[R&F] First Game utilizing Religion

row2infinity

Chieftain
Almost completed my first game where I actually used religion. I've been playing since Civ6 was released, but never was interested in religion. Also the case while playing Civ5. I usually play on Immortal and win 9/10 games. I began a game as Russia on Emperor Continents (also the first time I've really tried Russia. I'm prone to use Aztecs, Nubia, or Persia. Maybe Macedonia). I started off getting a pantheon pretty quickly because I found a relic (oddly enough I didn't start in tundra. I always thought Russia's start bias was tundra, but maybe that's not always the case?" I went with Earth Goddess because I've never gotten a pantheon quick enough before to get it, and I've read about it plenty on this forum. Wow. Churned out a settler for a second city quickly, a few warriors for the time being, and plopped down 2 Lavra relatively quickly using a production focus on both cities once they hit 2 population. Got a great prophet soon after that and went for Synagogues and Jesuit Education and later on Crusade. Gobbled up most of Persia and some of Korea before really putting Crusade to use by creating some missionaries, all the while building libraries when I had enough faith so that I could focus all production on military units and settlers (and builders). Wow. I'm about to win a culture victory around turn 250, I've got my great writers, artists, and musicians than I know what to do with. Bought a space district with Reyna just to pass the time. I usually like to get all my warmongering done pre-renaissance so that I can enjoy some friendly relationships and alliances later in the game and play world peace keeper by liberating city states around the globe, and I was able to do just that in this game allying with Rome and India nicely. Not sure if this is an amazing strategy or I'm just on Emperor so it feels easy. Looking forward to trying this out on Immortal, and hopefully getting a crack at Deity sometime.

TL;DR: I'm late to the religion game, and I regret not looking into it earlier.

Anyone else have a similar experience/different religious strategy (by that I mean using religion but not for a religious victory).

I always thought Russia's start bias was tundra, but maybe that's not always the case?
It's bias is always tundra but it's a bias (i.e. preference for, tend towards) rather than a guarantee.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/a-deity-strategy-for-poland-singing-hussars.635478/
This looks like a really fun strategy by Mr. Shadows using Faith for Domination, and really pushing Culture hard. Maybe not the best approach for a second Religion game (it's unconventional), but it is a great thread.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-of-the-week-indonesia.636921/
A weekly discussion of each Civ, there are links in the first post in recent weeks for the Civs that have been covered. Check out any of the Religion/Faith-based Civs for interesting takes.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lautaro-lunacy.636635/
This is a really fun game/strategy recap by d_b, and again, a very different take on using Religion in a Domination game. I have barely played Laturo, and have never started Civ VI in later eras, so may give this one a try sometime.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/r-f-religious-notes-deity.636797/
Another write-up by d_b, this one is actually for a RV, but also summarizes a lot of great approaches. Make sure you check out the Strategy & Tips sub-forum, it isn't always very busy, but it has been my favorite page since, well, whenever I stumbled onto the forums (90s?).

My past 20 or so games I have been building Holy Sites 1st, as I really enjoy Faith as a commodity.

I always try to get religion and spread it. I am a wonder-monger and always try to get the +4 faith for each wonder. Another good one for a wide religion is +2 gold per city following the religion. That really pads the bank account nicely.

Once I have the faith rolling in, I get Monumentality from a Golden Age and faith-buy settlers through the mid-game to rapidly expand my civilization. That works well no matter which civ you use, or whether or not you are going for a religious victory.

Top Bottom