have a good gold income. If in the late game you have captured a few old cities that are desireable, it may be worth razing any nearby cities that have old culture, but no useful resources and/or buildings. A great work by an GA can also take a city out of revolt and give it a half decent base culture in 1 turn.

9. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

Also, if you have several buildings to slave, slave the biggest first. If you have building slaver with respectively 3 and 4 pop and a 10pop city, you can slave 4 then 3, but not 3 then 4 :)

10. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

It really varies, depending on the city's situation and the game situation. For example, if I'm in the late game and have Eiffel, Theatres aren't as much of a priority. Same thing if I am running Caste System - I don't need a building to get culture and a border pop to prevent starvation.

In my current game, I'm in the middle of an invasion of another continent. Courthouses (in this case, Rathauses) are crucial to keep my economy solvent. I'm building those unless the city is coastal and has an acute food shortage - in those cases I build (or whip/rushbuy) Lighthouses first.

11. Airey

Airey Prince

As many have already stated, it's always situational.

My priority is

1. Wipe out the civilization asap. (if the extra Axeman, Maceman...etc can help me shave a few turns off killing the civ in target, I would do it first) Even non-promoted units.

2. If I would still loose population due to starvation, I would wipe out a Barrack first.

If post-Liberalism, anything to keep my best tiles worked (ie lighthouse, worker...etc), then hammer multiplier buildings will have priority.

12. midwaymas

midwaymas Chieftain

I typically run Caste system for the majority of the game, so I wait a good amount of time before bothering with theatres. Normally I go Courthouse, Forge, Granary, Library, Barracks, and whatever else I need.

13. Kip Beagle

Kip Beagle Sleestak

As with the replies above, "it depends."

If the game is far enough along, I almost always put an airport in first so I can get troops in there fast.

Otherwise, I put a lighthouse in coastal cities first and a granary in non-coastals.

14. mboettcher

mboettcher General

I ususally play as organized leaders so theatre then courthouse right away.

I most likely build whats easiest first. Whatever gets my economy remotely self reliant in the city quickest.

15. BalbanesBeoulve

BalbanesBeoulve Emperor

Build culture for the first border pop.