First Emperor Domination Victory

shumble

Emperor
Thanks to some of the great posts on this site, I was able to revamp a lot of my strategies and post a fairly easy Domination Victory on the Emperor level. The victory was achieved in year 1828 with a final score of 4874, almost 2000 points better than any of my previous victories). Of course, you do get better scores when you own most of the land in the world.

I play the 'vanilla' version. I begin all my games with the following defaults:
standard size, continents, temperate, normal climate, roaming barbarians, all victory conditions turned on, and 7 Random AI rivals.

In this game, it just so happened that all 8 of us were packed onto one large continent so I never had to develop any sort of naval superiority which probably made it a lot easier.

I started off with slow expansion since I wanted to try building a Settler farm, courtesy of the Intro game in the War Academy. I had my settler farm going in 2350 B.C. and my 1175 BC, I was able to catch up to the largest civ. In 750 BC, I began a war with the Americans who were caught completely off guard, but 250 BC they were history. I now have 6 more cities than the Iroquois, the only civilization that will later be able to challenge my domination quest.

It is now 400 AD, and I have basically eliminated the Indians except for one small city in Babylonian territory which I do not want to bother with for now. The bad part is that some of these Indian cities will flip, but I will conquer them back if that happens. I also have a military alliance right now with the Babylonias so they will probably finish the job soon.

The picture below shows the game at this point, if I know what I am doing to try to attach a picture to these posts. :mad:

Attachments

• Pers400.JPG
    Pers400.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 124
Congratulations!. If you edit the post you can attach the picture by "manage attachments" or you can upload the picture using "upload file" near the bottom of the page, and link to the uploaded file.

Upload the picture to here, then click the link to uploads9 folder, right click on your civ link, select copy shortcut, and paste that in between the two img tags.

edit: Crosspost with Bartleby.

Okay, so I don't know how to properly attach pictures. Too bad, it would have given you a feel for where I was at this point and made this thread more interesting. If anybody reads this and can tell me how to add an image, maybe there is a way to edit the threads and I will go back and do it.

Anyway, at this point, I made my first mistake which is why the game lasted all the way to 1828 AD. I should have attacked the Iroquois since they were dispersed from warring and had numerous cities near me that I could have won quickly. They were also a huge empire and would end up threatening later on.

Now it's 680 AD and I sat passively by and watched the Iroquois get stronger as they easily wiped Japan and the Aztecs off of the globe. They are now too strong to go after at this point so I begin mobilizing to get rid of Babylon on my western border.

In 720 AD, I begin my battle, but it is rudely interrupted in 1270 AD when the Iroquois declare war against me. I sign a hurried peace treaty with the Babylonians and rush my forces down to the southern border to meet the treacherous, but powerful Iroquois.

<A little side note, all my inner cities are guarded by 1 warrior and/or 1 immortal, I have been spending all my time building offensive units like knights and immortals that I built only 1 or 2 spearmen the entire game. Unfortunately this leaves the middle of my empire very susceptible if my southern border should fall>

So now frightened by what could be a collapse, I rush knights down to try to meet the initial onrush of the Iroquois. Things start off okay when I take over Tokyo, but they easily take it back and push into my easy inner cities and take over Delhi(there go the Pyramids I had captured) and Zohag with Cavalry (they finished researching it right after they began their war with me. Rats, I don't have Cavalry yet). I have no choice, but to sign a peace treaty and give them practically everything I own. My defenses are too weak to fight them and all of a sudden they have Riflemen and Steam Power. Uh oh, I'm falling behind in techs.

yeah, 1320, Delhi flips back to me. I have Pyramids again. I stop warring and begin consolidating. I have Nationalism now also after some trading with Zulu and Babylon. Intereseting move by AI, Economics and Free Artistry hadn't been researched yet so instead of continuing with Industrial Age techs, Iroquois begins researching old techs. I start researching Electricity with my eye on Replacable parts. Do my last bit of tech trading with the Zulus and Babylonians who by this time are falling pretty far behind. Somehow, I have managed to pass the Iroquois in techs and would never fall behind again. The Zulus and Babylonians don't like me anymore :(

In 1385 AD, I attack the Iroquois. I know have a large number of Cavalry who are just waiting to test their Musketmen. I quickly take over 3 of their cities and estroy their initial onrush. They sue for peace, I accept and begin building Banks and Universities in my core cities. I need to begin research my own technologies, the AI's just aren't getting them fast enough anymore with all these wars going on. The Zulus have almost been eliminated by the Iroquois; they and the Baylonians will survive the entire game though with small island cities that are inconsequential to the game so I let them live.

In 1615 AD, now with a strong economy, infantry and artillery, I am ready to eliminate Babylon, Iroquois will have to wait since they will take all my attention and I don't want to have to deal with Babylon on my western border at the same time.

1675, Babylon is no longer on the continent, I don't feel like going after their Island cities so I make peace. Yes, Theory of Evolution was just created in one of my cities. Bye bye AI's. Hmm, Iroquois just got Replaceable parts, this will make the war last a little bit longer.

Techs are no longer important though. This game will end before tanks are discovered.

In 1758, the final battle begins. I move a large contingent of artillery, defending infantry and Cavalry to my borders. I pound the cities that I can reach from my borders until all the units in each city are down to 1 health point and then my Cavalry snatch up the cities.

The Iroquois counter with tons of Cavalry, but now my border cities are defended by 4 infantry each and most of the Cavalry turns are used up crossing into my borders (I had already pillaged all their railroads along my borders). Using my artillery, I destroy their incoming force and manage to defeat most of their Cavalry with very little loss to my own armies. Now, Iroquois is in trouble, they do not have much left with which to defend.

It is now 1806 and I have captured Salamanca, their capital city. Cool, Sun Tzu Academy was there and now I can heal my units in the cities that I capture. This game is basically over.

How do I know how much land I need to achieve the domination victory? I don't know how to figure that out. Guess I'll just keep capturing cities and buying libraries until my borders are large enough.

Not much left to tell, slowly but surely, I use my artillery to destroy their infantry and my Cavalry to take over cities until finally in 1828, a Domination victory is achieved.

Well, I guess this story is under the wrong thread. I didn't mean to write this much or take pictures when I started. I better get to work. Got here at 7:30 AM and now it is 10:00 AM, and all I've done is played Civ and write this post.

Attachments

• Pers1270.JPG
    Pers1270.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Pers1760.JPG
    Pers1760.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Pers1814.JPG
    Pers1814.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Pers1828.JPG
    Pers1828.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 46
How do I get my 4 attached images into the appropriate places in the text?

Thanks for that thread. It helped out, as you can see.

Does anybody know how to get rid of the surrounding white space when using Paint?? I would rather my picture not come through so large.

shumble said:
Thanks for that thread. It helped out, as you can see.

Does anybody know how to get rid of the surrounding white space when using Paint?? I would rather my picture not come through so large.

Method 1) Place your mouse over the little blue dot on the lower right corner of the image, when the mouse becomes double arrow pointer, resize the image by dragging the mouse.

Method 2) Go into the Image->Attributes... menu, and resize the image. Use ctrl-z or Edit->undo to undo the damage that you did when you cropped too much of the image :D

Method 3) use the "select" tool (that the dotted rectangle on the upper righthand corner), select the part of image that you want, copy it.
Next, create a new file, go into the image->attributes... menu, and resize the empty image to as small as possible (like 1 pixel by 1 pixel), then, paste the copied image into the new file. The new file should resize to fit the copied image exactly.
Last, save the new file :)

Thanks, The attributes menu is handy; next time I have a post like this I will use it. This time, I inserted the pictures into Word, cropped them down and then repasted them into Paint. Is still don't have nice even pictures, but they will do for this post.

Top Bottom