First game with April patch

Phoenicia can easily be the wealthiest civ, and they can jack up yields for colonial cities by placing their capital in their least populated continent. This leads towards diplomacy, science, and domination the most imo.

Note that you'll start in the Levant. You can move the capital to Carthage, and settle Carthage for that matter, later on but if you have a lot of African cities (and you should), you may loose colonial bonuses you would otherwise be able to make great use of.
Thanks for the reply! I noticed the coast of Anatolia has been mostly left alone by the ottomans. I have another question, if I move my capital will my previous city still have the palace? And if it does does that mean autocracy would get better and better after each capital move?

Trajan on Mediterranian Map with maxed out Civs..removed Geneva but put in Venice and Bologna. No Netherlands or Russia is odd. Miss the Normandy Mod with this one.

I finished my first game. Was going to do TSL earth, but did seven seas instead, with Spain. Science victory, emperor difficulty. One of the easiest wins I've had in ages. Spain getting such good internal trade routes (if you start near a continental border) early is insanely overpowered, you can grow your cities to all have campuses so fast, and buy a lot of libraries. Plus, Missions come earlier now and make pretty good science tiles. Spain is probably not a top tier science civ now, but I would probably put them just under that. Which is a big surprise considering that at launch they were barely scientific at all!

I finished my first game. Was going to do TSL earth, but did seven seas instead, with Spain. Science victory, emperor difficulty. One of the easiest wins I've had in ages. Spain getting such good internal trade routes (if you start near a continental border) early is insanely overpowered, you can grow your cities to all have campuses so fast, and buy a lot of libraries. Plus, Missions come earlier now and make pretty good science tiles. Spain is probably not a top tier science civ now, but I would probably put them just under that. Which is a big surprise considering that at launch they were barely scientific at all!

But how early is Spain really getting these trade routes, though? You get one early, sure, but then you have to start using up your early district slots on commercial hubs instead of holy sites and campuses. I'm not sold on the idea.

Mali. Huge true start map. Deselected all African civs and city states. Going for cultural victory (more challenging that diplomatic or religious, given I've put everything else in my favour).

Portugal, deity, marathon, small continents, with SS M&C H&L Barb clans. Will choose my victory according to how things develop, already conquered Egypt's capital but she started it...

But how early is Spain really getting these trade routes, though? You get one early, sure, but then you have to start using up your early district slots on commercial hubs instead of holy sites and campuses. I'm not sold on the idea.

True, but for science victory, you can skip the holy sites (although I'd still recommend one in the capital so you can at least get your own religion). Just build a commercial hub/harbor first, then a campus, in your second-and-later cities. Two district slots is easy to get.

I went random, fractal"splinter" (or how is it called?), emperor, barb clans, shuffle and SS, epic speed.
Got Australia and the preserve spots interfere with my outback stations. Has been a while since I played an appeal - focused civ. It's fun so far but I'm not long on the game yet...

Finally got to start a game earlier. I went with Khmer with Game modes: Barb Clans, Corps, and SS.

I managed to get the Great Bath along with River Goddess pantheon quickly. :goodjob:
Because of that I almost missed out on a religion so I had to quickly go back and get Mysticism after I got Classical Republic as my first Tier 1 govt. Managed to squeak by and get the last religion and picked up Reliquaries and can build Gurdwaras.
Oh and I have Voidsingers. :mischief:

Last edited:
I finished mine - Spain religious victory. Huge map, industries and corporations mode, apocalypse mode, continents and islands. Barbarians provided more challenge than the AI who seem to be a bunch of lazy slugs.

They gotta fix that "not improving luxuries" bug.

I finished mine - Spain religious victory. Huge map, industries and corporations mode, apocalypse mode, continents and islands. Barbarians provided more challenge than the AI who seem to be a bunch of lazy slugs.

They gotta fix that "not improving luxuries" bug.
Not going to happen anymore.

Says who? He's just making stuff up. Firaxis hasn't said whether we'll get any more patches. I suspect that we'll get at least one more.
What part of "final patch of the year" do you NOT understand? We might get one in 2022 or not but it is clear that Fraxis is giving civ a rest for now... until either civ 7 or NFP season 2 gets announced.

What part of "final patch of the year" do you NOT understand? We might get one in 2022 or not but it is clear that Fraxis is giving civ a rest for now... until either civ 7 or NFP season 2 gets announced.
There is the whole part where they talked about over the year giving out all of the New Frontier pass. Meaning when they said year, they meant the season.

There is the whole part where they talked about over the year giving out all of the New Frontier pass. Meaning when they said year, they meant the season.
Yeah well not expecting an update in May, June or July. In fact I don't expect any news till at least September.

Yeah well not expecting an update in May, June or July. In fact I don't expect any news till at least September.
Now you're talking in language that makes sense to me. That said, you've move quite a bit to probably nothing for 4-5 months, from nothing anymore ever. I wouldn't be surprised if we get one more patch in the time frame of August-October, and then they moved on to a new game. It's still possible, though I would call it fairly unlikely, that we get nothing else. Best case scenario we get another season or mini season (half the size), due to the success of the NFP- which they have indicated exceeded expectations.

Now you're talking in language that makes sense to me. That said, you've move quite a bit to probably nothing for 4-5 months, from nothing anymore ever. I wouldn't be surprised if we get one more patch in the time frame of August-October, and then they moved on to a new game. It's still possible, though I would call it fairly unlikely, that we get nothing else. Best case scenario we get another season or mini season (half the size), due to the success of the NFP- which they have indicated exceeded expectations.
It is clear we are stuck with what we have for a quite a long time.

And what we have is probably the best it has been so far. Does it have flaws? Absolutely. Is it in a fairly solid, playable state? Definitely. We just recieved a good patch, the biggest we've had so far. It would probably be more popular if people weren't so worried the game is done (based on what others have commented), as we can all see areas for improvement. We just recieved more than a third expansion's worth of content over the last year. As is, I feel confident saying it is better than Civ V, which was done by this point, and a very good game. It's okay for them to take some time after a straight year of regular content before they offer anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom