1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Contact Planning

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by DaveShack, Aug 3, 2012.

1. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Wow, very excited to see we made contact, and to see the great drafts in this thread! I agree we should send the message ASAP. With Sommers, Caledorn, et al on the team, I think Diplo is where we can really shine in this game!

A couple very minor suggestions:

Edit: Crosspost, glad to see the message was sent!

2. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I'm glad to see your only suggested modifications was a grammatical error and a typo, Yossarian! :D My usual pedantry went out the window because of the rush to get this sent ...

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Yossarian is correct on the grammar. But let this be a theme for our Diplo...

"NEVER let the perfect be the enemy of the good"

"A good communique in an hour is better than a perfect communique in 24 hours"

4. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Guys, we need to come to an agreement on the drafts. We could run into another team any day now, and both I and the ambassadors need to know what we are allowed to send off as speed is essential in first contact situations (I would prefer us to always be the ones to send off the first message if possible).

Here is my suggested draft (in english) for non-RP teams:

Here is the suggested draft by talonschild for teams that RP (in english), with a few minor modifications done by my hand:

Is there anyone who would like to modify anything in these drafts? Please say so, as soon as possible! Also, please state your approval/disproval of sending a copy of these drafts (depending on what team we meet) within a few hours of meeting the team.

In regards to the length of NAPs, please also state your approximate preferred length (This is where the diplomatic team will have to use some gut feeling, as we're simply not going to be able to send out a message quick enough if we need to discuss that every time we meet a new team, thus we need something to work with from the team).

5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

6. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Well, with no suggestions to the drafts, I did the Spanish translation.

Original:
    Spoiler :

Spanish:
    *I used the word for "soldier" here because to the best of my knowledge, the word for "unit" translates only to mean a unit of something. Of course, it could be that I just haven't ever heard it used the way we are using it in the English message. The reason I point this out is because the Spaniards start with Hunting and a Scout, so maybe there is room to say a scout is not a "soldier" so they can enter our borders. However, the next part says "which also would be a declaration of war", so I think we're covered.

**This sentence sounds awkward to me, but I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, earlier I had translated talonschild's message, without Caledorn's revisions. I haven't touched it since then.

Cal's English Original:
    Spoiler :

Spanish translation (of earlier version):