First Civ VI game....

david1806

Warlord
Hi all....

So I had Civ V for awhile, then was without a PC for awhile, just got a new one and found Civ VI for just £10, so here I am - playing my first game of it now. I'm on turn 378, 1957, and I have destroyed 5 out of 7 capitals for a Domination victory. So I've just landed my forces on the other continent that the other two civs are and as I found destroying the other five capitals fairly easy, I thought this would be no problem....how wrong was I!

I could see that his city (US, Washington) was close to the sea, so I thought it would be easy - land my forces, move them to within range and job done. Not only is there a mountain range in the way but i really need to read up on ZoC. It is taking me for ever to move my units a few hexes, and in that time they are getting absolutely decimated!! The screenshot is only showing the units I have left, I have lost a bunch in such a short time. Obviously I am going to have to reload and rethink my strategy (I always save the game before I make any major move).

Anyway, I have enjoyed the game, but what's with the other Civs denouncing me constantly. Early on in the game, other civs were starting all the wars, I didn't start any - yet all they have done since is denounce me for being the warmonger!! Eh?!?

I still have Civ V on my PC, so my next game is going to be a Civ V game. I read somewhere today that there are many people who are staying with V, saying it's a better game. Any thoughts?

Cheers all.......
20190901001205_1.jpg

I could see that his city (US, Washington) was close to the sea, so I thought it would be easy - land my forces, move them to within range and job done. Not only is there a mountain range in the way but i really need to read up on ZoC. It is taking me for ever to move my units a few hexes, and in that time they are getting absolutely decimated!! The screenshot is only showing the units I have left, I have lost a bunch in such a short time. Obviously I am going to have to reload and rethink my strategy (I always save the game before I make any major move).
Well, a few things here. First, America's leader, teddy, has an ability for +5 strength when fighting on his home continent. Second, he is using mechanized infantry and has jet fighters; these are a tier ahead of your infantry and artillery. You may wish to strongly consider an upgrade. That'll add considerable combat strength you need.
Second, teddy has a lot of jet fighters. Aircraft are some of the strongest units (I see you are playing the base game, not Gathering Storm, where they are even more powerful) and they can shred your boys. You'll need to bring along a mobile SAM support unit or destroyers/missile cruisers, which will help shoot those jets out of the sky. Alternatively, bring jets of your own via carrier.
Speaking of which, missile cruisers parked 3 tiles from Washington could easily blast those city defenses without risk of returning fire.
Or you could just Nuke him...

Anyway, I have enjoyed the game, but what's with the other Civs denouncing me constantly. Early on in the game, other civs were starting all the wars, I didn't start any - yet all they have done since is denounce me for being the warmonger!! Eh?!?
The declaration of war itself is of minor consequence compared to capturing and razing cities. You're taking capitals and likely other stuff; this makes you look like the bad guy. The path of peace is not easy.

I still have Civ V on my PC, so my next game is going to be a Civ V game. I read somewhere today that there are many people who are staying with V, saying it's a better game. Any thoughts?
I played some 4 digit # of hours of civ5 and I have to say civ6 is, with its expansions, the superior product. This is, imo, due to the district system and the lack of rigid 4 city tall meta. Gathering Storm's natural disasters are also extremely fun and help spice up games. The only thing I think I prefer at this point is civ5 had probably a better balanced strategic resource system for combat, although the combat of civ6 is on the whole better balanced IMO - pikes aren't OP and ranged units aren't the murder machines they are in 5.

I also happen to think the civs themselves are a lot more fun in 6 than 5 just having so many more unique attributes. I can see Civ5 BNW edging out Civ6 vanilla for some, but Civ6 GS is a vastly superior product to vanilla.

Civ5 is great to play but the path through the tech tree is sort of optimised while VI is more situational. V still has far better air combat, 6 is still fairly broken. You are landing in a place where America has jet fighters, if you do not, you are going to be chewed up if they start using them

I have a ZOC link below if looking for a full list of ZOC info, in game info is poor.

You will find them denouncing each other as well but to be honest you have chewed the world up with your domination. Denouncement does get a bit tiring, once denounced your trade deals are far less fruitful and cannot have open borders, these are downsides for diplomatic and cultural victories mainly.

I have uninstalled Civ 5 because for me Civ 6 is just so much better and more fun.

Civ 5 is too straightforward and misses many of the cool details Civ 6 has.

Currently on Steam Civ 6 is more played but 5 is not that far behind. But Civ 6 is also available on iOs and Switch so there is bunch of more players.

Also on reddit and civfanatics Civ 6 discussion is more active, Civ 5 runs on slower computers though so it is good choice fot many.

Of course you play what feels fun for you.
Hope you get good games on 6.

Civ5 is great to play but the path through the tech tree is sort of optimised while VI is more situational. V still has far better air combat, 6 is still fairly broken. You are landing in a place where America has jet fighters, if you do not, you are going to be chewed up if they start using them

I have a ZOC link below if looking for a full list of ZOC info, in game info is poor.

You will find them denouncing each other as well but to be honest you have chewed the world up with your domination. Denouncement does get a bit tiring, once denounced your trade deals are far less fruitful and cannot have open borders, these are downsides for diplomatic and cultural victories mainly.

I think you forgot your link :). Ot maybe im stupid. Either could be.

Hi all....

So I had Civ V for awhile, then was without a PC for awhile, just got a new one and found Civ VI for just £10, so here I am - playing my first game of it now. I'm on turn 378, 1957, and I have destroyed 5 out of 7 capitals for a Domination victory. So I've just landed my forces on the other continent that the other two civs are and as I found destroying the other five capitals fairly easy, I thought this would be no problem....how wrong was I!

Cheers all.......View attachment 533829

The current AI defends remarkably well in my opinion (with a pair of small *). So u need to be really careful when putting such a move.

So the thing is, they are gonna be hard but you probably have more cities and more production. I would take control of their sea first. If you have the sea you can support your land troops while in the coast.

Also don't go for the Capital, take a group of weak cities that may be easier to take and close to each other so you can hold the loyalty. Once you have land, your units will be able to heal and erode their troops in a defensive position while they want to retake their cities.

Push when you are strong and they are weak, hold back when you are weak and they are strong, and you may do it. (This advice is from Sun Tzu not me, so follow it) This tactic is the one I often end using, sometimes unintentionally. But is fun, works, and you don't feel you are exploiting the AI.

Also, I know this is hard, but concede defeat from time to time. The most fun I have with the game is after i fail in a miserable way, and I have to rethink my strategy or plan a better assault.

Last edited:
Look at Victoria's signature. ;)

Haha, in honor of trying to not appear very stupid, i must say that the phone version of the web probably cuts out the signature.

But if I'm wrong, please pretend I may be blind in addition to stupid. I will check later at home, and let you know if my mental health is in danger.

EDIT: Confirmed, at home I can see the signature. The question of my stupidity is still on the air :)

Last edited:
Hi all.....

As always when I post on Civ. Fan., super helpful replies from super cool people!! Thanks all....

Yeah, I kinda guessed when he started to wipe my army out using his airpower - as soon as I landed - that I was in for a rough ride. I have reloaded, thinking I could go down the Science Victory road, as for most of the game I have been way ahead with science....but nope! Our man Teddy (him again!) has not only caught up with me, he has gotten way ahead and is in the process of a Science Victory himself, and I really don't think I could catch up with him. The one thing I could do, because my score is way higher than any other civ, is hang in there until turn 500 and just hope that Teddy doesn't make the Science Victory beforehand - but that's very unlikely I think. So, I think I might just retire the game out - you win some you lose some - although maybe not, I'll have a think about it!

But jeez, this game has sucked the life out of me the last few days - I have literally been working or at home playing Civ - it is brutal when it comes to the "one more turn" business, it really is. Luckily I work 4pm-midnight, so I really can stay up all night playing Civ....!!

Thanks again....

Oh, and thanks for the ZoC link Victoria, I will give it a read, because for sure it made a huge difference to my utter failure when landing. I really couldn't move - I had visions of my army landing and swooping in and wiping out his capital within a few turns. Not quite how it turned out....!!

@david1806 Well Civ5 was the best until Civ6 came along. Now Civ6 is the new champion of the series. There is a lot more things to do in 6. Just wait till you play with the expansions! I am finishing up a really good game right now and it's been a blast. The more you play 6 the more you will enjoy it.

Top Bottom