First game in 3 years :) - earth 18 civs, england.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by twilson1972, Apr 7, 2015.

1. twilson1972

twilson1972 Warlord

Hey all

After a long hiatus ive decided to give civ 4 another crack, straight into a scenario, emperor difficulty as liz (who i remember was my fave leader)

I was just wondering if anyone plays the earth 18 civ map?. If so am i setting myself up for a painful return to the game as england with the limited space?. I tend to not be particularly aggressive early on, but suspect that might not work here.

2. Framesticker

Framesticker Prince

Playing Emperor Earth18 Civs as ENGLAND is indeed ambitious :) I'd recommend you start with something else (like Monarch/Continents with a leader you like or something) but if you do still want to play this scenario, you will be limited to very few cities. Early aggression is somewhat of a must

3. twilson1972

twilson1972 Warlord

Ill struggle on with England on earth map, i guess i should be more aggressive early on!

Roll on sleepless nights and a nagging wife :lol:

4. Mizar

Mizar IM

England is actually not too hard.
    Build a second city in the north.
    Get to galleys ASAP and drop on Paris which should have a wonder by that time.
    Next target is Rome before they get Praets, then Germany and the (probably holy city) in Spain.
    This can be done with relatively easy up to Immortal. (don't forget to give Archery to the AI in WB or it becomes too easy).
    Once you have Europe secured (which is awesome land) the game becomes a fun romp and plays as every European start.

5. twilson1972

twilson1972 Warlord

well i came to play and realized i didn't have a clue what i was doing any more :confused:

Ive forgotten the tech tree, important techs etc completely

So, i treated it as my first ever game and went all the way down to noble, and boy am i making a pigs ear of it lol, i am just bumbling along really with no plan

Any ideas where to go from here? All very embarrassing

Ill play a few noble games, then monarch and hopefully then back to my old level (i was always an emperor player)

Attached Files:

6. Nexlev

Nexlev King

space race with England is easy squeezy.

build the great lighthouse and everything after that is completely optional. Once you have astronomy you'll want to head to south america

7. twilson1972

twilson1972 Warlord

I actually took the opposite route, got riflemen and pounded through europe (against longbows)

Its a proper slogfest though with the flipping- and the difficulty is too low so gonna start on a higher level.

I am addicted again though, at 1 am i suddenly realized i was very tired and had been playing for hours :lol:

8. floydmcw

floydmcw Warlord

Not sure what's so hard about Lizzy in E18. There is room for three cities in England and they're fantastic. (Would you rather have Cathy or Genghis' crap starting location?) You can put a city in Ireland and when the Scottish city expands its borders, a city in Iceland -- great Maori city. Also since you'll want the GL you should have early sailing and be able to ferry 2-3 settlers over to Scandinavia before it's fully populated.

Then you can attack anyone on the continent who looks weak (usually Louis), with no real need to defend your own cities.

:)

9. twilson1972

twilson1972 Warlord

I restarted on monarch and got a big tech lead, but- the war through europe and asia is wearing me down as its a real slog, i always love huge maps, but not so much conquering them :)