First Deity Win!

krakedhalo

Warlord
First /stories post, and first post to CF in almost a year. I just got my first deity Civ5 win, and I need to tell someone about it. I can't send it to the HOF (legendary resources) and my wife doesn't care, so I'll share with you.

Napoleon and his intrepid but outgunned, outnumbered, and seemingly overmatched settlers arrived on their continent and noted silk, whales, and pearls all nearby. It was a good land indeed, and a monument was constructed right away to commemorate the occasion. They sent a group of warriors out exploring, who found only a very small continent, and met Cape Town, the only neighbors. Immediately they found more culture among some ancient ruins, and used it to begin studying Tradition. Soon the government became more interested in the notion of Liberty, first finding a second worker, then a settler to found beautiful Orleans on a marble deposit in the southwest. The wandering warriors, now spearmen, captured a Cape Tonian worker, and all set to work improving La France.

A far off civilization, not yet met, built the great lighthouse before we'd discovered sailing, but our builders constructed Stonehenge, best of all henges and the first of many wonders to come. In time, the Oracle, the Great Wall, the Hagia Sophia, Pyramids, and a host of other culture-centric wonders were constructed, many with the help of great Engineers.

Soon soldiers of the great Montezuma appeared in caravels, truly wondrous vehicles to a people still in the dark about the secrets of Bronze Working. In truth, Napoleon crapped his pants a bit at that.

A third city, Lyon, was soon founded, and trade negotiations with Monty were arranged. He eagerly provided luxury goods on a 1-1 basis, and offered to share in scientific research arrangements. All the while, he built up a massive military and overran the smaller city-states on his large home continent.

Once the French had three houses for watching their beloved opera and all of the cultural wonders to be had, we began producing military. From one spearman, we soon had a brave fleet of 8 caravels, with an equal number of crossbowmen. Not enough to stop an invasion, perhaps, but just enough to deter one.

As our scientists uncovered the power of coal, the Aztecs learned to unleash the power of the atom. Soon they were in space. But would they be fast enough? Our government philosophers revealed a new policy every five or six meeting-turns for several hundred years. We even constructed a newer, shiny, floating Opera House in the bay of Orleans, granting one of the last policies we needed. We were then experts in Tradition, Liberty, Piety, Patronage, and Freedom. No less than eight landmarks to our greatness dotted our landscape, and the last two great Artists gave their talents to begin a Golden Age. We showed the world that Utopia was possible. Without ever firing a shot, and by 1914 France had beaten the deity Montezuma.

Deity/Duel/Continents/Quick
No barbs/legendary resources
Napoleon v. Montezuma
1914 - 1191 points:king:

Thanks for listening! Off to try it again, this time with HOF rules.

You built all those wonders...on Deity?!?

The full wonder list from that game:

Angkor Wat
Great Wall
Hagia Sophia
Hanging Garden
Louvre
Notre Dame
Oracle
Pyramids
Sistine Ch.
Stonehenge
Sydney Opera House

As I said at the end, I replayed according to HoF rules (standard resources instead of legendary) and with barbs, which ended up being a much bigger challenge than the lowed resources. A few restarts due to barbs, but I ended up killing it. Missed Angkor Wat, but other than that I got all of the above plus five more

Brandenburg Gate
Chitzen Itza
Colossus
Kremlin
Porcelain Tower

1888 finish, which is pretty good, but for a score of 2171, blowing out the HOF score table for that category.

Also, I think my choice of Montezuma as a competitor had a big effect. He hardly ever goes cultural, just builds up an enormous military, and on Duel Continents, he doesn't have nearly as much reason to get pissed off at me - I'm not stealing his land or settling too close to him, and until I get caravels, I can't be infringing on "his" city-states, so he just piddles along getting nowhere toward more peaceful victory conditions.

It's also possible the AI knows how bad it is at naval invasions, so he never really got started there, even once he became less friendly. Had he started bringing in forces, a sizable number of caravels can do more good in defense (killing embarked units) than a much larger land-based military.

If you're looking to cook maps for winning on deity, I imagine going against Germany or Mongolia on duel continents would work well, since the former will likely work up a load of warriors and low cost trash units and shank his gpt, while ghengis tends to spam keshiks for a similar effect, which he'll probably use against city states. They're both rubbish at peaceful wins. If either tries for a naval invasion like you said, caravel his embarked army :crazyeye:

Top Bottom