1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Civ 4 Screenshots!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Jon Shafer, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

2. Jon Shafer

These shots were cropped screenies scanned in from the PC Gamer magazine, so they aren't the greatest quality. Also, it's over a year out from release so there's going to be a LOT of work yet to be done on the graphics. A year's worth of change will likely mean the game will end up looking nothing like these shots.

In any case, there's some interesting info to be gleaned from the shots. :)

[Screenshots removed at PC Gamer's request. Please go buy the magazine to see the screenshots.]

:)

3. rbis4rbb

rbis4rbb Sid

Woa. Looks weird.

4. Albow

Albow Chieftain

is it just me, or does this look CR@P? oh deer me ... why do developers think that we are so shallow as to need pretty graphics to want to play a game? (oh, and by the way, this ain't pretty)

My $0.02 of ranting! (possibly in Euros, as it might be worth more ;)

5. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

6. Warman17

Warman17 NES Grandpa

This thing is still a long ways to go before being up to retail level. This is very early work.

7. Albow

Albow Chieftain

ok, fair enough ... and I guess I don't mind the, um, water ... that looks ok ... hope they do something about the roads tho ...

8. Mongoloid Cow

Mongoloid Cow Great Khan

Whoa! Trippy! I'm not as yet as to what I am looking at (poor quality of the image plays a big part in that). Although from what I can tell, it looks like Civ 1 style tiles, that is to say they are not isometric (twisted by 45 degrees, then raised 45 degrees). The tiles are clearly square if that is the case (sorry to those which wanted hexagons), and they are quite large (Cologne is in the middle of a 3 x 3 territory). I'm not sure how different terrain types work, because the terrain does not match the tiles in a perfect square fashion; just look at those mountains (which I'm guessing are the grey bits).

Edit: OMG! It looks like a board game!

9. Jon Shafer

10. Civrules

Civrules We the People

Man, CivIV! :D
    Great, can't imagine playing a brand new Civ. :)

Yeah, the screenies do look weird (too blended), but I'm not worried.

11. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

So, anyone want to lay any new bets as to when they think the game will be released?

I'm not overly impressed with the graphics (though, as has been said, its early days yet) but some of the actual game info sounds....intriguing (and exciting ;)) especially the zoom in function AND the multiple research paths (though I DEFINITELY want to hear more about this latter feature!)
    Still can't discern anything significant about the combat model, though I hope the unit experience thing doesn't overly benefit the warmongers!!!

Anyway, does anyone else have any thoughts on the gameplay issues raised in the article?

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

12. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Assuming the release date is November 2005, Firaxis still has lots of time to polish the graphics, so I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. :) At this stage lots of stuff are placeholders.

I am impressed that Firaxis made the game (including MP) playable so early.

PS: I have the full scan of the article, but can't post it yet. The folks at PC GAMER wouldn't be too happy if I do. ;)

13. rbis4rbb

rbis4rbb Sid

Ahhh, to be in TF's shoes...I can only dream of all the insider stuff. Now I have to spend $10 on that magazine. Last magazine, though, saved me 60 bucks from buying WoW, because it looked too complicated.

14. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Hmmm, I also know that these are only early graphics, but can anyone hazard a guess as to what the coloured squares, and the grey bar, underneath Cologne might signify?

Also, do you think these are genuine 'multi-unit' graphics, or could they be a joining together of multiple unit types?

I'd be interested in hearing peoples theories-no matter how Wild and Conspitorial they might sound ;) :D!

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

15. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Whats WoW Rbiss?

16. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

The graphics look interesting.

@Aussie - Maybe Gologne's grey boxes indicate unit production somehow?

17. toh6wy

toh6wy Chieftain

It really does look a lot like Heroes IV at the moment. And that's not a good thing. But we'll see what happens.
    As for the actual game info, there's not too much new stuff, but it definitely sounds cool.

18. rbis4rbb

rbis4rbb Sid

World of Warcraft. It's a MMORPG, and I was going to get it, but I read a starter guide in PCG and it was just crazy how extensive and in depth it was. Not for me.

19. LLXerxes

LLXerxes Space Travel is Boring

the screenshots look ok. i prefer the civ3 graphics. the city display thingy is better in civ3

20. Chris85

Chris85 Chieftain

Whoa! That looks weird. I definately hope the graphics are changed before the game comes out. :undecide: